ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dislike Powercon?  (Read 6858 times)

Caleb Dick

Re: Dislike Powercon?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »

Todd Black wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 10:34

Caleb Dick wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 05:57

I love powercon, and would even like a system where every single IEC and Edison were replaced. If changing that many cables/connectors/receptacles, it would be easy to make many spares. Rack drawers to hold a couple IEC or Edison to powercon adapters with the other common adapters to ensure they are on site.

My 2c
Caleb

the connector series just isnt suitable for this. cant make an extension without a seperate adapter. with edison you have receptacle, cable mount male, cable mount female, and flange mount male and females. All of this plugs together. Powercon on the other hand is two seperate connector types 'inlet' and 'outlet'. Great for detachable line cords on equipment, with the 'outlet' pair allowing equipment to be daisy chained together. Beyond that use the product is awful.

Yes it is harder, as you need to have double the adapters/ends/jacks (power in and power out).  However, most of what you would need are various lengths of cords, going from power in plug to power out plug.  If a 10' is too short or missing, you just grab a 25'.  Or grab a NAC3FCA and NAC3FCB and build your own.  

My idea works (to me anyway  Very Happy ) only if every single Edison and IEC are replaced, leaving only cams and higher voltage twist-locks.  This is the step that keeps this from being practical.  If all gear replaced wall warts and IEC inputs to NAC3MPA-1's (with NAC3MPB-1 pass-through), then this would be simple.  

So, when is this wholesale move among manufacturers going to happen?   Rolling Eyes

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Derek Shawver

• http://Myspace.com/imadwumma
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »

Todd Black wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 12:34

Caleb Dick wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 05:57

I love powercon, and would even like a system where every single IEC and Edison were replaced. If changing that many cables/connectors/receptacles, it would be easy to make many spares. Rack drawers to hold a couple IEC or Edison to powercon adapters with the other common adapters to ensure they are on site.

My 2c
Caleb

the connector series just isnt suitable for this. cant make an extension without a seperate adapter. with edison you have receptacle, cable mount male, cable mount female, and flange mount male and females. All of this plugs together. Powercon on the other hand is two seperate connector types 'inlet' and 'outlet'. Great for detachable line cords on equipment, with the 'outlet' pair allowing equipment to be daisy chained together. Beyond that use the product is awful.

So does that mean that Speakon connectors are awful as well? It's the same concept. Personally, I would trust a Powercon connector over a twist lock. Twist lock connectors don't really twist and certainly don't lock, either. Very deceiving. When I'm on a gig with a system that uses twist lock, I end up gaffing male and female connectors to keep them from coming undone. This is not an issue at all with Powercon.
-Derek

Will mix for food.
Proud owner of EV Phoenix and Crown I-tech.

Rob Spence

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »

Todd Black wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 02:18

I like powercon for its intended use, which is a locking connector for a detachable line cord.

What I do not like is its use in portable power distribution, stage boxes, or cords beyond the detachable line cord on a piece of equipment. These uses were never intended by the manufacturer and I think they are simply idiotic.

What is it that you think is idiotic?

Powercon, IMHO, is a great solution to some problems. Yes, there are other ways to get there that may work just as well for some applications.

Personally, I like using them for stage power. No one knocks out the plugs. No one steals the boxes. No one steals the cords. Inspectors don't complain at accessible Powercon ports.

Do I use them for all 20A connections? No. I still use IECs with 5-15s on the ends for many things.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Rob Spence

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »

Christian Tepfer wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 12:21

Yes, you have to take the cables with you as it is the case with IEC cords. The more common they get the easier will it be to get spares in an emergency.

It is certainly easy enough to keep a couple of each flavor connector in your workbox. Then, with a knife and a phillips screwdriver and you can repair or build what you need.

Oh, and since they are only about 20% the cost of reasonable Hubble 5-20s it won't break the bank to keep a few spares.

I have been using them for years and have concluded that for some uses they are not the best so I don't use them there.
However, I have used them for my default low current distribution now for a while and have no complaints.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Matt Errend

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »

Personally I love the powercon connector. For inlets on equipment I would much prefer them of a IEC connector, even a locking one. L15-20's are expensive, chunky, and uncommon and 5-15 edisons are to easy to pull apart on accident.

This is also a fantastic idea, particularly if you're running powered wedges with powercon inputs (Meyer UM-1P's for example):

http://www.oawindsor.com/images/powercon.jpg

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 12:38:09 AM »

I use the two-dozen-or-so of those that I own just about every day... love 'em!

"What happens is fact, not truth. Thuth is what we think about what happens"
            -Robert McKee

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
They make 'em
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 12:57:12 AM »

Joe Brugnoni wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 09:20

I wish the QSC K series had the power cons on them so I could build my own power cords for them,  the ones they send really suck to hide on stage when they are used as monitors, they will not coil or lay down with out gaff tape. Kind of dificult when there are multiple bands and the monitors must be moved!

rewireable iec plugs!
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Lee Brenkman

Re: They make 'em
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 01:11:50 AM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 21:57

I wish the QSC K series had the power cons on them so I could build my own power cords for them,  the ones they send really suck to hide on stage when they are used as monitors, they will not coil or lay down with out gaff tape. Kind of dificult when there are multiple bands and the monitors must be moved!

rewireable iec plugs!

"They" make rewireable IEC connectors but not, as far as many of us here have found yet, any with the nifty locking feature of the ones on those stiff and kinky  Rolling Eyes ones that QSC has molded onto the cables that come with the K series speakers
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: They make 'em
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 01:25:36 AM »

Lee Brenkman wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 22:11

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 21:57

rewireable iec plugs!

"They" make rewireable IEC connectors but not, as far as many of us here have found yet, any with the nifty locking feature of the ones on those stiff and kinky  Rolling Eyes ones that QSC has molded onto the cables that come with the K series speakers

True - but that's 2 issues, not the one I addressed.

I was addressing the "really suck to hide on stage when they are used as monitors, they will not coil or lay down with out gaff tape"

Like real men  Razz , I am still "old school" - non-locking.

BTW - anyone find one yet?
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Rob Spence

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »

Matt Errend wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 20:57

Personally I love the powercon connector. For inlets on equipment I would much prefer them of a IEC connector, even a locking one. L15-20's are expensive, chunky, and uncommon and 5-15 edisons are to easy to pull apart on accident.

This is also a fantastic idea, particularly if you're running powered wedges with powercon inputs (Meyer UM-1P's for example):

http://www.oawindsor.com/images/powercon.jpg

Where did the boxes come from? I like them.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 18 queries.