ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Three-pole 240V Connections  (Read 3169 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Three-pole 240V Connections
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »

What do the electricians here say to the idea of keeping ground and neutral separate, but running a ground wire from the distro ground to a known good ground (case of a breaker panel or similar)?  It's not a simple plug any longer, but it should be safer.  It's a similar idea to the 5-15 "cheater" plugs (which may or may not be legal).  Of course if it's like the L10-30 receptacles I picked up somewhere years ago, the neutral is bonded to the frame strap, meaning it will create a contaminated ground for anything else connected to that conduit.  Luckily, I don't see very many of these where I work.  14-50Rs are almost ubiquitous.  The only exception is the former Sheraton Hotel in town which has 18-60Rs (3 phase, neutral, no ground) in the main ballrooms.  They rewired them by connecting one of the phases to ground at the breaker panel, and then building distros to work with that.  It's not like anybody else in town has a 18-60 plug to mate with it.  ::)  Somebody specified and installed that back when the place was built in 1985.

BTW, at least according to Hubbell, "pole" refers to current carrying conductors, not the ground.  So a 14-50 is a 3-pole, 4-wire connector,  a 10-30 is 3-pole, 3-wire and a 6-30 is a 2-pole, 3-wire connector.

Provided the grounding conductor is sufficiently sized it would work-though it probably wouldn't pass code/inspector muster because the ground can be disconnected without disconnected the power wires.  Of course, the same is true when using tails.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Three-pole 240V Connections
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.