ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic Subteq sbt 2.6  (Read 5824 times)

Lee Douglas

Acoustic Subteq sbt 2.6
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »

A pair of Acoustic Subteq SBT 2.6 subwoofer came up on my radar at a really good price.  I can't seem to find any information on them searching here or elsewhere.  Anyone have any info, practical use experience or even general knowledge about these subs?  
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Ivan Beaver

Re: Acoustic Subteq sbt 2.6
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:52:52 PM »

They were a motor driven sub and I only remember hearing about them for about 1 year.  I saw them at a trade show-but could not hear them.

I never remember any articles about them and don't know anybody who had them.  But there could be other reasons also-company management etc.

My suspicion is that they didn't perform well enough to stay around.

Seeing as how they used a "non normal" driver mechanism, you would probably be hard pressed to get replacement parts.

I would be curious, but very suspicious before spending any money on them.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Don Ernst

• http://www.ernstaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 07:06:16 PM »

I have a pair of them that I still use occasionally.  They actually sound pretty good and go pretty low in frequency (roll off at 30), but you need 4 of them minimum to get the volume you need for loud rock music in a 400 seat room.

They are 4 ohm cabinets that are rated at 1500 watts maximum.  I say maximum because if you push them, the motors get hot and they shut down by thermal breakers in the motors for protection.  Since I just have two of them, I don't use them for concerts that require loud volume.  Lower volume concerts, they sound pretty good.  I also low pass them at 80.
Don Ernst
Ernst Audio Services, Inc.

"Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Lee Douglas

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:10:55 AM »

Thanks Ivan and Don for the info.  Any published spec's around?  Don do you high pass them at 30hz or is that their roll off point?  I kind of expected them to go considerably lower (not that 30hs isn't low) because of the motor design if not for the driver size and enclosure size.  Not a huge advantage over a pair of well designed 18's really.  Which is probably why they didn't catch on, I guess.  I think I was hoping for special effect low, so I could turn my basement theater into a mini-matterhorn or something.  Of course they may be a differet beast all together in a much smaller room.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:34 AM »

Lee Douglas wrote on Tue, 14 July 2009 01:10

Thanks Ivan and Don for the info.  Any published spec's around?  Don do you high pass them at 30hz or is that their roll off point?

I kind of expected them to go considerably lower (not that 30hs isn't low) because of the motor design if not for the driver size and enclosure size.  Not a huge advantage over a pair of well designed 18's really.  Which is probably why they didn't catch on, I guess.

I think I was hoping for special effect low, so I could turn my basement theater into a mini-matterhorn or something.  Of course they may be a differet beast all together in a much smaller room.

You should high pass all loudspeakers to protect from overexcursion.
The freq response is not just the driver and enclosure size.  There are cabinets that go a lot lower with a lot smaller drivers.

If indeed they are relatively flat to 30Hz, that is quite a bit lower than most 2x18's.  The max output and overal freq response and tone character is what makes a loudspeaker successful.

If you are talking about HT applications, then you will get some room gain in a small room.  That will help extend the low freq response.  But 30Hz (depending on how well they actually do it? Rolling Eyes )is not all that low for those applications.

But if they do what you want them to, then go for it.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:43:28 AM »

index.php/fa/23723/0/

Lee,

I hope this helps. The company was originally called Acoustic Control Corporation.

Iain Macdonald.

Don Ernst

• http://www.ernstaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »

No, I don't high pass them, they just go that low.  The specs say 20 hz at -10 and 25 at -3 but when I SMAART my system I see a 30 Hz roll off.  I'm not sure if the reason for that is the reference mic I use (a cheap DBX one) or the subs themselves.  I do hear more low end in these subs compared to the Yammie F28 double 18 subs I use for other shows.
Don Ernst
Ernst Audio Services, Inc.

"Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.