Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 10:54:16 PM 
Started by Ron Bolte - Last post by Jordan Wolf
Wow.

on: Today at 10:35:06 PM 
Started by Brad Harris - Last post by Brad Harris
I haven't, but I'm curious, which model do you have? I have the PSA3605.

Yes, the 3605

Brad

on: Today at 10:20:05 PM 
Started by Ron Bolte - Last post by Ike Zimbel
It is with a very heavy heart that I pass along the news I learned yesterday, Doug put up an amazing fight, but ultimately has lost his battle with cancer.  I donít know a lot of details yet, I will pass them along as I hear.

RIP friend.
Sad news. I only knew Doug through this list, but I valued his input and his vision and commitment to maintaining it. RIP and condolences to all who knew him.

on: Today at 10:18:58 PM 
Started by Ron Bolte - Last post by Ron Bolte
My favorite Doug story,
We were sitting at the bar at Thurmans (the jazz, bourbon and taco joint he owned for a while) after a bit too much bourbon he starts telling me how the Danley Jericho series was all his idea.  Im like "sure sure Doug, we all have million dollar ideas... lol"
A few days later I'm sitting with Mike Hedden and Tom Danley, discussing the new sound system for Powell Hall, unprovoked, Tom brings up that time Doug Fowler gave him the idea for the Jerichos... Soooo... next time was my turn to buy the bourbon.  He never let me forget that, he'd come to shows at the symphony, sit behind me and remind me how good HIS speakers sounded. Good Times.

on: Today at 09:46:04 PM 
Started by Ron Bolte - Last post by Bob Stone
Sorry to hear that :(

on: Today at 09:41:13 PM 
Started by Craig Hauber - Last post by Brad Harris
I've been using an inexpensive hand held VNA for this and other things over the past few months. So far, it has worked great and follows what I should be seeing based upon spec sheets regarding cable lengths, loss, SWR, etc.

Running S11 and more accurate S21 measurements when possible on cable runs to verify and better choices regarding gain staging and signal level at the distribution units and end receivers has been great (I end up running several hundreds of feet of coax on multiple antennas on most larger scale events)

Checking helical antennas that the free element is still in the proper tuning, let alone verifying which SMA antennas are still radiating in the correct pass band.

S11 length to fault measurements has been spot on with the correct VF% from cable spec sheets.

It may be the bottom of the barrel $$ wise, it might not preform as accurate as a more expensive unit, but shows the ballpark close enough for me. I'd love to check it out against something that costs much more (and is as portable) from an established measurement brand, but I don't have that access, or funds to do so..

A decent spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator can pull double duty and handle most cable and filter devices as well, and be more useful for frequency coordination overall. The VNA is a handy tool to supplement my Spectrum Analyzers, right next to a decent and inexpensive frequency counter.

Brad

What would be needed to test and verify antenna coax cables?  I'm using Belden 9913 and LMR-400 and would like to know that there are no issues once lines are installed and terminated. 
Also when I get rental packaged systems for tour I've had some fairly sketchy looking older cables and would love to verify them before trusting.
Most installed lines are either 50, 75 or 100ft and using crimped BNC ends with tools and connectors from the same vendor as the bulk cable.  But would love to be able to verify rack patch BNC's too as well (and if it's capable, use the gear for testing HD-SDI cables.) 
Even factory pre-made cables may have issues after shipping and the unintentional abuses of installation or tour use.

I'm having a suspicion that such dedicated equipment is very expensive, but if there's a way to do it with a multiple pieces of more affordable (or used) gear or equipment that HAMs mights have?  Can overall larger size, longer setup time and overall convenience can be used to compensate for the cost of a new nifty handheld unit that costs $12k?

on: Today at 09:40:12 PM 
Started by Brad Harris - Last post by Ike Zimbel
Well, doing some power measurements the other day troubleshooting some equipment that was out on a gig... I noticed the TTi unit I was using was routinely reading 20dBm lower than expected.

Both my FSH and RFE were reading as expected (13-14dBm for expected 30mW output)

In the Calibrate Hardware program, there are 182 calibration steps...

The manual mentions that Recalibration should be done by skilled personnel ... which leads me to believe that this particular unit never was calibrated before retail..

I do have access to a 0-6GHz Signal Generator.. has anyone performed a calibration on one of these units beforehand?

Thanks,

Brad
I haven't, but I'm curious, which model do you have? I have the PSA3605.

on: Today at 09:12:20 PM 
Started by Justin Waters - Last post by Mac Kerr
Cardioid headsets exist to fix a problem.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

on: Today at 08:47:26 PM 
Started by Philip Moseley - Last post by Ike Zimbel
Hi Guys
Thanks very much for all the responses.
One of my clients (an 80s hair band) likes to wander around the house, but I never have a problem with it. However, when he's back where he should be, if he turns to face the drummer all hell breaks loose. I know he has a 58 with a Shure receiver that he said he paid nearly a grand for. And it actually sounds very nice.

The singer from the band that prompted my original post - well, I'm not certain at all what she is using, but I will definitely check next time I mix them, although they only tend to play once a month. I looked at some pictures of the Shure range, and the 58 looks almost identical to the cheaper options. And it might not be a Shure at all - could be a no-name clone. Could be I'm clutching at straws.
She likes to wander a bit, but it was no worse than when she was back on stage. And they have no monitors on stage.

Maybe I'm the problem.
Later
Phil
Next time you have the mic in your hands, try jingling some keys in front of the capsule and see what you hear. The "key test" was the terror of RF mic exhibitors on trade show floors for a long time. What it does, is see how the companding circuitry in the RF link deals with transients. A really, really good system will give you the sound of jingling keys, cheaper (and cheaper, and cheaper...) systems will give you a series of muffled thumps as the compander circuit tries to deal. So, if your singer is suddenly in front of some raging cymbals, the audio quality of the mic may take a dive.
WRT some other responses, I would argue that drop outs and poor RF link are going to be audible as their own thing and not a reflection on the capsule being used. I would also second the suggestion to make sure you are dealing with a genuine SM-58 capsule, even from Shure, as they have some cheaper versions that look similar.

on: Today at 08:46:58 PM 
Started by Justin Waters - Last post by micenthusiast
Whats the application difference between a omni vs cardioid headset mic?  When would you want one over the other?

Cardioid headsets exist to fix a problem. If you're having no problems with an omni, then there are almost no benefits to moving to cardioid, and lots of other considerations to now take into account (off axis coloration, proximity, GBF changing based on the speaker's orientation on stage, etc)
https://www.rubbermonkey.com.au/

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 15 queries.