ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PNW AES Section Online Meeting: "Mixing on Glass" April 28  (Read 5357 times)

Dan Mortensen

PNW AES Section Online Meeting: "Mixing on Glass" April 28
« on: April 06, 2020, 03:51:16 AM »

Hi All,

Since we are not allowed to have in-person meetings, just like everyone else, our AES Section is going to try having an online-only meeting for the first time.

It will be on April 28 at 7:30pm PDT and called "Mixing on Glass: Tablet Control of Digital Mixers". I will be the presenter and online host.

There is a link in that meeting announcement to reserve a spot, using your real full name, just like here (not coincidentally). A few days before the meeting you'll get an email with a Zoom link so you can join it on the day. If this is your first time using Zoom, you'll want to click the link anytime after you receive it to both do the quick download of the Zoom program, and to go into the preferences and set up and confirm your microphone and speaker functionality, as well as setting some other preferences (if you want to) from an extensive list. Note, too, that if you haven't used Zoom since before last Friday, there is a new version that will need to be quickly downloaded. (Did I mention the download is pretty fast and painless, at least so far?)

I'm going to make at least parts of it non-platform specific, but it's based on my experiences using the Behringer/Midas products, as well as iPads and Airport Expresses and Extreme, and I'll show implementation of those into portable PA systems and some tricks and techniques in use, as well as preferred general principles for usage.

If that of interest to you, I hope you can join us.

EDIT: In your email to reserve a spot and to receive the link to the meeting, please include where you are located (because we're curious) and if you are an AES member of any level (because we've been asked to tell National how many Members attend our functions).

Note that attendance is open to all and that AES Membership is NOT a requirement.

We do encourage membership because supporting the parent organization allows us to have an Official Framework to sustain our meetings, but again, membership is NOT required to participate. We are happy to offer a service to our community of audio people.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:38:15 PM by Dan Mortensen »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: PNW AES Section Online Meeting: "Mixing on Glass" April 28
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 08:22:52 AM »

Hi All,

Since we are not allowed to have in-person meetings, just like everyone else, our AES Section is going to try having an online-only meeting for the first time.

It will be on April 28 at 7:30pm PDT and called "Mixing on Glass: Tablet Control of Digital Mixers". I will be the presenter and online host.

There is a link in that meeting announcement to reserve a spot, using your real full name, just like here (not coincidentally). A few days before the meeting you'll get an email with a Zoom link so you can join it on the day. If this is your first time using Zoom, you'll want to click the link anytime after you receive it to both do the quick download of the Zoom program, and to go into the preferences and set up and confirm your microphone and speaker functionality, as well as setting some other preferences (if you want to) from an extensive list. Note, too, that if you haven't used Zoom since before last Friday, there is a new version that will need to be quickly downloaded. (Did I mention the download is pretty fast and painless, at least so far?)

I'm going to make at least parts of it non-platform specific, but it's based on my experiences using the Behringer/Midas products, as well as iPads and Airport Expresses and Extreme, and I'll show implementation of those into portable PA systems and some tricks and techniques in use, as well as preferred general principles for usage.

If that of interest to you, I hope you can join us.

Hey Dan, join the party! My life the last couple of weeks has been on GoToWebinar and Zoom. I think you'll find it a good way to deal with our current live in lifestyle. This week we (PST) have 3 sessions on Zoom and 2 or 3 on GoToWebinar. I find GoToWebinar to be a better platform for control, and video quality, but if you want more than 6 webcams on screen, GTW can't do it. Zoom lets you have lots of cameras on screen, and has fun toys like virtual backgrounds.

It will be an interesting topic, if I'm available I'll be there. I am not a proponent of mixing on glass, but I would like to see how people who are deal with its shortcomings. Welcome to the new world.

Mac

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »

Hey Dan, join the party! My life the last couple of weeks has been on GoToWebinar and Zoom. I think you'll find it a good way to deal with our current live in lifestyle. This week we (PST) have 3 sessions on Zoom and 2 or 3 on GoToWebinar. I find GoToWebinar to be a better platform for control, and video quality, but if you want more than 6 webcams on screen, GTW can't do it. Zoom lets you have lots of cameras on screen, and has fun toys like virtual backgrounds.

It will be an interesting topic, if I'm available I'll be there. I am not a proponent of mixing on glass, but I would like to see how people who are deal with its shortcomings. Welcome to the new world.

Mac

Thanks for your kind words, Mac. I've wanted to be at some of your great-sounding webinars, but this project has consumed all the time I have available for such things. I was/am neither adept at or equipped to do live multi-source streaming, and getting geared up to do this in the way I think I want to do it, plus acquiring and learning how that gear and the Internet part of it works, has been daunting and time consuming to say the least. My college degree is in Radio/TV, with an emphasis on TV, and I've kind of always wanted to have my own little TV studio and this is giving me an excuse to do so.

Fortunately, I have a bunch of AES Committee members who are either knowledgeable or wanting to learn more about Zoom. That is the platform I settled on after several days of being unable to connect to YoutubeLive using the gizmo that is supposed to masquerade as a webcam to the computer so that you don't need anything like OBS, so having them to do dry runs has been helpful.

