ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Stereo Image Not Being Captured In Live-stream.  (Read 3008 times)

Toby Marks

X32 Stereo Image Not Being Captured In Live-stream.
« on: May 22, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »

Hello.  At my church we have been conducting live stream services using the Behringer X32 .  My set up goes like this:

Channels > Subgroups > Stereo Matrices > Output 1&2 > Focusrite 2i2 > Computer > OBS.

Anytime I create a stereo image for the live stream, members whose phones are in Mono can not hear, but those whose phones can pick up Stereo can hear fine.  I assumed this was because the signal did not translate to Mono.  In efforts to try and keep some sort of stereo image, but still make sure my mix could be heard in mono I changed my stereo matrices to 2 Mono ones (I un-linked them).  Unfortunately that did not make a difference, and I had to use one Mono Matrix to capture our sound.

To me the live stream sounds far better in Stereo.  Could any one explain why this is happening along with a solution to this?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:23:38 AM by Toby Marks »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: X32 Stereo Image Not Being Captured In Live-stream.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »

Hello.  At my church we have been conducting Behringer X32 services.  My set up goes like this:

Channels > Subgroups > Stereo Matrices > Output 1&2 > Focusrite 2i2 > Computer > OBS.

Anytime I create a stereo image for the live stream, members whose phones are in Mono can not hear, but those whose phones can pick up Stereo can hear fine.  I assumed this was because the signal did not translate to Mono.  In efforts to try and keep some sort of stereo image, but still make sure my mix could be heard in mono I changed my stereo matrices to 2 Mono ones (I un-linked them).  Unfortunately that did not make a difference, and I had to use one Mono Matrix to capture our sound.

To me the live stream sounds far better in Stereo.  Could any one explain why this is happening along with a solution to this?  Thank you.

Your feed to the stream is probably out of polarity on one channel, so instead of summing in a mono signal it cancels. This can happen at several points in the chain.

Mac

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »

Anytime I create a stereo image for the live stream, members whose phones are in Mono can not hear, but those whose phones can pick up Stereo can hear fine.

It sounds like the signal polarity is getting swapped at some point in the signal chain.
Make sure the polarity invert button isn't set on one of the Focusrite inputs or the X32 matrix outputs.
Then try different cables between the X32 and the Focusrite.

Edit: PS: Which is also what Mac said and beat me to it.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »

Hello.  At my church we have been conducting Behringer X32 services.  My set up goes like this:

Depending on where you are streaming (like facebook) its MONO anyway. Go Stereo to OBS and change your OBS settings to MONO. See if that helps.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:51:13 PM »

Depending on where you are streaming (like facebook) its MONO anyway. Go Stereo to OBS and change your OBS settings to MONO. See if that helps.

That won’t change the cancellation on summing, just make it happen in a different place. Occam’s Razor implies there is a channel out of polarity. Miswired cables are a common occurrence and a channel out of polarity will make a stereo signal sum to zero when the two channels are combined to mono, no matter how.

Mac

TomBoisseau

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »

For the last few years I've been doing mostly webcasting.  I don't know that it is always this way, but I have found that some webcasting systems and/or "sites" do NOT handle a stereo signal very well and will produce unpleasant "phasing" sounds or artifacts.  As a result, I have chosen to no longer mix in stereo for the web.  That being said, it sounds like, as another mentioned, that the polarity is reversed on either the your left or right channel.

Tom

Toby Marks

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 10:25:40 AM »

It sounds like the signal polarity is getting swapped at some point in the signal chain.
Make sure the polarity invert button isn't set on one of the Focusrite inputs or the X32 matrix outputs.

This makes sense.  I will check the polarity settings down my path.  Thank you for the help!

Toby Marks

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »

Hello Corey,

Turns out that my left matrix had its polarity switched in my routing page.  Once I had both the left and right matrices with the same polarity the issue stopped.  Thank you for the help!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.