ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Si Compact noise  (Read 831 times)

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
Soundcraft Si Compact noise
« on: February 24, 2024, 10:05:47 PM »

So I only pulled this board out twice a year for a volunteer event that I do.

I made the amateur move of letting the video guy try to connect USB into the Madi card. He wanted to do a multi track recording.

That may be unrelated to the issue at hand, but I started noticing some real weirdness going on shortly after. Initially, I observed my channels were clipping while muted.

I started thinking I was seeing some really bizarre RF noise.

By scene three, I had to pull the plug. In 25 years, Iíve never had to completely shut down.

I started watching and noticed that the noise would come on channels 1 through 16 and then 17 through 32 cycling back-and-forth.

The first course of action I took, was to disconnect the USB Feed, and unpatched all of the direct outs. The issue persisted.

Then proceeded to do a complete system reset but the issue persisted

I have since reset channels, reset, buses, reset  patching, and reset all.

Iíve been watching the board now for about 30 minutes and the problem has not resurfaced but of course I am greatly concerned that I have not been able to replicate this problem with any consistency.

Anyone have any ideas?

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Soundcraft Si Compact noise
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 08:18:11 AM »

Any luck with a cause on this issue?

This is far reaching, but it almost appears like the recorder may have taken over the console via the USB (not sure if that's even a possibility with Soundcraft, or with the recording device used).  The clip lights illuminating, noise cycling between banks of faders; seems like something else was in control.

You mentioned watching the board for about 30 minutes.  Is this with the board at your location, or the location where the issue occurred?

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 08:58:39 PM »

Any luck with a cause on this issue?

This is far reaching, but it almost appears like the recorder may have taken over the console via the USB (not sure if that's even a possibility with Soundcraft, or with the recording device used).  The clip lights illuminating, noise cycling between banks of faders; seems like something else was in control.

You mentioned watching the board for about 30 minutes.  Is this with the board at your location, or the location where the issue occurred?

Board did not move. I reset everything and then watched it. The final show went off without a hitch. Tried reconnecting the USB and could not replicate the issue. BUT the guy really couldn't remember what settings he used so that wasn't exactly scientific either. I'm leaning towards replacing the board since I can't replicate the issue.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 12:16:22 AM »

I'm leaning towards replacing the board since I can't replicate the issue.

Drastic, but I'd probably do the same thing.  When gear acts up, it has no place on my show.  I don't like to give second chances!

But, since you did system reset, you'd think that any setting in the device would be wiped.  Since you saw the error in half the channels at a time, I'm thinking maybe a power supply issue.  Did you have the unit on a UPS?  It's possible that it was just a brownowut or something that caused it to act up.

The other thing I'd make sure of is check to make sure you're on a secure WIFI network.  SO many shows I run into leave a wide open WIFI and with Mixing station on an iPhone, well...
Brian Jojade

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 08:53:31 PM »

Anyone have any ideas?

One from left field:

I've seen similar behavior on other brand consoles when Clocking went awry. Any chance the USB/Madi connection tried to take over?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Branko Pucekovic

• ja sam peder.
    • akaj
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 07:06:10 AM »

So I only pulled this board out twice a year for a volunteer event that I do.

I made the amateur move of letting the video guy try to connect USB into the Madi card. He wanted to do a multi track recording.

That may be unrelated to the issue at hand, but I started noticing some real weirdness going on shortly after. Initially, I observed my channels were clipping while muted.

I started thinking I was seeing some really bizarre RF noise.

By scene three, I had to pull the plug. In 25 years, Iíve never had to completely shut down.

I started watching and noticed that the noise would come on channels 1 through 16 and then 17 through 32 cycling back-and-forth.

The first course of action I took, was to disconnect the USB Feed, and unpatched all of the direct outs. The issue persisted.

Then proceeded to do a complete system reset but the issue persisted

I have since reset channels, reset, buses, reset  patching, and reset all.

Iíve been watching the board now for about 30 minutes and the problem has not resurfaced but of course I am greatly concerned that I have not been able to replicate this problem with any consistency.

Anyone have any ideas?
I had a similar problem with SI Expression. In the end, after a new motherboard and I don't remember what else, we changed the power supply and since then it has been working without error. The whole process took months because the problem appeared totally randomly. Sometimes the mixer would work fine for a week and then start acting up again.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 07:06:10 AM ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.