ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:39:11 AM 
Started by Mike DeAcosta - Last post by Brian Jojade
Selling something like that as an entire kit is easiest as a local sale, since the logistics of shipping is a challenge.

The resale value of things like custom patch panels is effectively zero most of the time, so sale price is roughly what the components sell for. As a package deal, you will generally get offers for less than if you piece things out, often significantly less, unless you can find a buyer that wants exactly what you have.

While the system may sound great, the styling certainly looks dated. That's going to make it a tougher sell as well.

Quick internet searches didn't find very much in terms of matching speakers.  When that's the case, you typically need to find someone that's specifically looking for this product, or you end up selling it for very low prices.

on: Yesterday at 11:55:39 PM 
Started by davidhello - Last post by Mike Caldwell
The viewer don't need to install an app, the player is embedded in a web page, so we just give them a link, like you can do with youtube or most other web video player.
For the streaming encoder, as I said in my first post, I use the open source freeware OBS (in srt mode, using ffmpeg), and you're right, in the back end of the streaming platform you have to provide the PID of the audio track so it can make the match.

I book marked that site, of the few events that I also provide live streaming there has not been a need for multi channel/track audio, good info to have though.

What audio mixer do you have now? Many can provide multi channel/track digital output via a USB B connector and will appear as a sound card to the streaming software, the X32 included, others maybe a little easier to set up.

That said as mentioned hiring in the production maybe the best way to go.
Maybe have them set it and get it running and turn it over to you for the remaining days of the event, when it's over the company comes back and loads up their equipment and you don't need to even lift, move or store anything.

You would need to set up 16 somewhat isolated rooms for the translators.

on: Yesterday at 09:36:46 PM 
Started by Miguel Dahl - Last post by MattLeonard

How about a Google Doc with a big font?

on: Yesterday at 08:34:40 PM 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by Rick Earl
If you don't need ethercon, I can tell you from the install field, the Netgear AV Line M4250 stuff is pretty popular, as it's got an AVL- specific interface available to make configuring your network for whatever AVL-over-IP protocol you're using. Network jacks are on the back, though.
https://www.netgear.com/ca-en/business/wired/switches/fully-managed/m4250/avline/

Was just talking to a friend who now specs the Netgear AV Line for all his installs. Knowing his work, I trust his opinion. 

on: Yesterday at 07:59:10 PM 
Started by Mike DeAcosta - Last post by Mike DeAcosta
Greetings All! A friend suggested I reach out here for some advice on a listing price for a sound system I wish to sell. I would like to sell as complete system. I spoke with Tom McCauley last week and he provided me all of the original spec sheets and he still manufactures all components for this system. I've owned this system since around 1991-92. Used in my Mobile DJ Company.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on a listing price and any ideas on best place(s) to list it.

This system was completely rebuilt about 4 years ago including sending ALL cabinets to renowned speaker builder/technician John Mueller in Richland, PA. He addressed any issues and repainted all cabinets. At this time the entire amp rack was replaced with 2 brand new amps and the DriveRack, with custom built patch box.

The new amps and DriveRack were professionally configured by Entertainment Services Group in Allentown.

System Specs:
• Cabinets are McCauley Brand
• 4 - 18" Subs - Model 850
• Top Cabinets are model 814-1 and have 2-12" High Powered Midrange Speakers and a 1” Titanium Compression Driver/Horn combination
• Amps (2) - QSC PLX 3602, 3600 Watts
• DBX DriveRack PA+ Complete EQ & Loudspeaker Control System professionally configured for this system
• Custom Speakon Connectors making set up quick and easy

Thank you!
Mikey D

on: Yesterday at 06:39:41 PM 
Started by Tsun Gwing-Kai - Last post by Scott Bolt
Thank you Scott!

I’ve decided, with the help from this forum, to not buy any more gear until I learn the trade better.

Current tops are KW153 from QSC and I will run them full range.  K12.2 for monitors.  I have one SM58, which can get me thru the comedy show, and might borrow or rent a small mixer like the Alto you recommended or a Yamaha MG10XU for starters

I have a truck, 5x8 utility trailer, and some round pole mic stands.  Was tempted to do one QLX-D with SM58 capsule but agree, the skill level < gear level at this moment.

With regards to the live band, it’s one drummer (6 mics), one keyboardist, one or two vocals, and a few self contained players with their own amps (guitar) and maybe even a synth fed into the PA.

I’m months away from that, so am taking the time to learn the ropes before I get too far in.  As of yesterday, a live sound guy of 20 years that heard my mixes with no experience said “not bad for a beginner”.  He could hear everything, no feedback, yes I cheated by cutting too much HF overall and using comps to account for the talent’s variations, but overall OK he said.

As mentioned in my other thread, I’ll be recording everything with a camcorder on a tripod at FOH so true professionals can critique my mixes.

