ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 03:00:53 pm 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by John Roberts {JR}
Good discussion.  I've approached this relative subject with our local town council, as a sitting council member.  The matter was having to do with an LID street dust abatement proposal that benefitted relatively few of the total community that would be paying the bill.  Council was all for it collectively (except myself)Ö and I asked:  If this is such a good idea, how many of you would voluntarily pay for that exact service of the street directly in-front of your house?  And if you would, why haven't you already?  Because you sure could have just as I did to the streets bordering my house, but I decided to not continue the dust abatement because I couldn't justify the cost benefit after trying it.  Silence.  Then I asked:  Why would you consider imposing costs on the public that you personally wouldn't fund on an individual cost/benefit basis?  Silence.
OPM, politicians love spending "Other people's money".

JR

PS: Ironic perhaps but some politicians are paying for their own private security while defunding the police. (I'll stop now and apologize in advance).

on: Today at 02:54:02 pm 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by W. Mark Hellinger
So, you're suggesting municipal agencies are allocating and providing services at a below cost rate.  They shouldn't do that and it was a mistake at the onset and constitutes municipal mismanagement.

Good discussion.  I've approached this relative subject with our local town council, as a sitting council member.  The matter was having to do with an LID street dust abatement proposal that benefitted relatively few of the total community that would be paying the bill.  Council was all for it collectively (except myself)Ö and I asked:  If this is such a good idea, how many of you would voluntarily pay for that exact service of the street directly in-front of your house?  And if you would, why haven't you already?  Because you sure could have just as I did to the streets bordering my house, but I decided to not continue the dust abatement because I couldn't justify the cost benefit after trying it.  Silence.  Then I asked:  Why would you consider imposing costs on the public that you personally wouldn't fund on an individual cost/benefit basis?  Silence.

on: Today at 01:14:55 pm 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Chris Hindle
Lucas in Triumph - every wire the same color.  Bah, humbug.
I had to "fix" the tail lights on an late 60's MG something or other.
EVERY FUCKIN WIRE WAS WHITE!
No tracers, no nuthing.
Way to go Lucas.....................
Chris.

on: Today at 12:08:15 pm 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Craig Hauber
Dunno for sure but my guess is that you'll find them in low-voltage, high-current applications such as electroplating. Interrupting that much current at high voltage requires more advanced methods of suppressing the arc. --Frank

I'll add that high-power BEVs can run ~1000 A at ~400 V when you floor it, so that's getting up there.

The original ubiquitous "non-battery" EV, (commonly known as a diesel-electric locomotive), average around 3.2MW from their onboard power plant -I bet there's some large current fuses in those. 
Not to mention some interesting computer controlled traction control via very large solid-state motor drives.

-I'm always been fascinated by anything that starts with logic-level voltages in microscopic silicon ending up in control of stunning amounts of raw current! 

Do they have multi-megawatt breakers that wouldn't need contacts rebuilt after opening (especially with DC)?  Possibly would be too large and heavy for anything other than stationary power-plant or substation usage?

on: Today at 11:15:04 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Frank Koenig
So anyone know what the application for a 5000A fuse is?

It's interesting that it's just a bunch of 100A in parallel.  Anyone know if that's how all the fuses larger than 100A are built?

Dunno for sure but my guess is that you'll find them in low-voltage, high-current applications such as electroplating. Interrupting that much current at high voltage requires more advanced methods of suppressing the arc. --Frank

I'll add that high-power BEVs can run ~1000 A at ~400 V when you floor it, so that's getting up there.

on: Today at 11:05:52 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Chris Grimshaw
So anyone know what the application for a 5000A fuse is?

Output fuse on a Macrotech.

More seriously, a family member works on newspaper printing presses. Some of those drives are rated for 1MW. Even the medium-sized drives won't turn with anything less than 240V 3-phase applied.

Some industrial stuff, then, might require a fuse of that kind of size.

Chris

on: Today at 10:55:39 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Dave Garoutte
Why do Englishmen like warm beer?
It's because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Lucas, the Prince of Darkness

Back in my mechanics days, i made good coin getting the smoke back into MG and Triumph "electrics"....
Chris.
Lucas also invented the flashdark.

on: Today at 10:37:53 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Tim McCulloch
Why do Englishmen like warm beer?
It's because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Lucas, the Prince of Darkness

Back in my mechanics days, i made good coin getting the smoke back into MG and Triumph "electrics"....
Chris.

Lucas in Triumph - every wire the same color.  Bah, humbug.

on: Today at 10:31:35 am 
Started by Nathan Riddle - Last post by Mac Kerr
I'll toss my 2-cents in here

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

on: Today at 10:18:01 am 
Started by Heath Eldridge - Last post by Helge A Bentsen

I have both 650's and the Danley's. The SM 80 took the place of a pair of KF650z and do it with half the weight and 1/3 the power requirements. Now I did have the help of Ivan Beaver in setting up the rig but I constantly do shows with the SM 80 that used to be done with KF650's. The 80's are louder and wider and carry further.

Iíd like to see some SPL measurements confirming this before I believe it.
On paper, putting a SM80 up against a pair of KF650z is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I owned SH50 a few years back, sounded very good but didnít reach itís stated SPL in my experience.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 16 queries.