ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on DI boxes  (Read 6853 times)

Minka Matikainen

Opinions on DI boxes
« on: January 05, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »

Hi all,

I tried to make a search on this subject also, because I know this has been handled at least in multiple different topics, but I still would like to hear your opinions on some DI's.

My idea is to use following setup, if you do not have any better ideas for me.

- For acoustic guitar Radial ProDI or Pro48. Which one do YOU recommend based on YOUR experience(I would like to use Countryman Type 85, but it is a bit too expensive)
I've been also thinking about the AR133, but I've HEARD that Radial boxes might sound better on piezo miked acoustic guitars...

- For bass, the same as above OR BSS AR133
(I do have some UltraDI's which do sound good, but as mentioned in other topic(s) these Behringers tend to have issues with interference, especially when placed near tube amps.)

- For keyboards Radial ProDI (x2) BSS AR133 (x2) or Radial ProD2

- For PC's, HD's etc. Radial ProAV2

I'm open for any suggestions, but it seems that Radial has the cheapest price vs. quality ratio to offer.

I know people are keen on BSS boxes also and that Countryman's are the top ones for many people, but I'm really looking to get a solid, robust, good sounding and simple system and a selection of DI boxes, which would be as simple and versatile as possible.

If a Radial ProDI is the one that does all I need without major losses in sound quality, I will go for 6 to 8 pcs of those...

Br,
-Minka-
Digital vs. Analog, why bother...
When you're doing live sound, you want a living sound, so my preference is analog... ...Although my mind is changing slowly...

Kemper Watson

• http://www.theplaceholders.com
Re: Opinions on DI boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »

For acoustic guitars the J48 is almost unbeatable..

Travis Watson

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:10:53 PM »

+1
Just trying to remember all the things I'll never know
Travis Watson
Laguna Sound

Adam Robinson

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »

The J48 is a great box... I have a couple AR-133s in my toolkit.  They tend to do a good job on everything although they might not be the best option for certain applications.  I just know I can rely on them.

Matthew Moser

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »

Minka,

I've always been a fan of the Radial JDI and Countryman but if you looking for something a bit more reasonably priced, My vote would be for Radial PRO-DI for guitars, keyboards, and Bass. I used one at at a gig last night for both bass and acoustic guitars and it worked and sounded great, Their a tough little box.

~Matt

Peter Dakin

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »

I like the klark technik ones. Nice rubber cover so they never move about and are nice and rugged. Sound really clean too. Plus they look quite funky! Laughing

Tim Padrick

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »

Always use an active DI on any device that does not have an active output.  For cost vs performance I like the Radial Pro48.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »

+1 for a the Radial Stuff - I've found the Pro48, ProDI and ProD2 are excellent all around good DI's.

"Critical" applications get JDV or JDI's.
"What happens is fact, not truth. Thuth is what we think about what happens"
            -Robert McKee

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »

Any of the DI boxes you mentioned will get the job done just fine. I bought some J48 DI's for Christmas, and they rawk. Except when you get a really really hot signal into them. Then you get a wonderful clipping sound. Im picking up a JDI just for those jobs...

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Jon Smith

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 11:42

Any of the DI boxes you mentioned will get the job done just fine. I bought some J48 DI's for Christmas, and they rawk. Except when you get a really really hot signal into them. Then you get a wonderful clipping sound. Im picking up a JDI just for those jobs...

Evan

Evan,

For those really hot signals, there is a -15db pad on the J48 that has solved that problem for me. (I am sure you already knew this) in most cases.

By-the-by... glad to hear you are having a good time on your tour.

Jon
My only real worry is they'll solve the problem just before I release my protest song

Life is timing, Living kills you!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.