Until then, I’m ready for the comedy show (only acquisition was a round base mic stand) and even if I can’t source a mixer, my K12.2 and KW153 have mic pre’s.

Just need to set levels on stage which means no remote adjustments can be made.  Aside from that, thanks for all the suggestions and advice for this newbie.

I look forward to growing my skills and posting back soon!

Tsun
Hi Tsun,

The KW153 is a pretty good speaker; however, it is painfully heavy, large, and can't be put on a pole over a sub.  All of this combines to make it a PITA for anyone that isn't doing EITHER a fixed install, or someone that has the budget for a road crew.  Additionally, it really isn't a great full band solution without subs ..... and if you have subs ..... why do you need 15" 3 way tops?  The answer is, you don't.

So, with that in mind, your KW12.2's aren't a bad speaker.  As you pointed out, one or two of these is more than enough for a comedy show.  They are also really good as tops over subs for a full band, as well as wedge monitors.

So, with this new information about your rig, I amend my recommendations as follows:

Sell the KW153's and purchase some subs (maybe a pair of the QSC KS118's).  This will give you the ability to scale a rig from a pair of speakers on a stick (comedy, acoustic gigs, etc), to a full band (tops over subs).

The Yamaha MG series mixers are really crap.  Friends don't let friends buy MG mixers ;).

Spend a little money on a good mixer that will cover your needs.  In your case, your least expensive full-band mixer would be a Behringer XR18.  For a few hundred more, the Allen & Heath CQ20 would be my 2nd recommendation.  The CQ also has some really nice features for people who are just learning that will really help you get sounding good faster.

The full band will need monitors.

The least expensive option would be to get a rack mounted head phone amp like the Behringer HA8000 ($180) that has 8 wired IEM sends.  Each person would need a set of ear buds like the Shure SE215's ($100).  This is by far the least expensive and best sound quality for the buck you can get.

For a band as you have laid out, you would need at least 3 wedge monitors.  Alto TS412's would work, but they aren't that durable and 3 of them would run you ~$750.  Additionally, wedges are the #1 cause of live feedback (I am not a fan).

When you grow into a pretty profitable band, you can investigate good wireless IEM systems; however, for a 5 piece band, you are looking at around $4000.00 in IEM transmitters and receivers to get you where the $180.00 head phone amp solution will get you.... but they are nicer to setup since you don't need any wires going out on to stage at all.

Of everything I have mentioned, I would start with a decent digital mixer first.  All of the mixers I have talked about are way overkill for a comedy act; however, you will need a mixer with a minimum of 16 XLR inputs for a full band.

If all you want to do is the comedy show type stuff, I would still buy a little mixer like the Flow 8 or a ZED 10Fx so you can control feedback and overall sound volume quickly and easily.  Plus most comedy shows I have ever seen play music between comedians and have a 2nd mic for the announcer.  This means you need at least 2 mic preamps and a stereo input within a mixer to run such a show like a real comedy place would.

on: Yesterday at 05:09:39 PM 
Started by Miguel Dahl - Last post by Brian Jojade
The messages app works, but needs an internet connection. In the old days, it would work offline on macs, which was awesome.

A quick search doesn't find many actively supported alternatives that don't rely on the internet.  Sad, really, as it shouldn't be a difficult task to create.

I have a solution that I bult on the FileMaker pro platform.  Essentially, it's just a text stream that shows on all of the iPads. Needs a filemaker server to run though.  I was able to get it up and running in about 20 minutes though, and it did the job it needed to.

on: Yesterday at 03:16:30 PM 
Started by Tim McCulloch - Last post by Woody Nuss
NBA legend and celebrity Grateful Dead head Bill Walton

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/two-time-nba-champion-bill-walton-dead-at-71/ar-BB1n99BJ?ocid=msedgntphdr&cvid=80554640318c4ff4893f708e02253094&ei=25

on: Yesterday at 03:06:49 PM 
Started by Al Rettich - Last post by Jonathan Kok
Yamaha and Luminex both make touring-grade switches with Ethercon connectors. I'd agree with the others that, depending on the error, the Yamaha switches you have may be fixable on your end.

If you don't need ethercon, I can tell you from the install field, the Netgear AV Line M4250 stuff is pretty popular, as it's got an AVL- specific interface available to make configuring your network for whatever AVL-over-IP protocol you're using. Network jacks are on the back, though.
https://www.netgear.com/ca-en/business/wired/switches/fully-managed/m4250/avline/

on: Yesterday at 02:54:52 PM 
Started by Tsun Gwing-Kai - Last post by Frank Koenig
A note on hobbyists and insurance: So long as I don't accept payment for my hobby activities, sound or other, I'm covered under my liability umbrella. The moment I take one dime I would need a separate liability policy for my "business". This is my understanding of my situation, anyway.

We've had the should-hobbyists-be-allowed-to-exist discussion before and I'm not going to reargue that right now but to say yes they should.

--Frank

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.