ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large format analog boards  (Read 21721 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Large format analog boards
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »

actually, in the interest of full disclosure, if i've got a large format analog desk, i'd rather have an EZ-tilt around than not have one.  i did the first decade of my career before the advent of said device and when it first came on the picture i thought it was the greatest thing i had ever seen.

all that being said, a big analog desk is still a PITA, even with better tools to flip it than the old fashioned '6 guys lift on 3 method' i employed for so long.  i'll take a digital surface that i can throw on a case by myself or with nothing more than a scrawny vidiot to help me any day...

still...  if i'm white gloving and can ask for anything i want [which pretty much isn't even gonna happen anymore], i might still be inclined to choose an XL4 and a whole bunch of outboard toys.  muscle memory and all that...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 02:48:55 AM »

And for those of you who are jumping into the deep end of the digital entry level pool, have you ever worked a Ghost, Midas, Toft, APB, or anything capable of reproducing sound at that level. No? Thought as much, because if you had you wouldn't be running out to spend good hard earned money on entry level digital boards.

I agree for your needs the APB was the best choice given your criteria.

However to answer your hypothetical I have mixed on high end analog consoles like the H3K with appropriate outboard. And while it certainly is lovely and I have nothing to complain about with those setups, there's still no way in hell I'd ever spend any of my money on any analog console, period.

I don't own a sound company, but I do own an 01v96. I'm reminded of how glad I am that I bought it every time  spares me from being stuck with some mackie sr with no outboard or some other bs setup. And compared to that the sound I get is infinitely better given the amount of control I now have.

I believe you when you say the APB sounds better. But  I'm much more concerned with the transducers in the chain than the apparent sound of any console. And with that in mind I will always go with the option of mixer that offers me the most control and flexibilty for what I do.

And when you say the APB was 3k, and compare it to a presonus or 01v, I'd say it'd be fair to factor in the outboard that you'd need to accompany the APB. An average decent setup would be 4-6 channels of GEQ, minimum 4 comps(preferably more), minimum 4 gates, 1-3 FX units etc...Buying new respectable outboard gear that puts you well into the 5-6k range. Now that's more comparable to an LS9-16/SI Compact 24 (with the analog setup still actually having WAY less EQ, FX and dynamics). You (and I'm sure lots of others) would still purchase the analog + outboard. That's totally fine and I have nothing to argue against that if that's what fits your needs.

I just wanted to level up the playing field when comparing a really nice small format analog to low end digital, to at least have a comparable feature set.

Different strokes for different folks, all that good stuff.

Lance Richens

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »

Amazing thread. As someone wanting to "go digital" soon, this is very helpful.....
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Rob Gow

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »

Amazing thread. As someone wanting to "go digital" soon, this is very helpful.....

True, there's lots to consider...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:47:45 PM by Rob Gow »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.