ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 01:35:34 am 
Started by Justice C. Bigler - Last post by Justice C. Bigler
So Meyer has moved SIM3 to their discontinued products list.

https://meyersound.com/documents/

Rumor is that there won't be a SIM4 and that Meyer will be officially endorsing Smaart v9 for measurement purposes.

I wonder if there will be a USB to SIM port adapter to connect to the Galaxies...?

on: Today at 01:20:44 am 
Started by staljabro - Last post by Russell Ault
Hi all,
{...}
Thanks, J

Hi J!

The rules here require that your Display Name be your real, full name (and no one can answer your question until you comply). If you change it quickly you might beat the mod that is inevitably coming to lock this thread...

(Also, just FYI, the e-mail notifications haven't working in quite a while.)

-Russ

on: Today at 12:52:50 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Steve-White
I built a few Tesla coils back in the high school days.  Two of them worked out well, one would push 12" sparks into the air.

One of the guys in my Electronics class built a huge Tesla coil with a secondary about 8' tall.  Never got much more than 12-18" arcs from it - something was off on the tuning or coupling - probably had too much air space between the primary and secondary coils.  It either was losing it in the coupling or the capacitance was off on the primary and it didn't hit resonance.

https://soulspiritguidance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/CPxgoNnXAAEmvRf.jpg

What he was up to at Wardenclyffe has always fascinated me.

on: Today at 12:47:23 am 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by Steve-White
I was thinking more about this:

Let's say our municipality needs one teacher and one classroom for every 25 students. Well, obviously, these costs increase directly with the number of students, which will (roughly) track total population. Of course, now you have to get those students to and from school, and suddenly cost-per-acre rears its head (heck, if an acre has 1000 students on it, you just build the school there and the kids can walk). Garbage is an even more glaring example: the cost of garbage collection is primarily in the salaries of the people doing the collecting, and it takes them almost as long to collect the garbage for my one house as it does for them to collect the garbage for the whole 12-story apartment building I used to live in. Heck, even policing cost, while mostly population-driven, has an area component, since it costs more officer time (and vehicle wear-and-tear) if all the crime scenes are spread further apart.

(Just to see, I tried to take a look at the Fort Worth city budget but I give up; why is it so complicated?)

-Russ

Why is it so complicated?  Simple answer - they want it that way.  Very smart property tax planning scam they pulled at city hall.  We have the highest rates in the state.  When they slipped the harness on, nobody noticed.  How did they pull that one off?  By very clever design.  Simply undervalue the properties.  The tax hikes are already hard-wired into the system.  They just re-value the properties and the money flows...

Crime begets crime.  The high density areas are also crime hotspots.  How?  Simple, any given criminal has more opportunity for virtually any type of crime - robbery, burglary, drug sales.  Don't have to go far to peddle their goods, or prey upon the victims.

on: Today at 12:20:15 am 
Started by Andrew Broughton - Last post by Russell Ault
The original ubiquitous "non-battery" EV, (commonly known as a diesel-electric locomotive), average around 3.2MW from their onboard power plant -I bet there's some large current fuses in those. 
Not to mention some interesting computer controlled traction control via very large solid-state motor drives.

-I'm always been fascinated by anything that starts with logic-level voltages in microscopic silicon ending up in control of stunning amounts of raw current! 

Do they have multi-megawatt breakers that wouldn't need contacts rebuilt after opening (especially with DC)?  Possibly would be too large and heavy for anything other than stationary power-plant or substation usage?

Judging from the manual for the GE Dash 8 Series, it appears that "motor cut-out switches" act as over-current (as well as flash-over) protection devices, and there's no indication that there are any precautions for their use (beyond, potentially, a horsepower de-rating when operating the locomotvie with only the remaining motors). For what it's worth, a lot of DC diesel-electric locomotives have a nominal maximum operating current of ~1000 A or less, and that's across all traction motors, so any individual over-current device should "only" need to be able to handle no more than about 250 A DC (which is still no mean feat, but a far cry from 5 kVa).

And it looks like these will easily do a MW, and they aren't even that big. (Strictly speaking this isn't a "breaker", but it could easily be used as part of an over-current protection system.)

-Russ

on: Yesterday at 11:06:19 pm 
Started by Frank Koenig - Last post by Matthias McCready
One could argue almost anything...

The US interstate highway system was promoted by President Eisenhower  because of lessons learned during WWII (He liked that autobahn). Serviceable roads are useful for military readiness. Its hard to think like that so many decades later, but it was a valid concern at one time. The unintended side effect of promoting commerce was icing on the cake.

JR

Correct on both counts  ;D

And still strategically useful today.

on: Yesterday at 11:03:06 pm 
Started by staljabro - Last post by staljabro
Hi all, I have 4x 300-500 G4 systems, and 4x 100 G4 systems that I'm wanting to add to WSM. I have the 300-500s done, but I don't know how to add the 100s easily. We are doing a day in each venue, so not a lot of time, and I just want to be able to frequency scan, then coordinate (obviously manually entering the data on the 100s).

Anyone able to point me in the right direction. Everything is GB band.

Thanks, J

on: Yesterday at 10:37:37 pm 
Started by Heath Eldridge - Last post by Caleb Dueck
The FA22's look like excellent speakers but is this the price for a pair of them?

https://reverb.com/item/14879509-fulcrum-acoustic-fa22ac-pair-w-bags-powered-mains

There's a substantial price jump between the FA22 (passive) and FA22AC (self-powered).  So much so that the -AC version was discontinued.  I'd get the regular FA22 and something like the Powersoft T604 amp. 

on: Yesterday at 10:26:17 pm 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by Luke Geis
Ye old Audio Log!!! A 2X4 cut to size and covered in gaff tape. Works every time.

on: Yesterday at 10:03:47 pm 
Started by Tim McCulloch - Last post by John Fruits
Did anyone else see this article:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-will-finally-give-iphone-and-ipad-users-an-important-choice-to-make/

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 15 queries.