ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help redoing live music venue setup  (Read 2637 times)

david livingston

need help redoing live music venue setup
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »

I am tasked with updating a live music venue's equipment

first the size and scope of the place;
it is an old house from the 1950's or so that has been turned into a bistro during the day and a live music venue at night(6 nights a week,). the front of house area is approx 30ft across and 50 front to back with ceiling height of around 12 or so ft. capacity can be 200 at times not often though. we cover most styles of music from funk bands to rock but nothing too heavy and no dj stuff.

the stage is one  corner/ four monitor mixes/ It can get fairly loud/ I suppose that we would want to stay around 100db or so throughout the venue. dont want to run people off.

at present the gear/placement is less than desirable as this place didnt start out as a live music venue and Im doing what i can to help them catch up.

just upgraded to a A&H mixwiz 16.2
the house mains are old jbl soundfactor 215 (quasi 3 way 2 15 w horn)
they have been through the ringer for sure. they are runnning on a 4000w behringer amp so they are prolly seeing some 550 per side @8ohms
The sub is a yamaha single 18 with an old peavy cs800 which is running on one side at 450w i believe

I have basically gotten the go ahead to update the mains/sub and two new wedges
I dont exactly have a budget but the less i spend the more i can throw towards other things (i.e. dbx driverack. only one dual 31 band eq in the place being used on two of the monitor mixes)

As far as FOH goes i am looking at either the qsc k12 pair with a ksub
which would prolly nuke the budget if i had to guess
or the EV live x 12s with the 18 sub which would def allow for me to add two new wedges and maybe the drive rack.
Only concern with the EV live x that i can see is they are not meant to be flown (neither are the extremely heavy jbls that are currently flown) but i dont want to buy something new and have to mod it

an option i suppose would be to get the k12 tops and EV sub?

looking at the specs it is easy to see that these newer changes should be drastic but i dont have any experience with either brand

any input would be appreciated
I hope i gave enough info with out putting everyone to sleep

Andrew Brubaker

• Reliquis Productions
Re: need help redoing live music venue setup
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »

I have obviously not seen the space that you are referencing but as to the speakers you are looking into I can vouch for the K12s. They are great sounding speakers and can throw a good amount of sound for how small they are. They also have built in crossovers that work really well. I would recommend putting that on and letting the sub do the heavy hitting for you on the low end. I wouldn't go with Ksub but have you looked at the KW181? I can't say that I have personally used it but I have done a lot of research into them and heard a lot of good things. Another thing that you may want to think about that would free your budget a little more is to go the used gear route. You can typically find some good gear but the depreciation hit has already been taken by the person that bought them new. Also, in regards to the flying, the K12s do have optional flyware available. Hope this helps!

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »

Some photos of the room from different angles, and showing the stage area, might be helpful.  Any acoustic treatment in the room?  Lathe and plaster walls?
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.