ProSoundWeb Community

Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums => AC Power and Grounding => Topic started by: Mike Sokol on May 13, 2017, 10:39:13 pm

Title: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Mike Sokol on May 13, 2017, 10:39:13 pm
Twin Cities actor blows the whistle on 'unsafe' theater production

http://m.startribune.com/twin-cities-actor-blows-the-whistle-on-unsafe-theater-production/422120013/

Director and theater founder Joseph Stodola had a vision for the “Medea” production that included using a pool of water near electric circuits, according to Benninghofen. The actors saw that feature for the first time at Wednesday’s rehearsal.

Actor Benninghofen, who is a member of the Actors Equity Union, said that he recognized immediate safety risks.

“We knew that there was going to be a water feature but we didn’t know there would be a 30-foot long exposed electric circuit along the drip edge of this pool which had three- to 4,000 gallons of water,” he said Friday.

Benninghofen consulted with union reps, leaders in the field and the fire marshal, then finally blew the whistle on the production.

“Anyone who’s been around the stage for a while knows that electricity and water will always find each other and you lose trust in the producers when there’s such a flagrant safety issue,” he said.
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Tim McCulloch on May 13, 2017, 11:09:12 pm
I'll see your potential hazard and raise you carnival shock (in my home town):



A toddler is fighting for her life after being hurt at a carnival at Towne West on Friday night, police said.

The 15-month-old girl was playing at about 9 p.m. when she “grabbed onto a couple of the bars” surrounding a carnival ride “and lost consciousness,” Officer Charley Davidson said.

The parents flagged down some off-duty officers who were at the carnival, and the child was rushed to a hospital for treatment.

She remained in critical condition on Saturday afternoon, Police Chief Gordon Ramsay said.

“There was a possibility of some type of electric shock,” Davidson said. “We’re still trying to determine whether that is the cause.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article150407577.html#storylink=cpy

Ya think?  Maybe we need the Physics Police!  Calling Officer Einstein...

Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Mike Sokol on May 14, 2017, 06:51:35 am
I'll see your potential hazard and raise you carnival shock (in my home town):

That's so sad. And this points out the primary reason that all metallic objects around anything with AC power should be bonded to the common Ground-Neutral bonding point. Something as simple as a frayed extension cord laying across bike rack barrier can energize it to 120-volts. Of course, that's why SOOW cable is required for these types of connections. As far as "determining the cause", most electricians are poorly equipped to troubleshoot these types of failures. And carnivals are, by their very nature, temporary wiring situations. So there's not a lot of pressure to shut down the ride until a cause is found. The carnival really doesn't want to be implicated, so chances of finding the actual cause are pretty slim.
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: TJ (Tom) Cornish on May 14, 2017, 07:34:46 am
Twin Cities actor blows the whistle on 'unsafe' theater production

http://m.startribune.com/twin-cities-actor-blows-the-whistle-on-unsafe-theater-production/422120013/

Director and theater founder Joseph Stodola had a vision for the “Medea” production that included using a pool of water near electric circuits, according to Benninghofen. The actors saw that feature for the first time at Wednesday’s rehearsal.

Actor Benninghofen, who is a member of the Actors Equity Union, said that he recognized immediate safety risks.

“We knew that there was going to be a water feature but we didn’t know there would be a 30-foot long exposed electric circuit along the drip edge of this pool which had three- to 4,000 gallons of water,” he said Friday.

Benninghofen consulted with union reps, leaders in the field and the fire marshal, then finally blew the whistle on the production.

“Anyone who’s been around the stage for a while knows that electricity and water will always find each other and you lose trust in the producers when there’s such a flagrant safety issue,” he said.
It seems to me there must be more to the story than an extension cord by the pool to cause a permanent shutdown. If it was that simple, they could have moved it or changed whatever the cord did.
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Mike Sokol on May 14, 2017, 07:42:40 am
It seems to me there must be more to the story than an extension cord by the pool to cause a permanent shutdown. If it was that simple, they could have moved it or changed whatever the cord did.

