ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32-IP console - rebooting itself?  (Read 1273 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Midas M32-IP console - rebooting itself?
« on: February 27, 2024, 11:49:46 AM »

So I had an unusual incident happen on me this past weekend at an event with a full Midas M32 console. Hoping to find some answers.

Powered it up, started patching, 5 minutes passed by and everything froze on me, no meters were working, faders weren't moving when selecting different pages, nothing...
Turned it off and back on, booted right up. 10 mins pass and it rebooted itself!  :o
Everything came back on just fine where I last left off, another 10-15mins passes, reboots itself again!
There was no thumb drive installed, power was stable, no issues with that.
I checked to see what firmware version it was on, and it was 4.09
So I reinstalled the latest version from Midas website, successfully booted it back up and everything was ok.
15 mins passes and it reboots itself for a 3rd time.. By this time I grabbed my M32c/DL32 rack and put it to work and the rest of the night went great.

Does this sound like a hardware issue? Power supply issue? I wasn't able to load the previous version but potentially could be a firmware issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
Re: Midas M32-IP console - rebooting itself?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 02:44:41 PM »

So I had an unusual incident happen on me this past weekend at an event with a full Midas M32 console. Hoping to find some answers.

Powered it up, started patching, 5 minutes passed by and everything froze on me, no meters were working, faders weren't moving when selecting different pages, nothing...
Turned it off and back on, booted right up. 10 mins pass and it rebooted itself!  :o
Everything came back on just fine where I last left off, another 10-15mins passes, reboots itself again!
So I reinstalled the latest version from Midas website, successfully booted it back up and everything was ok.
15 mins passes and it reboots itself for a 3rd time.. By this time I grabbed my M32c/DL32 rack and put it to work and the rest of the night went great.

Does this sound like a hardware issue? Power supply issue? I wasn't able to load the previous version but potentially could be a firmware issue?

With that many self-reboots in such a relatively short time period, I would hazard to guess an internal power supply issue is most likely the cause. At least that would be the first thing to rule out. I would say firmware being the issue is unlikely, else there would be tons of similar reports.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 02:55:21 PM »

With that many self-reboots in such a relatively short time period, I would hazard to guess an internal power supply issue is most likely the cause. At least that would be the first thing to rule out. I would say firmware being the issue is unlikely, else there would be tons of similar reports.

Noted.. Thanks. It was a house console, so who knows how old it is.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »

Yeah, definitely sounds like a hardware issue.  First thing to check, of course, is if the power cord is connected tightly at both ends.  Yeah, that can cause problems!

Odds of it being a software issue are pretty low.  These consoles tend to be rock solid in that aspect.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 04:25:20 PM »

Hardware, likely power supply.

Do you use a UPS?  With another brand and a couple years before the X32, I had a number of incidents like you observed.  A UPS powering the mixer seemed to end most of those, but eventually the console PSU failed, too.  I think the UPS took care of a "soft" mains supply that the "fail in progress" PSU wasn't able to deal with, but was happy with stable 120VAC 60 Hz.  Until it wasn't.

Of the dozen or so X/M32 I've been responsible for or operate on a consistent basis, I've had one unit that lost part of the PSU and it was repaired at Music Thing's "care facility" in Las Vegas.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 04:40:37 PM »

Yeah, definitely sounds like a hardware issue.  First thing to check, of course, is if the power cord is connected tightly at both ends.  Yeah, that can cause problems!

Odds of it being a software issue are pretty low.  These consoles tend to be rock solid in that aspect.

Hey Brian, yeah I changes the IEC just to be sure after the second reboot...
They certainly are rock solid which is why I was so perplexed that this was happening. I've never seen this behavior even with my old X32 which is now 11 years old!

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 05:56:08 PM »

Not specifically said yet in this thread, but the consoles will reboot if the AC mains voltage goes below 85 volts for something like 1/2 of one AC waveform. They have a lot more slack on this in Europe and 240volt places, as there's a lot more space between 85 and 240 than between 85 and 110 or whatever.

That's where the UPS earns its money.

If you were in a bar and the coolers kick in and the supply is soft, that could easily drop it long enough to be a problem.

The fact that this is a house console in the place would argue against this being the issue, as it would have happened to them a lot if it happened twice to you in a few minutes.

I've had non-locking IEC connectors wiggle loose, which is why I only use locking ones on the consoles now, but you seem to have addressed that issue.

And since you seemed to cover both those issues in your post, my money is also on that individual mixer having a problem with the power supply and needing service.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 06:58:18 PM »

Not specifically said yet in this thread, but the consoles will reboot if the AC mains voltage goes below 85 volts for something like 1/2 of one AC waveform. They have a lot more slack on this in Europe and 240volt places, as there's a lot more space between 85 and 240 than between 85 and 110 or whatever.

That's where the UPS earns its money.

If you were in a bar and the coolers kick in and the supply is soft, that could easily drop it long enough to be a problem.

The fact that this is a house console in the place would argue against this being the issue, as it would have happened to them a lot if it happened twice to you in a few minutes.

I've had non-locking IEC connectors wiggle loose, which is why I only use locking ones on the consoles now, but you seem to have addressed that issue.

And since you seemed to cover both those issues in your post, my money is also on that individual mixer having a problem with the power supply and needing service.

Hi Dan,
Correct, I traced back the power to a 50amp hubbell twist to an L5-30 split so I know the AC power wasn't the issue, I also did a quit meter on the power at the same time of switching out the IEC and it was showing 119v.
I notified the house tech at the hotel I was at and told him about the situation and he said he would placed a call into their administrator to have that checked out and serviced. Thankfully I had my M32c/DL32 rack system in my trailer so I pulled that out to run the sound check and show that night.

I'm purchasing a new M32 full console in the coming weeks, hopefully I dont run into the same issue.  ;)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 07:44:29 PM »

It's impossible to guarantee that your board will be issue free, but for as many as are out in the wild, they've proven to be much more reliable than some of the older stuff the company made.  Turns out they're better at designing gear than making cheap copies of other people's stuff. :)
Brian Jojade

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 09:45:11 PM »

I haven't gotten a new console of any sort since pre-pandemic by a year or two, but I did get a full size X32 and it looked and felt very different from the earlier ones.

The earlier ones all had hidden screws holding the faders and other bits in place, the new one had screw heads visible all over the place. Some knobs were a little different, too.

That was as far as I got into it, and that one was sold off once I realized I didn't really need full-size consoles anymore.

But I do believe they are making lower cost versions of their own products. Oh, and the M32 Live felt cheaper than the older M32Rs. More lighter duty or something. Still working, though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 09:45:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.