ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For those of you using the X32 Rack as a Stage box...can you take a moment...  (Read 14714 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound

I have read what forums, but some post conflict each other, or are a little unclear so I just want to check on below.

Bottom Line - I had no idea the x32 rack could be used as a stage box.  I own the x32 console already, bought a new (used) snake, and a Mackie DL1604 for a small mixer.....come to find out it sounds like I could have just gotten the x32rack and had some redundancy and filled all my needs plus some.

From what I have read the routing is a little tricky but a little hook up time in the shop I think I can figure that out as long as I don't lose functionality from doing this. Can you just clarify a couple things before I put all my extra stuff up for sale to go this route.

1) Someone in another forum said they couldn't get the outputs to work when going from X32 to rack to Speakers.  Just a fluke for that person?  You can use the rack for inputs and outputs right? (Just wanting to be sure, as I didn't see it mentioned after)

2) Reading about the "preamp at the head" issue, I didn't see a determination with the new software - can you control the head amp on the x32rack from the X32 console?  Or do you have to hook up a router to the rack and control the preamps with an IPAD?
2A) If you need to wirelessly control the head amps - you would need two routers if you wanted to walk the room and run sound since you would need one for the console and one for the X32 rack correct?

3) If I went this route I still may need to use an output or two on the x32 console for In ear systems (bands want me to monitor for if they peak once they do a REAL sound check).  Can this be done for just one or two outputs of my choosing or once you send the chunk to the rack you have to use those outputs on the rack exclusively?

4) If I only use the 16 input channels on the rack, and lets say the 1/4 inputs as well - I can still use other inputs on the Console (example RCA inputs for my IPOD hookup).

5) Just one AES50 cable for 16 channels and 8 outs to the rack correct?

6) I saw someone asked if you could split the audio for a monitor and main mix.  Is this true without needing a splitter snake that the audio can operate independently between the two to act as two true independent "consoles" where one doesn't impact the other in terms of eq etc?

Sorry for all the questions, and I know some have been dabbled on in the past - however as I read in other forums as well as this one some of it was not clarified, was conflicting or is old information since the updates so just looking for how its working for those of you doing it......all while hitting myself in the head for not having a lightbulb moment until today when I was reorganizing my trailer to do a google search and realize I missed the boat on this one.

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound

Jerome,
I have 2 racks and use them as stageboxes just like S16s.
On the Behringer X32 forum there's a guy named Paul Vanatto that helped me get routings correct.

By the numbers:
1) I haven't gotten that far yet. still garage testing. I'll try Monday.
2) Yes I can control the preamps on the Racks from the X32.
2A) To have simultaneous connection to both the x43 and the rack, yes, 2 Tablets would be needed. You could eliminate the 2d router by running a second Cat5e (regular ethernet) cable from the 2 mixers to the router. BTW: technically you don't need a ROUTER, but an ACCESS Point with switch.
3) Outputs are rounted in groups of 4, so you can mix n match local outputs with outputs routed to the rack. You could also use the AUX outs on the X32 and send the XLRs to the rack.
4) True
5) Yes one AES50 (Cat5E STP) carries 48x48 cahennels
6) I believe so. Haven't tried it yet, but it should be possible.

I'm finding the Behringer X32 forum had been pretty responsive and I've gotten good technical per to peer help there.
See what you think; http://forum.music-group.com/forumdisplay.php?80-BEHRINGER

If you have more questions, I'll try to help, but I'm still pretty new to X32
Larry Sheehan - San Gabriel Sound

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA

If you ever wanted to use the P16-M systems you might want to keep one S16 in the stage rack.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:57:38 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound

If you ever wanted to use the PM16 systems you might want to keep one S16 in the stage rack.
Mike, not sure why the S16 would be necessary. The rack has the "Ultranet" port for PM16s

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA

Mike, not sure why the S16 would be necessary. The rack has the "Ultranet" port for PM16s

They may have changed it with more recent firmware, but last year there was some discussion about having to route signal from the FOH X32 through the X32 Rack inputs as there was not a direct routing from the FOH mixer to the P16 port in the X32 Rack.

Start with this post and read down a bit. As I say that may all be fixed by now.
https://soundforums.net/threads/4393-X32-Discussion?p=79764&viewfull=1#post79764
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound

They may have changed it with more recent firmware, but last year there was some discussion about having to route signal from the FOH X32 through the X32 Rack inputs as there was not a direct routing from the FOH mixer to the P16 port in the X32 Rack.

Start with this post and read down a bit. As I say that may all be fixed by now.
https://soundforums.net/threads/4393-X32-Discussion?p=79764&viewfull=1#post79764
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks, Mike. I don't use pm16, so not an issue for me right now,

Craig Hamilton

I think the direct routing to outputs including the P16 port is all fixed now. On a full size x32, the 16 outputs would all work on the console as well as can be simultaneously routed to AES50 output and then routed to any outputs on remote Rack unit as needed in groups of 4. Same with inputs, any group of 4 inputs on the console can come from the internal preamp of the console or from AES50 channel and thus a remote preamp with control of that preamp decided by a seperate setting. Finally you can put the Rack preamps in gain split mode and then have local trims on the console and the rack allowing the rack to run as a seperate monitor console.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services

I use 2 X32 Racks as stageboxes. With those, I have 32 inputs to FOH and monitors, 16 monitor outputs, plus 12 FOH outputs, all through the 2 X32 Racks on stage.

To answer your questions:
1) You can route the outputs from one console to the outputs of another. The guy that couldn't get it to work was doing something wrong. The routing in these mixers is tough to wrap your head around.
2) You can control the preamps with the gain knob from one of the consoles, in which case you'll have +/-18dB trim control on the channel strip of the non-master console(s). You can also choose to control the gain in the preamp settings page of one of the consoles, in which case you'll have trim control on the channel strips of every console.
3) I use an IEM system on the cue output of my monitor X32, which I can use to listen to any input or output on the monitor console. I've never tried to rig it to also monitor anything from FOH, but I'm sure it could be done if you wanted to. Also, and I think this will answer the second part of your question, the outputs on my FOH console are mirrored when I send them down the snake. In other words, I can get a left and right output at the X32 Racks, which are on stage acting as a snake, or right out the back of my full size X32 at FOH. Or both, I suppose. That was a pleasant surprise when I was setting this system up.
4) Yes. But, not necessarily if you add another X32 Rack in the future, since 2 X32 Racks would have 44 input channels total, and the FOH X32 will only support 38. Also, you can route the aux outputs in groups of 2, sort of, since it's 1-2, 1-4, or 1-6. But basically, yes, it'll do what you want it to do.
5) Yes.
6) Yes, but they'll share preamp gain, either on the gain knobs of one of the consoles, or in the preamp section of one of the consoles. Doing it in the preamp section is my preference. But everything else is independent, EQ, comp, etc.

When using the X32 rack as a snake, the routing is really weird, so plan on spending a while setting it all up. It won't be too bad if you're only using a single X32 rack, actually it'll probably be pretty easy, but getting the second one to talk through the first one was not the easiest thing I've ever done. It's awesome once it's set up though.

FWIW, I use my full size console regularly without the X32 Racks, and it's really easy to reconfigure the routing on the fly. Since the inputs all come from the same place, you just change the routing of that, and change the gain sharing and clock source if they need to be changed, and that's it. The outputs are already routed to the local outputs as well as the snake, and it won't matter that the snake isn't connected, you'll still get them on the back of the mixer. Just a random thought.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.