ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple Question...Hopefully Simple Answer  (Read 8212 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: Simple Question...Hopefully Simple Answer
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »

Josh;
If your not running stereo you could go the dual PA route.
Use 1 amp channel to run the sp2's and the other amp channel to run the sp5s.
Pan the vocals to the amp channel running the sp5s (or sp2's , ) and have the other amp channel running the guitars,drums,keys, etc. to the other channel. I don't know if your a DJ then of course this won't work. I ran into a very Low Power gig this July 3rd. 1 - 15 amp - 120 volt power supply for the whole band as well as miss matched speakers. I used their QSC K12s for vocals and my old SP2x's on bridged cs800s amps with 4 powered subs for the whole show. I just limped by but the 2 different speakers not reproducing the same program material worked out very well. ( You can see in the picture the cord coming from the 2nd story window ) When I panned vocals to both speakers the sound fell apart and didn't work at all. But using one type speaker for vocals, the other for the rest of the band did work.
May get you by and in the end sound good doing so.
Douglas R. Allen

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »

....I ran into a very Low Power gig this July 3rd. 1 - 15 amp - 120 volt power supply for the whole band.....
Douglas R. Allen
Sounds like a gig I did a while back for a 5k run; we ran everything off of a 2kw generator(around 13amps). I was bumping the overload light on the gen at first until pulled the volume down a little more... After that it worked fine.

Travis_Valois

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

Josh;
Pan the vocals to the amp channel running the sp5s (or sp2's , ) and have the other amp channel running the guitars,drums,keys, etc. to the other channel. I don't know if your a DJ then of course this won't work. I ran into a very Low Power gig this July 3rd. 1 - 15 amp - 120 volt power supply for the whole band as well as miss matched speakers. I used their QSC K12s for vocals and my old SP2x's on bridged cs800s amps with 4 powered subs for the whole show. I just limped by but the 2 different speakers not reproducing the same program material worked out very well.

+1

I did something similar at a gig last summer, using two pairs of the band's JRX215 cabs. Vocals through one pair, everything else through the other. Subs (PRX 618xlf) were aux fed. We didn't need 180 degrees of dispersion to deploy two cabinets side by side reproducing the same source, so split the system instead. It worked great.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »

Sounds like a gig I did a while back for a 5k run; we ran everything off of a 2kw generator(around 13amps). I was bumping the overload light on the gen at first until pulled the volume down a little more... After that it worked fine.

I did kind of the same thing. I set my max level of the PA by the light I was using to light my board with. An older 01v for this show. When the light started to dim with the bass drum thump I'd back it down some. It was enough but just ..... enough for the 800/900 people there. No one complained and it was a good show.
I did worry that the guitars and drums would bleed into the vocal microphones enough to cause some issues but it wasn't enough to make the 2 different speakers interfere with each other. Worked well for what I had.

Douglas R. Allen

Josh Weitkamp

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »

Josh;
Pan the vocals to the amp channel running the sp5s (or sp2's , ) and have the other amp channel running the guitars,drums,keys, etc. to the other channel. I don't know if your a DJ then of course this won't work. I ran into a very Low Power gig this July 3rd. 1 - 15 amp - 120 volt power supply for the whole band as well as miss matched speakers. I used their QSC K12s for vocals and my old SP2x's on bridged cs800s amps with 4 powered subs for the whole show. I just limped by but the 2 different speakers not reproducing the same program material worked out very well. ( You can see in the picture the cord coming from the 2nd story window ) When I panned vocals to both speakers the sound fell apart and didn't work at all. But using one type speaker for vocals, the other for the rest of the band did work.
May get you by and in the end sound good doing so.
Douglas R. Allen

I do DJ and karaoke gigs, but very rarely.  I'm a sound engineer at heart and the job of the foh guy is to not be noticed....so DJing parties and such not really my cup-o-tea.  That is a really brilliant idea, one I haven't fathomed.  splitting the signal between two cabs so the band noise doesn't distort the vocals.  Kind of a neat idea.  I might do that at a smaller show sometime.

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:47 PM »

3. I'm really glad I found this forum because I have learned more here than I ever did before.
This is one of the most knowledgeable internet fourms I've ever read. Stick around and read -- you will learn stuff. I'm reading through Bob McCarthy's Design and Optimization book and much of the what he says I know because I've read Ivan, Brad, Bob, Dick, et. al. say the same things.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.