ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing Crown amp  (Read 2013 times)

Jaspreet Singh

Replacing Crown amp
« on: November 25, 2023, 11:13:38 PM »

One channel on our Crown XTi 4000 went out and now I'm running 4 JBL monitors, 2 PRX 400 and 2 MRX 500, on 1 channel temporarily. The XTi 4000 has been discontinued.
Can I switch it to a XTi 4002 without any problems?
It seems like a pretty obvious question and answer but I just want to be on the safe side. Do you have any other recommendations on another amp you guys like?

Also one of our JBL PRX615M speakers has been giving bad audio. There are 2 of them, one is good and one is distorted, and I'm thinking of swapping them out together. What would be an equivalent to the PRX615M? It has since been discontinued as well.

The system has been installed since 2012 and is used daily.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 12:19:54 AM by Jaspreet Singh »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Replacing Crown amp
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 01:19:59 AM »

Yes a Crown XTi 4002 will work well.

There are dozens of other options none of which will yield any appreciable advantages.

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:51:05 AM »

Crown's XTi series amps have fairly powerful built-in Digital Signal Processors (DSP).  They sit one notch below Crown's I-Tech series in Crown's portable amplifier lineup.  If you are not using the amp's DSP features you can save some money by shopping a little lower in Crown's product range.  For example, the Crown XLS 2502 has 775 watts at 4 ohms stereo and retails for about $500 less than the XTi 4002, which has 1,200 watts at 4 ohms.  I think the XLS 2502 would be a good match for the JBL speakers that you listed in your post even though it is less powerful than the XTi 4000 that died.

Another way to save a few bucks is to shop for used amps.  The XTi 4002 is a current model from Crown, so it should be repairable in the future, which is not the case for a lot of older amp models.  There is a used XTi 4002 on B&H Photo's website right now for $725, which is a pretty good deal.  There are also quite a few used XTi series 2 amps on Reverb.com.

One last idea that I"ll throw out there is to use this as an opportunity to improve your monitor speakers.  Depending on your needs, you could put the $1,200 cost of a brand new XTi 4002 towards buying new powered speakers. 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 11:58:20 AM »

As mentioned double check to see if the XTI4000 was doing any processing for the monitor mixes, the front panel screen will show icons along the top indicating processing blocks that were in use, post a picture!

You would need at least Crown's Band Manager software to look at the processing and copy it into a new XTI amp.

If the amp is not doing any processing the XLS series does have a variable high pass filter option that is always handy on a monitor mix.

On your PRX615M speakers have you swapped speakers side to side just to make sure it's the speaker. It could the amp module or simply a bad speaker or driver, speaker or driver replacement would be a fairly simple fix, the amp module not so much.

Jaspreet Singh

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 10:35:10 PM »

As mentioned double check to see if the XTI4000 was doing any processing for the monitor mixes, the front panel screen will show icons along the top indicating processing blocks that were in use, post a picture!

On your PRX615M speakers have you swapped speakers side to side just to make sure it's the speaker. It could the amp module or simply a bad speaker or driver, speaker or driver replacement would be a fairly simple fix, the amp module not so much.

I did these 2 things and all I had to do was parallel the signal from channel 1 to channel 2.
I had the PRX615M check out and were are just going to replace it. Its repairable but I dot want something else going out in the future. Thank you for your help!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 10:35:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.