Apparently this producer has a history of running out of money mid-run, so maybe he was looking for an excuse to "pull the plug".
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Andrew Broughton on May 14, 2017, 01:47:23 pm
"Police Chief Gordon Ramsay"??
Was he investigating an issue with some under-cooked chicken in Catering?
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Tim McCulloch on May 19, 2017, 03:15:57 pm
I'll see your potential hazard and raise you carnival shock (in my home town):



A toddler is fighting for her life after being hurt at a carnival at Towne West on Friday night, police said.

The 15-month-old girl was playing at about 9 p.m. when she “grabbed onto a couple of the bars” surrounding a carnival ride “and lost consciousness,” Officer Charley Davidson said.

The parents flagged down some off-duty officers who were at the carnival, and the child was rushed to a hospital for treatment.

She remained in critical condition on Saturday afternoon, Police Chief Gordon Ramsay said.

“There was a possibility of some type of electric shock,” Davidson said. “We’re still trying to determine whether that is the cause.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article150407577.html#storylink=cpy

Ya think?  Maybe we need the Physics Police!  Calling Officer Einstein...

Update.  The victim has passed away.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article151506177.html
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Tim McCulloch on May 21, 2017, 12:25:04 pm
Now the "experts" weigh in.

I take exception to the characterization of "290V. being an odd voltage."  It's one leg of a 480V 3 phase service (277V) running a little over due to load or the genny is set a little high, possibly to compensate for voltage drop over the feeder run.

Linky:  http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article151752007.html
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Stephen Swaffer on May 21, 2017, 10:47:58 pm
Now the "experts" weigh in.

I take exception to the characterization of "290V. being an odd voltage."  It's one leg of a 480V 3 phase service (277V) running a little over due to load or the genny is set a little high, possibly to compensate for voltage drop over the feeder run.

Linky:  http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article151752007.html

It seems like he is focusing on a cut wire and possibly lighting-all well and good.  However, if the existing NEC requirements (as we have discussed in other threads here) were followed in that everything metallic that could become energized were bonded to a common grounding electrode then as soon as anything energized touched that fence a breaker would have tripped somewhere.  If the ground you are standing on and a fence are at the same potential you cannot get electrocuted-that is the purpose of bonding and the grounding electrode.

People ignore that and some tend to think that those that are sticklers are "stick-in-the-muds"-but everytime a breaker trips instead of energizing something is a potential life saved.  I've personally worked through many scenarios like that-they never make the news because nothing really bad happened.

Keep this in mind next time you don't have 15 minutes to properly bond and ground at a gig.
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: TJ (Tom) Cornish on June 01, 2017, 04:19:40 pm
There's more info in this thread:

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/twin-cities-actor-blows-the-whistle-on-unsafe-theater-production.42084/

The short version is that people were already pissed off, and this was the final straw.
Title: Re: Show shutdown for electrical safety
Post by: Tim McCulloch on June 02, 2017, 10:12:52 am
There's more info in this thread:

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/twin-cities-actor-blows-the-whistle-on-unsafe-theater-production.42084/

The short version is that people were already pissed off, and this was the final straw.

When the site isn't overloaded...

https://minnesotaplaylist.com/magazine/article/2017/a-breach-of-trust

Playlist writer Derek Miller lays out the concerns of cast, crew and folks that declined to work the show based on a number of factors that concluded with Actors Equity members walking out after consultation with their union representative.

This is what happens when a company has no board oversight and the board has not implemented a production structure with clear lines of responsibility and authority.

It has a history of not paying actors in full (at least the non-Equity cast), violating terms of IP licensing and generally lying and misrepresenting things (at least by this director/artistic director).

This production would likely have injured or killed actors and/or crew had it gone on, unchecked.  I do not mourn the passing of Medea.