ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Jackery Explorer Battery Powered AC Inverter  (Read 2654 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Jackery Explorer Battery Powered AC Inverter
« on: May 20, 2023, 12:15:39 AM »

I recently picked up a Jackery Explorer 880 AC Power Inverter from Harbor Freight on sale.

Usage will be for small wedding ceremony PA, roughly 500W system.

Anybody using these things?  Testing at home, it will power up my full home entertainment system up to about 1/2 power level which is probably peaking around 750W at those levels.

It's quiet, no noise - seems like it should get the job done.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Jackery Explorer Battery Powered AC Inverter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 09:29:17 AM »

We bought an Ego Nexus unit with four batteries after doing the math on the extra labor  to deploy the cable ramps required for rallies at the capital and it worked fine for speech systems. Not sure I'd count on it for systems with deeper draw duty cycles like heavy music.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 09:44:27 AM »

I'll take a wild guess and let the other more knowledgable people chime in.  You need to know how much power your PA system consumes, not how much power it outputs.  If the PA is 50% efficient outputting 750 watts, and the 880 can deliver what the specs say it can deliver, it looks like you'll get about 30 minutes of operation time.  If you have a lower efficiency class A amp you can probably play a couple songs before the power is gone.  Amplifier power efficiency is complicated...  Assuming the 880 puts out clean power (maybe a big assumption) I'd try it out at home, play some music and see what happens.
Mark McFarlane

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 02:03:44 PM »

We bought an Ego Nexus unit with four batteries after doing the math on the extra labor  to deploy the cable ramps required for rallies at the capital and it worked fine for speech systems. Not sure I'd count on it for systems with deeper draw duty cycles like heavy music.

My thoughts exactly Casey.  For a wedding ceremony it's 1-3 songs, perhaps 30 minutes of low background music, low enough so conversations can be had and then the clergyman for the actual ceremony.  Low demand and about 45 minutes give-or-take of duration.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 02:32:47 PM by Steve-White »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 02:18:15 PM »

I'll take a wild guess and let the other more knowledgable people chime in.  You need to know how much power your PA system consumes, not how much power it outputs.  If the PA is 50% efficient outputting 750 watts, and the 880 can deliver what the specs say it can deliver, it looks like you'll get about 30 minutes of operation time.  If you have a lower efficiency class A amp you can probably play a couple songs before the power is gone.  Amplifier power efficiency is complicated...  Assuming the 880 puts out clean power (maybe a big assumption) I'd try it out at home, play some music and see what happens.

Hello Mark,
Yeah, with the setup running Full Tilt the Jackery may hold it up for 30 minutes or so.

Home Testing?  "Testing at home, it will power up my full home entertainment system up to about 1/2 power level which is probably peaking around 750W at those levels.

It's quiet, no noise - seems like it should get the job done."

Testing on the home entertainment whole house music/video system is ~3 times more power draw than the wedding setup will be.  Initial testing shows it will work.  Also did some testing with a small electric heater, which I use in multiples when load testing my generators.  On low the heater pulls ~650 watts and it holds that fine on a 30 minute test.

What I'm looking for is someone with experience using the Jackery - i.e. are they any good?  Relative to sizing and load, it looks be about right for intended usage.

I didn't look at the output on a scope, it's quiet so it works.  They claim it's sine wave output, no idea if that's true or if it's stepped.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 03:46:57 PM »

You got me thinking Mark, so I slapped a voltmeter on it, then double checked it against a Fluke 101 DVM.

Reads 109V RMS no-load and 108V RMS with ~650W load on it.  Ran it for a full hour with the 650W heater resistive load on it and it showed to have 23% left on the battery.  The first 30 minutes it used 40% according to meter, so battery capacity metering is decent.

108V is pretty low, but may be in tolerance for grid power is some areas where the standard is 110V.  Dunno, amps seem to run ok on it, of course they wouldn't come up to full power, but this application doesn't get anywhere near that.

Think I'll look at some comparison testing videos on these things - not 100% sold on using this thing for contract sound work yet.

I was really hoping for a plug-and-play solution and not have to do variac testing on the amp racks to determine input voltage tolerance.

@ 108V RMS, I'm not impressed the output or lack thereof for the Jackery Explorer 880.

Oh well, so much for that plan.

I want the thing setup in a standard 19" road case, so maybe it's going to be a DIY component build.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 04:24:25 PM by Steve-White »

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 04:50:45 PM »

I want the thing setup in a standard 19" road case, so maybe it's going to be a DIY component build.

If the unit gets hot, putting it in another case may cause premature failure.
Mark McFarlane

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 05:25:03 PM »

If the unit gets hot, putting it in another case may cause premature failure.

Correct.  Front to back inlet -vs- exhaust airflow is mandatory and is a definite design consideration.

So, here what I'm at.  Less Money / More Time -vs- More Money / Less Time.  I always seem to find that paradigm.  Found a buck/boost 500W autoformer in eBay for ~$40 and since this rig will hold 650W for an hour, it will work.  Put the line boost transformer on it with +12V patch and it's 120V RMS, slap in in a SKB blow molded case with proper baffling for front to back air flow and I'll have a $1000 solution in a 19" case that gets it done.

Just takes a little time.  Off to ordering the Acme Electric T181047 Buck/Boost Transformer/Autoformer.

I'll post some pictures and test results when it's done.

I considered abandoning the Jackery and giving it to a pal for camping, but I want the setup in a standard blow molded SKB 19" rack for compatibility with the amp rack and mix/receiver racks so they can be mounted semi-permanently on a hand truck if I take that opting and ride nice in the truck with other gear.

Thanks for kicking the brain in gear Mark!

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 05:40:20 PM »

...Thanks for kicking the brain in gear Mark!

Glad to help.

Mark McFarlane

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 12:23:34 PM »

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-880-portable-power-station

Just to be sure the Jackery Explorer 880 was functioning correctly, I looked at the specs.  They claim output of 110V, so at 108V under load it's working properly.

It'll probably run things just fine @108V RMS, but I'm going to go ahead and boost it up 12V to 120VAC to maintain full headroom in the amps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 12:23:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.