Together remotely with my Committee buddies, we've been finding all kinds of minutiae about Zoom. One thing from the other night: if you "Mute All" of the participants, there's a popup with checkbox asking if you want to let them unmute themselves. If you don't and want to maintain quiet, you uncheck that box.

How do you handle audience comments/questions? That is always a thing I like about doing presentations, but also hate hearing someone's doorbell or whatever go off despite repeated requests to mute themselves.

While mixing on an iPad is my preference for soundchecks for sure, given enough time and moderate input count, tablet control is the only way I can do a lot of gigs due to lack of space/time/audience presence at all times from load in to load out. Thus it's necessary to be reasonably adept at it and be able to use reliably, with an emphasis on the latter. That is some of what I hope to share and probably learn better.

Have you had any disruptors in your meetings?

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »

So... tablets are cool.  I prefer mixing on glass.  For me it's super fast!  Dell All in One running Win10 and Chrome is what I use as FOH.  iPads to wander the venue, monitor setup, etc.  I have an SI Imact and stage box, but this is faster sound quality is great.

On the big screen I have my mix in the bottom window.  3 to 4 other windows on the top of the screen.  EQ, Comp/Gate, Aux contributions always.  If the act is effects heavy I may also have the efx contribution as well.  Local 'windows follow fader' function keeps all the windows focused on my fader selection.  Select the kick, the eq, comp, auxes are displayed for the kick.  Select the accordion, same deal.

Soundcraft UI-24 stage box via cat 5 to router, cabled to mixer.  Wireless side supports the iPads on 5 ghz. Optionally networked with an additional ui-24 for expanded i/o.

Mixing in glass can be sooo much more than just using a tablet.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:57:34 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light (deceased)
FB Willy & Nelson
FB SideShow

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 11:24:52 PM »

I have no idea how to upload pictures here....  FB link best I can for now.

Mixing in glass can be sooo much more than just using a tablet.

Sounds pretty good, I would like to see pics.

Here's how:

Click the "Preview" button.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, where you'll see "Attachments and other options"

Click that.

You'll see "Attach" and a "Choose File" button, and lower case "no file selected"

Click the button which opens a window and search your computer for the picture you want to post. Found it? Click "Choose" which takes you back here.

If you want to post more pics (up to 7, maximum total summed size for all pics is 512KB).

Click the "Preview" button again to see what your post will look like (minus the pics, they all go after whatever you've written)

Then click "Post"

If your post is lengthy you should copy everything before you click "Post", as I've had more than one f'in GREAT post disappear completely at that step.

There's another way to post pics inline with your post, but it takes using something like Flickr and HTML.

Good luck, I'd like to see a shot of the screen you described. And I'll point out that what you describe is more like mixing from a laptop except a touch screen, and it's nice because it's big but it's not something I've done. I do something equivalent that I don't want to type all out.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »

Sounds pretty good, I would like to see pics.

Here's how:

Click the "Preview" button.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, where you'll see "Attachments and other options"

Click that.

You'll see "Attach" and a "Choose File" button, and lower case "no file selected"

Click the button which opens a window and search your computer for the picture you want to post. Found it? Click "Choose" which takes you back here.

If you want to post more pics (up to 7, maximum total summed size for all pics is 512KB).

Click the "Preview" button again to see what your post will look like (minus the pics, they all go after whatever you've written)

Then click "Post"

If your post is lengthy you should copy everything before you click "Post", as I've had more than one f'in GREAT post disappear completely at that step.

There's another way to post pics inline with your post, but it takes using something like Flickr and HTML.

Good luck, I'd like to see a shot of the screen you described. And I'll point out that what you describe is more like mixing from a laptop except a touch screen, and it's nice because it's big but it's not something I've done. I do something equivalent that I don't want to type all out.

The forum software is so limited.  I use an offsite picture hosting service.  It does not require an account. 

Go to https://imgbb.com and upload your picture
Pick "bbcode full linked" from the drop box
Paste that text here in your post

The great thing about this service is it doesn't scale the image and the forum software posts a perfect preview.  Only takes a few seconds.  I have a link to the site in my shortcut bar on the browser.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lou Kohley

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 12:50:34 AM »

I have been trying to come to a PNW AES meeting for almost a year and I always end up booked on the meeting day.
So Im so happy to see this is being offered online.
Looking forward to it.

LOU

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 01:54:49 AM »

The forum software is so limited.  I use an offsite picture hosting service.  It does not require an account. 

Go to https://imgbb.com and upload your picture
Pick "bbcode full linked" from the drop box
Paste that text here in your post

The great thing about this service is it doesn't scale the image and the forum software posts a perfect preview.  Only takes a few seconds.  I have a link to the site in my shortcut bar on the browser.

Awesome Scott!
Thanks, Mal
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light (deceased)
FB Willy & Nelson
FB SideShow

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 02:58:16 AM »

I have been trying to come to a PNW AES meeting for almost a year and I always end up booked on the meeting day.
So Im so happy to see this is being offered online.
Looking forward to it.

LOU

Cool! Hope you don't turn out to be busy that day....

Usually we serve cookies and water at intermission, but this time you have to provide your own.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »

Cool! Hope you don't turn out to be busy that day....

Usually we serve cookies and water at intermission, but this time you have to provide your own.
What?  No cookies?  I’m cancelling my registration!  ???
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.