ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 02:13:02 PM 
Started by Jeremy Young - Last post by Jeremy Young
I can't help but thinking that CAT5e with breakout boxes (or solder) might be better where you can. 100' of CAT 5e doesn't weigh anything... just a thought to eliminate wireless where you can. Just bought a set of the Lynx breakout boxes for mics/monitors up front.

Is that the LyxPro stuff?  I have a Radial Catapult setup thatís been very handy but the LyxPro stuff on Amazon seems to be a fraction of the price.  I wouldnít want cars driving over network cable either, but Iím considering this for some of the hardwired runs within each block rather than XLR. Curious about perceived quality if weíre talking about the same thing. 

Iíll also be using my Cable Cube combo/matrix NL4 splitters for the passive speaker streets to save on some cable runs.  Currently in the process of mapping out cable lengths and inventory to ensure I have more than enough of everything. 

on: Today at 02:09:17 PM 
Started by Jeremy Young - Last post by Jeremy Young
Thanks for the offer Don, Iíll be taking you up on that. 

I have four hours from the official closing of the streets to the beginning of the car show to set up 16 remote speakers and two subs over 2,700 feet of streets.   While thatís happening another supplier will be building an SL100, and then we have two hours to set up audio for the band performing on stage and complete the sound check, the PA there will cover the first block not included in the area above.  I have a team of three booked, should be an adventure. 

Some of the IEMs are for streets fanning out from the central one so it wonít be 6 total IEMs in series.  There will be four wireless jumps in a row before the last speaker near the pier so noise is definitely a concern but since each beltpack can be on a separate frequency and the audio expectations are a little more utilitarian than a concert, Iím feeling fairly confident. 

I had considered the IEM combined with Mic idea to avoid batteries but the total event time is only four hours so the extra cost and complexity didnít seem justified.  Also the wireless links are relatively short, just street crossings as mentioned.  Many of the cars that will be getting set up in the roads after my speakers are in place are quite low to the ground.  Cable ramps just didnít seem practical and would probably be more nuisance than helpful but I also wasnít willing to let 400 muscle cars drive over my cables.  Power for each block of speakers will be sourced from a local light pole, so wireless also has the advantage of eliminating ground loop potential.   

Iíll have a proper D-Fin antenna for the MCís wireless mic.  Hoping to have coverage for the first 250í or so from the stage with my QLXD and Iím confident Iíll exceed that (in a straight line, line of sight the whole time). 

All the remote powered speakers have handles on the top (mix of DXR10, DSR112, SXA250) and the two amp racks for passive speakers (SX250 and SH95HO) will be easier to tidy cables at.  Just trying to be mindful of loose wires and adapters etc; other than the amp racks which will be tucked at the foot of a speaker tripod, everything else I want on top of the speakers.   They anticipate 20,000 people roaming the streets. 

Looks like if I copy the wiring of Robertís cable Iíll retain whatever conductor(s) the receiver is using for its secondary antenna which is the part I was most unclear on.  Thereís not much documented in the Senny manuals for how it utilizing the headphone cable as a secondary antenna so I wasnít 100% whether my act of modification from stereo unbalanced to mono unbalanced would affect that function. 

Sorry if I was defensive yesterday, just getting over a small surgery. 

on: Today at 01:24:07 PM 
Started by Nick Tims - Last post by Scott Holtzman
The board is predetermined. Each fixture # is set and not adjustable. 1, 17, 33, etc.

That is what I thought too but didn't want to voice my opinion.  That could be very limiting especially with modern fixtures.  Once you have used hires positioning it's hard to go back.

on: Today at 01:22:32 PM 
Started by Dustin Campbell - Last post by Scott Holtzman
It was probably around 100 degrees - it was pretty hot - but the 818ís worked with out issue- but this could have factored in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about your speakers.  Those amps are tricky to repair.   My warehouse mate has a busy repair facility and he swears at the amps. 

This is precisely why I use passives.  The subs are not hard to process, you can get a very inexpensive package and have a bunch of delay subs.  You can use inexpensive amps.  It just requires you to commit to using a drive rack.

on: Today at 01:02:37 PM 
Started by Jerry Turnbow - Last post by Jerry Turnbow
Good to know, Doug - thanks!

on: Today at 12:50:28 PM 
Started by Bill Hubbard - Last post by Ned Ward
No gear suggestions but instead a how to approach this suggestion. If 150 to 300 people in hotel ballrooms is your bread and butter gig buy the gear that meets that need and no more. Rent the gear needed for the larger shows and be sure to add that cost to your pricing. You can probably integrate your small room PA into the larger rig as front fills and additional subs if you coordinate now with your likely local rental vendor.

This - you said your current gear covers 60% of the gigs you do. Don't upgrade to something that you'll be trying to pay off well past retirement for the 40% of gigs.
Are there other providers with RCF gear nearby? Cross-renting or just renting additional subs may be what's needed for outdoors. For outdoors, you may also want to to think about fill speakers - either to the side, or as delay speakers for better coverage outdoors. Again, rent and include in the cost.

Maybe not popular, but if you don't have lights as part of your package I'd spend money there first as that is something the hosts can see, appreciate and you can bill extra for it.

I'm a small band sometimes sound provider and realized a long time ago that 3x QSC K10s covered most of the small gigs we do without sound provided. If I really want a sub, I'll rent - but it's not sitting in my garage taking up space. Sold the KW181 we used 2x in a year. Of course, with GAS I do look for sub $600 buys on the smaller Yamaha or RCF 12 subs...

on: Today at 12:43:45 PM 
Started by Nick Tims - Last post by duane massey
The board is predetermined. Each fixture # is set and not adjustable. 1, 17, 33, etc.

on: Today at 12:40:04 PM 
Started by Jeremy Young - Last post by Ned Ward
I can't help but thinking that CAT5e with breakout boxes (or solder) might be better where you can. 100' of CAT 5e doesn't weigh anything... just a thought to eliminate wireless where you can. Just bought a set of the Lynx breakout boxes for mics/monitors up front.

on: Today at 12:18:39 PM 
Started by Jeremy Young - Last post by don mcmeckan

Thank you Robert that confirms my suspicion.  Much appreciated.

Hey Jeremy, you can have one of my IEM systems to play with till the gig.

Pick up todayÖÖ

Thanks, Don

on: Today at 11:52:13 AM 
Started by Dustin Campbell - Last post by Dustin Campbell
I see you are in Banning. What was the temperature when the speaker failed.
Was it in direct sunlight?
It was probably around 100 degrees - it was pretty hot - but the 818ís worked with out issue- but this could have factored in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 16 queries.