ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Educational Books on Church Sound??  (Read 9584 times)

Jacob Robinson

Educational Books on Church Sound??
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »

I am really interested in learning more and more about live mixing and how it works, (that must be the Engineer in me, but all my classes on solid mechanics are no help to me here!!).

I was wondering if anyone highly recommends any books on the X's & O's of live mixing particularly churches, but not a must, the basics are the same for the most part it seems.  Books that cover techniques and the definitions of stuff like matrices, groups, PFL and AFL, amps and speaker wiring, line and insert jacks.  etc. . . . the list could go on and on.

I realize that Google and this site could very well answer all of my questions, but it would be nice to have a central source for hard copy reference.

--Jake 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Educational Books on Church Sound??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »

One of the basic books would be the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Manual.  It covers all the things you need to know about system composition and setup, without which the (final step of ) mixing cannot really be accomplished.    Think of it as playing an instrument:  you must have a fully functional and in-tune instrument before you can play music.  Same with a sound system.  If it's properly set up and tuned, mixing is not that hard.  If it's not, then there's a lot less that you can do.  First the cake, then the icing.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Spitzer

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »

+1 on the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. I have mine sitting right next to me. It's a little dated (mine's a 1990 revision), but it's all still relevant. Also, since you're an engineer, the math at the front won't bother you. I know a lot of people who completely glaze over reading the first part of the book as it goes over basic sound concepts. Plus, you can pick them up new for like $20. That's a great price considering how much info it contains.

-mS

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »

I am really interested in learning more and more about live mixing and how it works, (that must be the Engineer in me, but all my classes on solid mechanics are no help to me here!!).

--Jake

So your a mechanical guy?  (you can't push a mic cable) I know you asked for books but as another mechanical guy, I like http://www.synaudcon.com/site/  Very technical, myth free, A lot of electrical engineers on the forum.  Pat Brown (The owner of the forum, gives some very good courses in live sound for technicians.  I drove all the way to Ohio for two of them.  Now he gives them on line as well.

Frank
Not to Code

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »

So your a mechanical guy?

Yep. I start my first Job in the field this Monday, testing and developing shock absorbers.  I have spent the last five years working as a cabinet-maker and putting myself through college.  Which has not proven to be any help in the live mixing arena. :)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »

Yep. I start my first Job in the field this Monday, testing and developing shock absorbers.  I have spent the last five years working as a cabinet-maker and putting myself through college.  Which has not proven to be any help in the live mixing arena. :)

Congratulations.
You will find the cabinet-making to be useful in your ME career.  You have learned to use tools, and what can and can't be done with them and an idea of how long things take. Very useful stuff.  Enjoy the ride.

Re the crossover to sound stuff.  I once asked a room full of professional people on a project I was consulting on how many of them were working in the field they were degreed in.  It was about 7%  The most important things college teaches is how to learn and how to be organized.  Those skills are transferable.

Frank
Not to Code

mark ahlenius

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

Hi,

I too have the Yamaha book "Sound Reinforcement Handbook" and find it very useful.  I've not had the luxury of being able to attend SynAudCon - but someday I hope to.

I also read a book called Sound Waves and Acoustics (ancient text), but really good about understanding sound propagation in rooms, air, etc.  As a ME, you'll find this a piece of cake.  Its just good to understand the physics of your space.

What I also find very very useful is the ProSoundWeb forum, the Study Hall, and a number of the tutorials you'll find on this site.  There's a number of mags too which have good articles from time to time. 

Befriend an experienced sound engineer who can spend a little time with you.  Having a sound expert who can critique your work and offer suggestions is really great.  I have a prof friend at Columbia College who teaches audio.  Having a friend you can ask challenging questions is another great asset.  Try to seek a few out and build a relationship with some audio/mix geeks.  If you have to buy them coffee or a burger, its well worth the investment.

Plus just ask questions here.  Lot of experts in this group.

'mark

I was wondering if anyone highly recommends any books on the X's & O's of live mixing particularly churches, but not a must, the basics are the same for the most part it seems.  Books that cover techniques and the definitions of stuff like matrices, groups, PFL and AFL, amps and speaker wiring, line and insert jacks.  etc. . . . the list could go on and on.

I realize that Google and this site could very well answer all of my questions, but it would be nice to have a central source for hard copy reference.

--Jake
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:22:25 PM by mark ahlenius »

chuck clark

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »

Hey my van needs new shocks, can you help a brother out?! Ha! Ok.

1. Yam sound reinforcement. Good for basics. Read everything you can that interests you about sound, but always remember- You shouldn't need to be a mechanic to drive a car. It doesn't HURT anything, but designing and/or fixing is different from driving/mixing. OK?
2. Theory is the correct place to start but don't let theoretical ideals overide good results. Let your ears be the final judge.
3. Your a cabinet maker? You should have some mad speaker box building skills! (OR maybe you prefer a day off) Ha!
4. In smaller spaces your dealing with doing a composite mix. That is, a significant percentage of the sound is coming off the stage even if the sound system is off! Listen to what needs to be added to and bring up in the mix -usually primarily vocals- and ALSO listen for anything that is loud withOUT being re-inforced and try to control that. This can be the unseen half of the battle. Happy sailing!
Chuck

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:25:18 AM »

A few very random thoughts on "getting started"...

• Turn off the sound system. Learn how unreinforced sound propagates through the room. Sit in different places while the worship team practices. You must know what your baseline sound is before you can accurately reinforce it.
  • Beware of the solution in search of a problem. Salesmen the world over will try to sell you things to fix a problem they've never heard. Quantitatively identify problem areas in your present facility and system. This may mean using test equipment.
  • Trust your meters. They know some things better than your ears. But also use your ears; don't slavishly abide by the meters when the sound is terrible.
  • Know thy equipment. Learn to read block diagrams. Document everything.
  • Teach others. Today's eight-year-olds are well versed in using computers; no reason they can't learn sound systems, too, if they show an interest.
  • Pray. Knowledge, understanding, and wisdom all come from God.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:27:11 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

EmilBarnabas

• Barnabas MultiMedia
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »

Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook is good, but Yamaha also makes the Guide to Sound Systems for Worship.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/software/worship_handbook/?mode=model

A great free publication is the Shure Audio Systems Guide for Houses of Worship.
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/publications/index.htm
And on that same web page find the Introduction to Recording and Sound Reinforcement as well as other free PDF books to download.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.