ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:49:16 pm 
Started by Brad Harris - Last post by John Hiemburg
That's why I'm using "M" disks-apparently they're good for 1000 years: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC#:~:text=M-DISC%20%28Millennial%20Disc%29%20is%20a%20write-once%20optical%20disc,Inc.%20and%20available%20as%20DVD%20and%20Blu-ray%20discs.

-Mark

I don't know... 'millennial disks' - aren't they (according to the news) most likely to go out and spend your data on avocado toast or get offended by something you stored on them?

I kid, I kid.

*dons flame suit just in case*

on: Today at 12:35:52 pm 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Henry Cohen
I brought this up in the wireless forum here a few months ago, what does everyone think about WiFi 6E?

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while.

Really? What about all the current incumbents; Part 25 satellite up/down links, Part 101 fixed microwave, Part 74 Broadcast Auxiliary, Part 78 Cable Relay?

on: Today at 11:47:57 am 
Started by Brad Harris - Last post by drew gandy
I can personally attest that DVD is a very temporary storage option - with prosumer burners, the dye fades after a while and you lose all your data... I know from experience from losing 10 DVDs of Pro Tools files, Opcode Studio Vision Pro Files, home movies, etc...

Were all of your losses from the same batch of discs? Same manufacturer? The same burner? I've heard many anecdotes about this kind of failure but haven't heard many details.

I've pulled some stuff off of 10yr+ old DVD archives and had no issues but I've only attempted a tiny fraction of what I have on DVD. Back in the studio days I tried to save everything on DVD-R as well as DVD+R discs in an attempt to diversify. In the next few years I will hopefully go through and transfer the most important stuff to different media in order to avoid the bit rot. If you consider it a 10 year archive form, and then think about how much tech has (or will) advance in that 10 years, it buys you time to find a better archive method and perhaps cull some of what needs to be saved.

Again, I think of DVD as only one form of media with which to attempt your longer term archive.

on: Today at 11:20:37 am 
Started by Kevin Maxwell - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Thanks for the conclusion, Kevin.

on: Today at 11:03:12 am 
Started by Keith Billik - Last post by Scott Holtzman
Well Brian was kind enough to have me on the panel with some very esteemed folks.  I can't think of anything cooler than that.  Search "The Audio Opinion Show"

on: Today at 11:02:42 am 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Erik Jerde
I brought this up in the wireless forum here a few months ago, what does everyone think about WiFi 6E?

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while. Yes, one would need devices with WiFi 6E radios along with the appropriate numbers of access points, repeaters, ect, but in a crowded WiFi environment, seems like a good solution for a few years until the neighbors catch up.

6E would be a worthwhile upgrade if you have devices that use it and are in a congested environment or move around a lot of data.  I doubt people are moving that much data on phones yet phones are likely to be the first devices people have that can use it.  The congestion win wont last for more than a year or two Id bet and will be expensive during that time.

on: Today at 10:52:22 am 
Started by Debbie Dunkley - Last post by Steven Cohen

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while. Yes, one would need devices with WiFi 6E radios along with the appropriate numbers of access points, repeaters, ect, but in a crowded WiFi environment, seems like a good solution for a few years until the neighbors catch up.

on: Today at 10:15:19 am 
Started by Brad Harris - Last post by Dan Richardson
apparently they're good for 1000 years:

We'll know if they were right in 3009.

on: Today at 09:19:46 am 
Started by Brad Harris - Last post by Mark Oakley
I can personally attest that DVD is a very temporary storage option - with prosumer burners, the dye fades after a while and you lose all your data... I know from experience from losing 10 DVDs of Pro Tools files, Opcode Studio Vision Pro Files, home movies, etc...

That's why I'm using "M" disks-apparently they're good for 1000 years: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC#:~:text=M-DISC%20%28Millennial%20Disc%29%20is%20a%20write-once%20optical%20disc,Inc.%20and%20available%20as%20DVD%20and%20Blu-ray%20discs.

-Mark

on: Today at 01:16:27 am 
Started by (Brian) Frost - Last post by (Brian) Frost
Pair of EV elx118 subwoofers.  Put into a bar that closed shortly after covid.  have seen little light use.  Good condition.  These are the passive version.  Great sounding reasonably small subwoofers.  Located in chicago.  $600 for the pair. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 14 queries.