ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I found a use for bad audio  (Read 1183 times)

scottstephens

I found a use for bad audio
« on: February 01, 2024, 10:53:03 AM »

Hey All,

So I thought that I was losing my passion for doing this crazy job. I was wondering about having a fire sale and just getting rid of everything or almost everything. I kept thinking: I am 56 years old, I don't want to buy anything else. But it must have been the winter doldrums.  I went to church with my wife the other day and the audio was terrible; loud, harsh, the voices were "poopy" sounding. The kid soundman was doing nothing to help them. The acoustic guitar sounded like a plastic thing from Walmart. I almost went nuts. It is a decent system, EV  QRx, Crown amps,  Shure QLX mics, and the ubiquitous x32. I kept thinking, it should sound better than this!  Then I wanted to run to the back and FIX it.  Thank God.  I mean what else would I do?!  I still want to do this.  But I still don't want buy anything else. Thank God again. Cause everything is paid off and making me money.
   And by the way, yesterday, I found a use for a Sound Tech speaker, you can stand on them to reach something. 

It's been a good week.

Scott

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: I found a use for bad audio
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 11:02:02 AM »

Hey All,.......   I found a use for a Sound Tech speaker, you can stand on them to reach something. 
It's been a good week.
Scott

And it didn't collapse on you?  A good week indeed !
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 01:54:56 PM »

Hey All,

So I thought that I was losing my passion for doing this crazy job. I was wondering about having a fire sale and just getting rid of everything or almost everything. I kept thinking: I am 56 years old, I don't want to buy anything else. But it must have been the winter doldrums.  I went to church with my wife the other day and the audio was terrible; loud, harsh, the voices were "poopy" sounding. The kid soundman was doing nothing to help them. The acoustic guitar sounded like a plastic thing from Walmart. I almost went nuts. It is a decent system, EV  QRx, Crown amps,  Shure QLX mics, and the ubiquitous x32. I kept thinking, it should sound better than this!  Then I wanted to run to the back and FIX it.  Thank God.  I mean what else would I do?!  I still want to do this.  But I still don't want buy anything else. Thank God again. Cause everything is paid off and making me money.
   And by the way, yesterday, I found a use for a Sound Tech speaker, you can stand on them to reach something. 

It's been a good week.

Scott
Must be one of those old ones like I used in the 90's as a drum fill  -all rat-fur plywood with metal handles and grill.  Not only could you stand on it you could use it to wedge the pack from rolling in the truck.   I've seen too much crap audio products that are plastic and too rounded to stand on if they didn't crush first, with many being too light to even use as a reliable doorstop.

Yes pro audio has been a bit of a curse -hard to enjoy shows or events anymore without consciously willing and straining yourself to ignore the PA issues.
Which is sad because the gear nowadays is lightyears better than what we all started with and affordable too.

The advent of word processing didn't make everyone a pulitzer award author, same goes for pro audio I guess!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 05:13:24 PM »

I unfortunately had to quit volunteering at a church I used to go to due to differences with the newly established AV team 2 years ago post COVID. Mix sounds like shit now but I could care less since the new team is paid and I was doing it for free all these years.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 05:35:54 PM »

I unfortunately had to quit volunteering at a church I used to go to due to differences with the newly established AV team 2 years ago post COVID. Mix sounds like shit now but I could care less since the new team is paid and I was doing it for free all these years.

The last HoW that asked me to help out seemed surprised that I had a duties and wages contract for them.  I've yet to have a burning bush tell me to work for free.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 10:10:48 AM »

The last HoW that asked me to help out seemed surprised that I had a duties and wages contract for them.  I've yet to have a burning bush tell me to work for free.
+1

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 02:41:13 PM »

I had a similar but opposite experience when I moved to Savannah. My policy for helping out any non-profit is that I either do it for free or full rate. Anything in between sets up a dynamic where both sides think they are doing the other a favor which inevitably leads to resentment and hurt feelings. I joined the local megachurch and volunteered my copious experience to help them in whatever way they chose. While there seemed to be some initial interest in the skill set I brought with me, over time it became apparent that they really weren't all that keen on my involvement. In fact, It felt like I was met more with suspicion than acceptance. It was a very weird dynamic. I got on well with everyone, but all my offers to assist [for free] never went anywhere. The whole thing made me crazy for a while because it didn't make sense, and I really have a hard time with things that don't make sense. I have a few theories about what the whole deal was, but ultimately I just gave up trying to figure it out and let it go.

I did play on their music teams for the entire time we were there. I even filled in as the "Worship Leader" for a while when the staff position was vacated. So, Apparently that fit in with their volunteer framework a little better? idk...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 02:56:43 PM »

... sounded like a plastic thing from Walmart...

Speaking of Walmart Speakers - I was impressed by the clarity and projection of this little guy mounted on the side of their building the other day. Tried to zoom up as best I could but still couldn't read the logo.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 03:22:59 PM »

I had a similar but opposite experience when I moved to Savannah. My policy for helping out any non-profit is that I either do it for free or full rate. Anything in between sets up a dynamic where both sides think they are doing the other a favor which inevitably leads to resentment and hurt feelings. I joined the local megachurch and volunteered my copious experience to help them in whatever way they chose. While there seemed to be some initial interest in the skill set I brought with me, over time it became apparent that they really weren't all that keen on my involvement. In fact, It felt like I was met more with suspicion than acceptance. It was a very weird dynamic. I got on well with everyone, but all my offers to assist [for free] never went anywhere. The whole thing made me crazy for a while because it didn't make sense, and I really have a hard time with things that don't make sense. I have a few theories about what the whole deal was, but ultimately I just gave up trying to figure it out and let it go.

I did play on their music teams for the entire time we were there. I even filled in as the "Worship Leader" for a while when the staff position was vacated. So, Apparently that fit in with their volunteer framework a little better? idk...

Perhaps, they were of the mindset that if it was free, it was worthless?  If you were paid, they might have taken you more seriously?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 05:22:57 PM »

Perhaps, they were of the mindset that if it was free, it was worthless?  If you were paid, they might have taken you more seriously?

Believe it or not, that goes a LONG way.  Free or cheap gets treated as free or cheap, and it's really weird.

I USED to occasionally donate services.  Every time, I got essentially screwed over.  Now, no more. No discounts to ANYONE.  AND, I make sure I'm priced at the highest end of my market.

If I DO feel like donating my services, I write a check as a donation.  Now it's flat out amazing how differently you get treated when you are paid your full rate for a job AND you are one of the larger donors writing a check as a donation.

Net dollars may be the same, but wow do people appreciate you differently.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 05:22:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.