ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 03:09:55 pm 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by John Roberts {JR}

Brian mentioned $1.20 electricity/gallon of gas earlier.  But that brings up another question.  When gas was around $2.00/gallon here, something around 50-60 cents/gallon was taxes-primarily (supposedly anyway) used for roads.   Those tax dollars will have to be replaced somehow-electric vehicles will be just as hard on roads as IC powered.  I know there are ideas-probably none as hack/scam proof though as paying at the pump as we currently do.
The legislators have been chewing on this one for decades... not just EV but very efficient cars use less fuel, while lighter cars put less stress on road surfaces. The legislators unable to deal with the cognitive dissonance from taxing EVs while simultaneously subsidizing them have kept kicking this new EV tax down the road every time. Last proposal I've heard was including car odometer reading on tax forms and everybody paying per mile, while they are unlikely to remove the gasoline tax.

JR   

on: Today at 02:24:28 pm 
Started by Scott Hofmann - Last post by Scott Hofmann
Does anyone know of a registered Structural Engineer in the Oklahoma City area with experience in locating and rating rigging points in existing structures?
Looking to get contact information.

on: Today at 02:08:51 pm 
Started by Jeff Lelko - Last post by Chris Grimshaw
Thanks Chris and Tim.  I definitely should have mentioned ahead of time that this is a rather unconventional use for a microphone.  I agree that the omnidirectional pickup pattern would be best for my use here.  My only question is that both suggested mics have a 80Hz LF cutoff - wouldn't something with more LF extension be preferred here to capture the "guts" of the booms?

The 80Hz is more like a -3dB point or whatever. The mic will still pick up frequencies below 80Hz, but they're attenuated somewhat - a bit of EQ will bring that back into line just fine. It might be worth measuring the mic once you've got it (assuming you've got either a flat speaker or a measurement mic), so you can figure out exactly how much EQ would be needed.

An omni measurement mic might work, but maximum SPL will be a consideration. Dynamic mics don't really have that issue.

Chris

on: Today at 01:57:15 pm 
Started by Helge A Bentsen - Last post by Helge A Bentsen
This is moving (slowly) forward.
Got new grilles made, they look so good unpainted that I'm thinking about skipping the paint job on them.
Also have a pair of  drivers on their way for some testing.

on: Today at 01:41:33 pm 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by Stephen Swaffer

One more thought: there is some (perhaps anectodal) evidence that while a paved road is more expensive to build than gravel, the maintenance costs are much, much lower. A well-built paved road could be cheaper in the long term.

That observation was thrown at our county engineer when my road was being paved (just to my driveway-kinda like it that way :)  )  While that statement may be true, the difference of maintenance vs building is so drastically different that it would be many decades before it ever equaled out.  I thought it interesting that my road was paved when the county came into a "windfall" and decided to pave this road as it was the last one scheduled to be paved on a 40 year old plan.  Think things might have changed in 40 years?  I do have a neighbor that lives a few hundred feet down a side road that was not scheduled to be paved.  He had deep enough pockets to pave the road to his house just so he could live on a hard surface road.

I don't know the equities of taxes versus services.  I do know that during a years long discussion on zoning, it was often brought up that people move to the "country" lured by open space and lower taxes-but not understanding that roads don't always get plowed and there are real limitations on fire/police/ems services as well.  When we had  a major house fire over a decade ago, it took 18 minutes for the fire department to arrive on site (partly due to icey roads).  For years, I figured on missing a day or two of work every year because the roads would be impassable-even with 4WD.  I was stubborn enough to bury a vehicle a couple of times before I got smart.

Brian mentioned $1.20 electricity/gallon of gas earlier.  But that brings up another question.  When gas was around $2.00/gallon here, something around 50-60 cents/gallon was taxes-primarily (supposedly anyway) used for roads.   Those tax dollars will have to be replaced somehow-electric vehicles will be just as hard on roads as IC powered.  I know there are ideas-probably none as hack/scam proof though as paying at the pump as we currently do.

on: Today at 01:31:04 pm 
Started by Jeff Lelko - Last post by Tim Weaver
A measurementt mic is a good idea too!

I would think the best way to get the "experience" down on tape might be a pair of spaced omni's to capture most of it in stereo, then a LDC or some other low-frequency capable mic spaced far enough away that the spl won't kill it.

Then blend in post. You'll have to time align the low freq mic, but then you would also have the ability to mix, compress, and eq that LF mic differently.

on: Today at 01:18:19 pm 
Started by Dan Godwin - Last post by Dan Godwin
is it just the weight that you are interested in?

Or does freq response and output SPL matter to you?  or something else?

Does it need a pole cup?  Remember that a lightweight base can easily tip over, depending on the top you have on it.  Does that matter?

Knowing the actual needs will help to get useful responses.

Thanks Ivan.  I knew as soon as I posted, I shouldíve added more information. Weight is the primary reason for considering something else.  Iíd assume the Frequency response can only get better from the band pass sub Iím using now. Iíd like similar output if possible but recognize that may not be possible.  Pole cup is nice but not 100% needed. Iím currently using DSR12 for tops. Thanks!

on: Today at 01:15:24 pm 
Started by boburtz - Last post by Brian Jojade
Thatís an important point to keep in mind.  Yearly price increases are coming quarterly (or faster) for some mfgrs now.  That 2x price from anvil might not be as outrageous as it initially seems, especially if youíre comparing to prices from a few years ago.

Yep.  Inflation in certain products is INSANE right now.  If there's plywood in the case, realize that in just the last year, the cost of that material is up around 300%, and they appear to continue to rise.

Custom built anything is going to cost a LOT more than it did just a few years ago.  All you can do is plan for that in your budgets.

on: Today at 01:13:06 pm 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Stephen Swaffer
My facility had a fused main disconnect-with 3000 amp fuses.  We replaced it with a breaker a couple of years ago.

Often, fuses are a better choice to reduce arc flash, because they can interrupt current faster than breakers.  Unfortunately, when you get into fuses that large, the available fault current may not be high enough the quickly blow the fuse.  IIRC the fault current I calculated was somewhere around 12,000-15,000 amps-which put the clearing time for the fuses in questions around 2-3 seconds.  I'm thinking it would seem like a lot longer than 2-3 seconds in the event of a fault like that!

on: Today at 01:13:01 pm 
Started by Dan Godwin - Last post by Ivan Beaver
After two gigs this weekend that required 17+ stairs, Iím considering some lighter subs.  Iím not as young as I used to be and Iím definitely feeling it in my back.  Iíve been using 2 Yorkville LS701p which weigh in at a measly 95lbs.  Any recommendations?  Should I just hire some strapping young lads to do the grunt work?  Thanks!
is it just the weight that you are interested in?

Or does freq response and output SPL matter to you?  or something else?

Does it need a pole cup?  Remember that a lightweight base can easily tip over, depending on the top you have on it.  Does that matter?

Knowing the actual needs will help to get useful responses.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 13 queries.