ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: New Allen & Heath SQ Series  (Read 167439 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« on: October 25, 2017, 04:49:44 AM »

http://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/

SQ-6 Features

96kHz FPGA processing
48 Input Channels
DEEP Processing ready
25 Faders / 6 Layers
12 Stereo mixes + LR
3 Stereo Matrix
8 Stereo FX Engines + dedicated returns
7” capacitive touchscreen
SLink port for remote audio / expansion
64ch I/O Port for audio networking
32×32 USB audio interface
SQ-Drive direct recording to USB
AES output
Chromatic channel metering
Integrated LED illumination
Dedicated physical controls
16 Assignable SoftKeys
4 Assignable Soft Rotaries
Channel LCD displays
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:58:16 AM by Jonathan Goodall »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: New Allen & Heath SQ Series
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:18:01 AM »

http://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/sq/

SQ-6 Features

96kHz FPGA processing
48 Input Channels
DEEP Processing ready
25 Faders / 6 Layers
12 Stereo mixes + LR
3 Stereo Matrix
8 Stereo FX Engines + dedicated returns
7” capacitive touchscreen
SLink port for remote audio / expansion
64ch I/O Port for audio networking
32×32 USB audio interface
SQ-Drive direct recording to USB
AES output
Chromatic channel metering
Integrated LED illumination
Dedicated physical controls
16 Assignable SoftKeys
4 Assignable Soft Rotaries
Channel LCD displays
Positioned in between the Qu and GLD. MAP of the SQ5 $2799, MAP of the SQ6 $3499 both in USD.

They use the GLD/Qu series stage boxes.

A note on the Facebook page says both the GLD and Qu are still in active development with firmware updates due before the end of the year.

These seem like nice products.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:36:05 AM »

Coming from the Qu series, these are a pretty significant upgrade - more channels, more mixes, nicer UI, scribble strips, etc.  Most of the GLD functionality coming down to the Qu.  Maybe somebody needs 96KHz, but this is marketing fluff, IMO.

Coming from the GLD series perspective, the Sq is probably closer to the GLD than the Qu.  SQ advantages are multi-track recording, more surface IO, 12 stereo mixes plus mains, and 96KHz.  Disadvantages are fewer dedicated controls for EQ, lack of flexible bus architecture (i.e. the SQ can do 12 stereo mixes which is actually more than the GLD can, however the SQ can't do 16 mono mixes, which the GLD can), and inability to split fader banks.  The GLD112 has a few more faders than the SQ6.

Mark Rombouts

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »

Just sold my GLD and qu16. I wanted to go back to one mixer. Compact and piwefull.

I ended up buying a Midas M32r with 2 DL153 racks. Almost perfect setup.

But now maybe that is going on sale for a SQ5 with racks. Just a little more powerfull and flexibel i think.

To bad it was not inteoduced two months ago.

Peter Morris

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:07:23 AM »

Positioned in between the Qu and GLD. MAP of the SQ5 $2799, MAP of the SQ6 $3499 both in USD.

A note on the Facebook page says both the GLD and Qu are still in active development with firmware updates due before the end of the year.

Its got more inputs and busses than the GLD, it uses new 96KHz racks, but can use the old GLD / Qu 48KHz racks.

I suspect the Qu will remain the entry level desk for some time and the GLD will eventually be phased out, but not just yet.

The reports / tests that I have read recently indicate that the D-Live is one of the best sounding desk out there, while the GLD and Qu sound great I suspect  SQ at 96KHz will be very similar to the D-Live in sound quality.   

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »

Its got more inputs and busses than the GLD, it uses new 96KHz racks, but can use the old GLD / Qu 48KHz racks.

I suspect the Qu will remain the entry level desk for some time and the GLD will eventually be phased out, but not just yet.

The reports / tests that I have read recently indicate that the D-Live is one of the best sounding desk out there, while the GLD and Qu sound great I suspect  SQ at 96KHz will be very similar to the D-Live in sound quality.
Can you elaborate on the inputs and busses?  I'm making assumptions on public information on Facebook and the A&H page, which aren't complete yet.  I get the feeling that the bus architecture is fixed like the Qu series rather than the GLD, and they say 48 inputs which is the same as the GLD.  What am I missing?

Robert Patch

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 11:12:05 AM »

Can you elaborate on the inputs and busses?  I'm making assumptions on public information on Facebook and the A&H page, which aren't complete yet.  I get the feeling that the bus architecture is fixed like the Qu series rather than the GLD, and they say 48 inputs which is the same as the GLD.  What am I missing?

From the literature on-line:

6 layers of 16 faders provide 96 assignable strips for access to any combination of channels, returns, masters and DCAs.

It's not clear to me whether the inputs and outputs can be assigned as on the GLD.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »

Do you have any MAP pricing on the stage boxes? I see that the SQ6 has 24 preamps on the console.

Peter Morris

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »

From the literature on-line:

6 layers of 16 faders provide 96 assignable strips for access to any combination of channels, returns, masters and DCAs.

It's not clear to me whether the inputs and outputs can be assigned as on the GLD.

Just to add to that ...

The GLD is 44 mono mic channels and 2 stereo line inputs and 30 buses, the SQ is 48 (I think, the info is a bit vague) mic inputs plus 2 stereo line inputs and 36 buses.

The architecture from what I can gather is fixed to some extent but here is a quote form A&H Facebook page.

“There are 6 layers of assignable channel strips that can be set up any way you like - you cannot split the console, but you can assign the same channels across multiple layers. The SoftRotaries on the SQ-6 can also be assigned to control levels if you'd prefer to work that way.”

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/sq-6/

I don't know why that page is so hard to find (and no links to it yet).

I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.