ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 193405 times)

John Chiara

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2023, 01:17:01 AM »

I use the Beyer TG-D71 boundary mic on kick drums and I like it.  It's slightly more compact than a Beta 91.  It sounds good and eliminates a mic stand and therefore the opportunity for a performer to knock the bass drum mic out of position.  I use an Audix D6 when I can't use the Beyer.

Behringer B19a. Did an outdoor show last night. Late 60s Slingerland 22 kick. Friend asked me if the kick was a sample.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2023, 01:29:47 AM »

Behringer B19a. Did an outdoor show last night. Late 60s Slingerland 22 kick. Friend asked me if the kick was a sample.

Yeah that mic is surprisingly good and so convenient for most situations. It has become my new favorite.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2023, 07:51:29 PM »

Yeah that mic [Behringer B19A] is surprisingly good and so convenient for most situations. It has become my new favorite.
Same here.  Wouldn't even have given it a thought, but a band came in with one already mounted in the kick.  Reluctantly agreed to give it a go, and was surprised that it was instantly OK.  While I love my e901, I've always hated that it's *just* too girthy for some kick ports.  Couldn't face spending on a Beta 91a to replace it, but the price for the B19A was almost throw-away, and it's slightly slimmer still than even the Beta 91A.  One of the rare Behringer hits.

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2023, 12:18:09 AM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

John, Debbie, and Alec --
THANK YOU.  I've come to trust your opinions, so based on them I ordered the Behringer B19A last week, as my very first dedicated kick drum mic.  Used it on the day it arrived, and my partner and I loved it.  Two more shows since then, and it was trouble free.  Can't beat the price, either!

Jim Thorn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2023, 10:50:59 AM »

John, Debbie, and Alec --
THANK YOU.  I've come to trust your opinions, so based on them I ordered the Behringer B19A last week, as my very first dedicated kick drum mic.  Used it on the day it arrived, and my partner and I loved it.  Two more shows since then, and it was trouble free.  Can't beat the price, either!

Jim Thorn

Good to hear Jim ....(Phew)  ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John L Nobile

« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2023, 02:09:57 PM »

Yeah that mic is surprisingly good and so convenient for most situations. It has become my new favorite.

That mic is very inexpensive. I was going to order a Shure SM91 that someone either walked away with or was left in a kick drum but I'm going to give this one a shot.

Gabriel Calva

« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2023, 09:09:10 PM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

I love Audix D6.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2023, 11:49:26 AM »

Shure SM91 is still my favorite 15 years later (if using a single mic). I have the original SM91, but I've heard the Beta91a is in the same ballpark of performance.

Brynolf Land

« Reply #258 on: December 26, 2023, 02:54:52 PM »

I love Audix D6.

Me too. D6 and sometimes D112 are the ones I usually use. Recently bought a beta91 that I'm gonna give a go as soon as I can. Never understood how to use it, but I guess I'll just shove it in and see what happens.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2023, 04:10:52 PM »

Me too. D6 and sometimes D112 are the ones I usually use. Recently bought a beta91 that I'm gonna give a go as soon as I can. Never understood how to use it, but I guess I'll just shove it in and see what happens.

Ah, pre-eq'd mics.  Great if you work with the same drummer all the time and have a common goal for the way the bass drum should sound.  In the 1980s, having every kick drum sound like Herman Rarebel wasn't so bad...

The 91... put it in the drum, as close to the batter head without touching.  Put another mic at the hole in the reso head, with the diaphragm a couple inches inside the hole; you'll be moving it in/out to get the desired LF content.  The 91 is for the "click", the distance between it and other mic will cause a comb filter at a desirable frequency, and the other mic is used for the LF/subwoofer content.  This kind of the 'classic' deployment.

Have fun!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2023, 04:10:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.