ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70v speakers comparable to JBL 24CT  (Read 6197 times)

Adam Grisi

70v speakers comparable to JBL 24CT
« on: January 08, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »

Good evening, I'll start off by first saying hello as I'm a newbie to the forums.
I've got a bar/restaurant I'm working on that I'm looking for some in-ceiling speakers for the dining area for a 70v system. A co-worker of mine originally spec'd out some JBL 24CT for the application, but they are a little more than the customer is going to want to spend for dining room speakers.
Can anyone recommend some quality 70v in-ceiling speakers that are comparable to these JBL 24ct's but a little more economical?
The speakers are going to be in a sheetrock ceiling. Am I better off buying transformers for other non 70v speakers? I appreciate any help/suggestions, Thanks in advance!

Adam

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
Re: 70v speakers comparable to JBL 24CT
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »

First off it's not the transformer that makes a speaker "expensive". You can get plenty of crap speakers with crap transformers for less money but guess what? Crap sound.

If your customer is stuck on the look of the 24CT there are lots of comparable products out there such as Toa and Atlas, Compare prices.

Something that is a lot less money and can sound good is the old standby- an 8" speaker, transformer and baffle. Again, if you want decent sound get decent speakers with transformers. I recommend at a minimum Quam 8C10FEPAX speakers and TBH70 transformers. Be sure to also use the plaster mounting rings when installing these in a sheetrock ceiling. Don't use toggle bolts like hackers do.

-Hal

Adam Grisi

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »

Thanks Hal... He's looking for something in the 5-6" range. I appreciate the input on the Quam's, I'll be looking around their website.

Andrew Welker

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »

Look at the Atlas FAP42T's.  They are a nice sounding speaker, and you can get trim rings for them so that they can go in the drywall ceiling.

Andrew
Andrew Welker
Project Engineer
Ford AV - Denver

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »

Atlas, Quam, Lowell, Tannoy, JBL, TOA, Soundtube, QSC, Extron, Bose...there are plenty of choices over a wide price and performance range.  Is the Owner asking you to Value Engineer the system?  There are certainly cheaper alternatives but are they looking simply to cut cost or are they actually wanting to maintain the performance of the Control 24CTs?  If they want comparable performance for the application, then what performance qualities are important in this application (e.g. do you actually need the 101dB output or the extended HF response?)?  Are there any performance criteria such as output, response or coverage that are known or are you simply looking for more subjectively based suggestions?  Is there a specific budget per speaker assembly desired?

Do consider the entire assembly of speaker, transformer and enclosure when making comparisons as the transformer and enclosure can affect the performance of the assembly.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »

We used to use the JBL ceiling loudspeakers but changed to the Atlas FAP42's several years ago (maybe 4 or 5?).  

The reasons, The Atlas has a more even dispertion than the JBL's (they had a hot spot in the middle), and they cost less.

The Atlas subs are also MUCH better sounding than the JBL's.  THe JBL's sound like a 5 gallon bucket being whacked Laughing

We have installed MANY hundreds of them and have yet to have a failure in service.  Had a couple damaged in shipping, but have never "blown" one
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Don Boone

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »

We mostly use Tannoy which basically has 3 quality levels in their ceiling line. If you are looking for a much cheaper speaker than JBL etc. checkout M&G www.mgelectronics.com.

The ones we auditioned for a severely budget crunched client sounded OK and were about 1/3 the price of JBLs.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.