ProSoundWeb Community

Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums => AC Power and Grounding => Topic started by: Mike Sokol on January 29, 2014, 12:28:49 pm

Title: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Mike Sokol on January 29, 2014, 12:28:49 pm
Here's a video about a house fire that was started by a bag of used 9-volt batteries removed from smoke detectors. Hopefully, all of us tape-over the terminals of any 9-volt batteries removed from RF mics and such before throwing them away. Dumping them in a trash can under your desk could easily start a fire. Same goes for battery recycling centers at the big box stores. I would tape over ALL 9-volt batteries, no matter what their final destination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJH21WmALc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJH21WmALc)

Perhaps 10 years ago I stuffed a 9-volt battery in my pants pocket along with some pocket change. After a while I noticed that my leg felt a little hot, but I was laying on a stage in the sun doing some wiring so it didn't get my full attention. However, when I stood up my pants were "smoking hot" and then I realized it was the 9-volt battery shorted by the change in my pocket. No jokes about "hot pants" please...  :o
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Mark McFarlane on January 29, 2014, 12:59:42 pm
I 'heated' my leg with a 9 volt and keys in the pocket. Been careful ever since
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Patrick Tracy on January 29, 2014, 01:04:35 pm
There's an old survival trick of using your flashlight batteries and some steel wool to start a fire, so maybe even 1.5v batteries deserve this attention.
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: g'bye, Dick Rees on January 29, 2014, 01:13:09 pm
I 'heated' my leg with a 9 volt and keys in the pocket. Been careful ever since

I've watched more than one tech trainee/volunteer do the "9v dance".
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Mike Sokol on January 29, 2014, 01:21:07 pm
I've watched more than one tech trainee/volunteer do the "9v dance".

Here's the original James Brown "Hot Pants" to use for those situations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lfz8O_sMvI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lfz8O_sMvI)  ::)

Now I want it as a ring-tone...
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: g'bye, Dick Rees on January 29, 2014, 02:21:56 pm
Here's the original James Brown "Hot Pants" to use for those situations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lfz8O_sMvI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lfz8O_sMvI)  ::)

Now I want it as a ring-tone...

Gonna one-up you on that one, Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgoN-u_77NE
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Mike Sokol on January 29, 2014, 02:40:17 pm
Gonna one-up you on that one, Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgoN-u_77NE

My eyes... my eyes....  :o
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Tim McCulloch on January 29, 2014, 03:20:22 pm
Gonna one-up you on that one, Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgoN-u_77NE

Ritual lamé abuse.
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: John Sabine on January 30, 2014, 06:00:47 pm
I used to make hand warmers out of aluminum foil and D cell batteries. Just wrap the battery in foil leaving the ends open. When your hands get cold close the ends. Once they are warm open the ends up again. Works for about 1 football game. lol
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Jeff Bankston on February 01, 2014, 03:48:59 pm
Here's a video about a house fire that was started by a bag of used 9-volt batteries removed from smoke detectors. Hopefully, all of us tape-over the terminals of any 9-volt batteries removed from RF mics and such before throwing them away. Dumping them in a trash can under your desk could easily start a fire. Same goes for battery recycling centers at the big box stores. I would tape over ALL 9-volt batteries, no matter what their final destination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJH21WmALc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSJH21WmALc)

Perhaps 10 years ago I stuffed a 9-volt battery in my pants pocket along with some pocket change. After a while I noticed that my leg felt a little hot, but I was laying on a stage in the sun doing some wiring so it didn't get my full attention. However, when I stood up my pants were "smoking hot" and then I realized it was the 9-volt battery shorted by the change in my pocket. No jokes about "hot pants" please...  :o
are you saying you have a hot sausage in your pants !
a guy laid some sheet metal on top of an old "dead" car battery he was hauling to the scrap dealer. it blode up as he was driving down the road to the scrap dealer. i told him never short the terminals of any dead battery. dont put a round battery in your pocket if its got coins or keys. theres always a possiblilty of the coins or keys to make contact with both ends.
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Mike Sokol on February 01, 2014, 09:49:04 pm
A guy laid some sheet metal on top of an old "dead" car battery he was hauling to the scrap dealer. It blew up as he was driving down the road to the scrap dealer. i told him never short the terminals of any dead battery. Don't put a round battery in your pocket if its got coins or keys. there's always a possibility of the coins or keys to make contact with both ends.

Many people underestimate the power of a low-voltage/high-amperage bettery source. We used to cut Polaroid flat-pack batteries with a pair of scissors and watch them catch on fire. And as you note, car batteries have a lot of amperage capability. When I worked in a garage in my teen years, a mechanic got his wedding band caught between a wrench on the positive terminal of a car battery and the frame. It welded the ring to the wrench and the frame, then dumped a few hundred amps of current through his wedding ring, heating it cherry red in a few seconds while it was still on his finger. He finally yanked the wrench loose and ran to the sink to submerge his hand under water. The emergency room nurse said he was lucky to not lose his finger from the burns. I also saw a car battery blown up by a short which boiled out sulfuric acid and hydrogen gas before it ignited and went boom. Yikes... 

Got to take battery safety seriously.
Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Jay Barracato on February 01, 2014, 10:48:37 pm
In the army, we made hand warmers from the used 9v batteries from the miles gear while on field problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Title: Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
Post by: Chris Hindle on February 02, 2014, 04:25:20 am
When I worked in a garage in my teen years, a mechanic got his wedding band caught between a wrench on the positive terminal of a car battery and the frame. It welded the ring to the wrench and the frame, then dumped a few hundred amps of current through his wedding ring, heating it cherry red in a few seconds while it was still on his finger. He finally yanked the wrench loose and ran to the sink to submerge his hand under water. The emergency room nurse said he was lucky to not lose his finger from the burns. I also saw a car battery blown up by a short which boiled out sulfuric acid and hydrogen gas before it ignited and went boom. Yikes... 

Got to take battery safety seriously.
When I took the test for my mechanics license, I walked up to the first station, pulled off my watch and put it in my pocket. The tester noticed this, and asked me "Why?" I replied "I don't wear anything that can get snagged while I am working." He rolled up his sleeve, and showed me a wicked scar, and said "25 years ago, I wore a bracelet that got stuck while I was working behind a dashboard. This is the result. Don't even wear a ring. You get extra points towards your license."
Common sense, and that advise has served me well in the past 30 something years.
Electric ... good.
Electric with bling .... bad, very bad.