ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low volume on QSC KW 153?  (Read 3959 times)

Alan Gibson

Low volume on QSC KW 153?
« on: October 11, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »

I just bought my first pieces of sound gear, a QSC KW set of 2x 153s and 1x 181, all gently used. Two out of three pieces sound great, but one of the 153s showed up missing a foot(!), and with the gain B turned all the way up to +10dB. I connected this speaker to line in B through XLR cable to the 181, and did the same for the other on the A side. Speaker B sounds ok when left at +10dB, but is noticably quieter than speaker A when both are turned to +0.

What could be causing this? I'm not expert, but is there something I can do, or will I have to take this monster in for repairs?

Taylor Hall

Re: Low volume on QSC KW 153?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »

You'll need to update your profile name to be your real name before we can help you.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Alan Gibson

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »

You'll need to update your profile name to be your real name before we can help you.

There we go, sorry about that.

A little additional info, I was missing an XLR so I grabbed one from my roommate's microphone, and that's the cable I used for B speaker. Seems unlikely, but could that be the culprit?

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »

Switch the cables and see if the problem goes with the switch

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 12:26:43 PM »

There we go, sorry about that.

A little additional info, I was missing an XLR so I grabbed one from my roommate's microphone, and that's the cable I used for B speaker. Seems unlikely, but could that be the culprit?
Probably pin 2 or 3 is disconnected or shorted to pin 1 in the XLR, at one end or the other.
Swap cables and see if the problem follows the cable.
Chris.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:29:11 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »

It could be a bad cable, you could swap it with the one you used on the other speaker and see if that changes anything.

Barring that, I'd start by removing the sub from the signal chain and see if that makes a difference. You mention using input B on the bad 153, is it also quieter when you have it in input A? Be careful when doing this as input A can accept either line level or mic inputs and has an attenuator knob that must be turned down. 

I'd also try swapping sub outputs going to the questionable KW153 (try using output A instead of B) just to be sure there's nothing amiss there.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Alan Gibson

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »

Swapped cables, and the problem persists on the same speaker. It sounds like the bass response is greater than the mid/high testing speakers B on its own then listening to A.

Also tried Taylor's suggestion about swapping inputs to the sub. Problem stays with the speaker. My xlrs aren't long enough to remove the sub from the chain, but I'm now sadly confident that something is up with the mid/high of speaker B.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:36:00 PM by Alan Gibson »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »

Swapped cables, and the problem persists on the same speaker. It sounds like the bass response is greater than the mid/high testing speakers B on its own then listening to A.

Also tried Taylor's suggestion about swapping inputs to the sub. Problem stays with the speaker. My xlrs aren't long enough to remove the sub from the chain, but I'm now sadly confident that something is up with the mid/high of speaker B.

I think you will also find one KW181 insufficient.  The recommendation for 153's is 4. We stack them on two a side and it's a great system.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Alan Gibson

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »

I think you will also find one KW181 insufficient.  The recommendation for 153's is 4. We stack them on two a side and it's a great system.

You mean 4 subs per top?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »

It's only a mic cable, borrow one from a microphone for testing or put the top box on the floor.  This ain't rocket surgery.

A significant difference in signal level, accompanied by a lack of lows, typically indicates a "one-legged" signal as @Chris Hindle mentions.  Most often it's a user-supplied XLR cable that is faulty but it could be cracked or bad solder on the amplifier's input jack.

Take the sub(s) out of the loop.  Set the controls of both A and B speakers identically - every button push, every rotary control - make them the same.  Power them up and connect the output of your mixer to speaker A, then B.  USE THE SAME INPUT on each speaker.  If they don't sound the same you need to take the sketchy speaker for service.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.