ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sprinter van radiator fan wiring?  (Read 444 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

Sprinter van radiator fan wiring?
« on: June 28, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »

I'm hoping somebody here's been there done that concerning wiring in a manual "on" switch for the electric radiator fan in a Sprinter van?  I'd dearly like to do that to my 2006 Sprinter (diesel): be able to electively turn that fan on before the computer thinks it needs it, because the computer's idea of when the extra cooling per the electric fan is appropriate is crazy hot... something like 235 degrees.  I'd just as soon kick that fan on when the heat gauge starts creeping up past 210, or when I know it's 100+ out, like it is today, and I know the van is loaded to the gills, and I know I'm about to pull a 5 mile long 5% grade... like I know I have to do repeatedly this summer.  I thought I had a cleaver method of splicing in a switch to the thermostat sensor plug... because unplugging that connection forces the fan on, but then if I break that circuit with a switch, I'm guessing the temp gauge quits working... and I'd just as soon have that gauge working if I'm concerned enough about the engine getting hot that I elect to turn on extra cooling.  I understand the radiator electric fan relay is under the driver's seat... and I'm thinking I could maybe switch activate that relay, but I'd just as soon switch the low amperage side as force feed the 30 amp pos. side feeding the fan, but I don't know if the low amp side is 12v DC activated or what... might be some computer square wave information signal, I don't know.  And "no", my Sprinter doesn't have AC, so I don't have that option to kick on the aux radiator fan.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Sprinter van radiator fan wiring?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:01:21 PM »

I'm hoping somebody here's been there done that concerning wiring in a manual "on" switch for the electric radiator fan in a Sprinter van?  I'd dearly like to do that to my 2006 Sprinter (diesel): be able to electively turn that fan on before the computer thinks it needs it, because the computer's idea of when the extra cooling per the electric fan is appropriate is crazy hot... something like 235 degrees.  I'd just as soon kick that fan on when the heat gauge starts creeping up past 210, or when I know it's 100+ out, like it is today, and I know the van is loaded to the gills, and I know I'm about to pull a 5 mile long 5% grade... like I know I have to do repeatedly this summer.  I thought I had a cleaver method of splicing in a switch to the thermostat sensor plug... because unplugging that connection forces the fan on, but then if I break that circuit with a switch, I'm guessing the temp gauge quits working... and I'd just as soon have that gauge working if I'm concerned enough about the engine getting hot that I elect to turn on extra cooling.  I understand the radiator electric fan relay is under the driver's seat... and I'm thinking I could maybe switch activate that relay, but I'd just as soon switch the low amperage side as force feed the 30 amp pos. side feeding the fan, but I don't know if the low amp side is 12v DC activated or what... might be some computer square wave information signal, I don't know.  And "no", my Sprinter doesn't have AC, so I don't have that option to kick on the aux radiator fan.
with a VOM you should be able to determine the fan voltage on/off.... measure voltage with fan running and stopped to see if it uses a high side switch or low side.

You should be able to use steering diodes to override the standard control wiring, without breaking anything.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 12:04:43 AM »

Are you sure your temp sensor is operating correctly?
I had a Crown Vic that thought it was 15 cooler than it really was.  Changing out the sensor fixed problems like you are describing. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 01:16:34 AM »

I had a Crown Vic that thought it was 15 cooler than it really was.  Changing out the sensor fixed problems like you are describing.

There are probably 2 sensors. One for the fan relay, and one for the temperature gauge on the dash.
Which one is not accurate?
THAT is the question.
A visit to the Mother Ship may be wise before you alter the wiring yourself.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »

Reminds me of a rental car I once had in Mexico. A Nissan Tsuru (pretty sure that translates to "dog" in english) was pegging the temp gauge.  I brought it back to the airport lot, the guy opened the hood, disconnected the sensor wire and said; "All good now". In fairness, it did last the remainder of the week.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »

The thing about temperature regulated fan relays is that the fan is not designed to be run when you're over about 15 miles an hour it will eventually damage the fan motor
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.