ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
 on: Yesterday at 06:39:37 PM 
Started by John Wick - Last post by John Wick
Setting the crossover point high to not damage the tops, but not having ANYTHING producing those frequencies is a big problem.

And yes, lots of companies are now selling the idea that their line array boxes can be used in pairs per side.  Of course, ONE trap box that they sell could do a better job, but if they have the opportunity to sell two boxes per side, well, there's that.  And customers right now get all excited calling a 2 box array a 'line array' system but it's really not.  The JBL VRX is a constant curvature array and can't even be configured into a line array regardless of what their marketing tells you.

Another outdoor video as an idea https://we.tl/t-xkZx1W6tiM.

on: Yesterday at 06:33:15 PM 
Started by Damien Johnson - Last post by Brian Jojade
3 boxes isn’t a line array except with the constant curvature stuff.

We have the JBL VRX in stock and it’s the devil everyone knows.  Doesn’t sound all that great but get loud as F*#% and quickly deploys on top of the subs. 

Yep, there's no 'line' aspect to constant curvature arrays.  But it looks like more than one box, so that must mean it's better...

Nah, the VRX sounds 'ok' and does get silly loud.  No real line array properties available other than minor shading.  Adding boxes only increases the vertical coverage pattern, which quickly becomes silly.

But, it's easy enough to deploy that it rents out.  There are worse options on the market and if you know what you're doing, you can get decent performance out of them.

on: Yesterday at 06:25:53 PM 
Started by John Wick - Last post by Brian Jojade
Setting the crossover point high to not damage the tops, but not having ANYTHING producing those frequencies is a big problem.

And yes, lots of companies are now selling the idea that their line array boxes can be used in pairs per side.  Of course, ONE trap box that they sell could do a better job, but if they have the opportunity to sell two boxes per side, well, there's that.  And customers right now get all excited calling a 2 box array a 'line array' system but it's really not.  The JBL VRX is a constant curvature array and can't even be configured into a line array regardless of what their marketing tells you.

on: Yesterday at 06:20:51 PM 
Started by Robert Lunceford - Last post by Robert Lunceford
I believe the 1.4" spec on the Danley compression driver would be the exit diameter. I don't know the diaphragm diameter but it probably is similar to that of the X40.

Mike, you are correct. The driver in the SM80 is a B&C 12CXN76 and the HF voice coil diameter is 3".  Thanks for pointing that out.
The B&C driver in the SM80 is an off the shelf stock driver. That is a big advantage of the Danley.

on: Yesterday at 06:16:29 PM 
Started by Robert Lunceford - Last post by Robert Lunceford
What amp are you using on the sm80?

QSC PLX3602

on: Yesterday at 06:10:47 PM 
Started by John Wick - Last post by John Wick
A video gives NO idea how it sounds in real life.  A set of bookshelf speakers would sound the same on the video as the best speaker system in the world.

2 boxes is NOT a line array.  It's 2 point source boxes and pretty much will behave as such, plain and simple.  A single point source box would likely sound BETTER overall, with much less complexity involved.

If you're crossing the subs at 120hz and crossing the tops at 200 hz, you've got a HUGE hole in your sound.  I can't imagine live it sounding that great.  Vocals might be fine, but won't sound very full.  Guitars will sound thin as hell.  Bass guitars will be a mess. Both will rely heavily on stage volume to get what you want, which means uneven coverage at best.

Building speakers can be a fun hobby, but in reality, there's a LOT that goes into the designs of systems to get the package to all come together.  If you are asking about HPF settings, you probably don't have the knowledge yet to build something getting even close to sounding as good as known brand name piece of gear.  Now, it is easy enough to build something that gets loud, and many people equate that as a primary consideration.  And yeah, you can build something somewhat acceptable even if you don't know what you're doing yet.

But, when you put it up next to properly designed and tuned gear, the differences will jump out at you.

I actually want to show that you can do a lot, the reason I keep them so high is that I don't want to damage the speakers. 2. In that clip the guitars were not picked up being started by installation, so the mix was not done. Means like Jbl Vrx Or does L acoustics, Das Vantec when they made systems out of 4 mean they were wrong? :)) There are systems with 4 subwoofers and 2 satellites on each side, how about this?

on: Yesterday at 05:56:22 PM 
Started by Mark Knight - Last post by Paul G. OBrien
Hi, I am a real newbie.  I just bought a couple of moving heads, that I really just want on prism, slowly moving around during my sets.

It looks like I need a DMX for this.

Some heads have built in movement programs you can access from the onboard menues but those may or may not be anything like what you want. With a DMX controller you can get the effect you want but usually not with the cheaper hardware versions, to get smooth movements requires a controller with built-in movement macros(a shape generator). I have 2 hardware controllers here that can do this easily.. the Blizzard ProKontrol MH and the ADJ WMX1, and just about any software based system should be capable of doing this you just need an interface of some type. I haven't used the Vibrio software so can't comment on that specifically but I have tried to use another architectural software package recently to control moving heads and it wasn't terribly successful.

on: Yesterday at 05:51:58 PM 
Started by Peter Kowalczyk - Last post by Peter Kowalczyk
Thanks @Caleb, great details. 

I've done a number of systems now with Ashly PEMA amps, which allow you to easily create a custom iOS control app.  This has been great for multi-zone 70V Bar BG music systems.

Recently I've been doing more in the world of Allen & Heath AHM systems.  Two down in the last two years, bidding a third.  Really liking this ecosystem.  The last one follows your advice to put the input processing (and mode selection, etc) into the matrix DSP, and put output processing in a DSP-equipped amp.

Sounds like I need to learn Qsys.

As the thread title, and your comments note, the real challenge is making things easy for unskilled users.  As simple as I try to make things, I seem to keep getting tech support questions.  For this last job, I spent many many hours writing up a manual in an attempt to prevent some of those questions.

on: Yesterday at 05:28:15 PM 
Started by John Wick - Last post by Steve-White
A video gives NO idea how it sounds in real life.  A set of bookshelf speakers would sound the same on the video as the best speaker system in the world.

2 boxes is NOT a line array.  It's 2 point source boxes and pretty much will behave as such, plain and simple.  A single point source box would likely sound BETTER overall, with much less complexity involved.

If you're crossing the subs at 120hz and crossing the tops at 200 hz, you've got a HUGE hole in your sound.  I can't imagine live it sounding that great.  Vocals might be fine, but won't sound very full.  Guitars will sound thin as hell.  Bass guitars will be a mess. Both will rely heavily on stage volume to get what you want, which means uneven coverage at best.

Building speakers can be a fun hobby, but in reality, there's a LOT that goes into the designs of systems to get the package to all come together.  If you are asking about HPF settings, you probably don't have the knowledge yet to build something getting even close to sounding as good as known brand name piece of gear.  Now, it is easy enough to build something that gets loud, and many people equate that as a primary consideration.  And yeah, you can build something somewhat acceptable even if you don't know what you're doing yet.

But, when you put it up next to properly designed and tuned gear, the differences will jump out at you.

What the hell are you talking about Brian?  They sounded great to me!  https://we.tl/t-hqv5cbq8pq

Aside from the vocals being buried and zero articulation on guitars or drums - ya just gotta look past some of the details...

on: Yesterday at 05:09:29 PM 
Started by John Wick - Last post by Brian Jojade
https://we.tl/t-hqv5cbq8pq

I left a video to give you an idea of ​​how it sounds. Thank You.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 16 queries.