ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantom from both consoles  (Read 12753 times)

A Man

Re: Phantom from both consoles
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »

brandon g. romanowski wrote on Wed, 02 January 2008 13:31

Well i already asked my radio and it doesn't know about voltage loss........What did yours say ?  

I asked mine and it only said something about catering serving Chicken and Pasta again.  Laughing

Rex Ray

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »

I was in a bar in Lancaster Penn one night and the bass player
had a rack of Phase Linear amplifiers that had the VU meters replaced with rms voltmeters. I asked if I could see inside and sure enough:"Built by R. Ray,1973" inside. It was an FOH amp rack from my days at Cameron Sound in Miami. I guess you guys ended up with the Recall that we sold here in Nash. I'm looking at the svc. manual on my shelf right now. Rx
BTW,that recall has done a lot of big awards shows!

Rex Ray

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2008, 10:15:54 AM »

Hi,David. By the time you figure metalwork,Jensen transformers,assembly time,silkscreening,etc,if you get away with
$10k for a 40x3 iso split,I'd say your'e in the ballpark.
HTH,Rex

Rick Stansby

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 09:12:01 PM »

Rex Ray wrote on Sun, 06 January 2008 07:12

The consoles used in the tour the OP referred to used ATI Paragon consoles on both ends of the snake.
ATI products do not meet DIN phantom current standards at this point. Their sister company API consoles do. Rather than send a guy (me) out to modify 100 input modules on site,I told them to just phantom from both ends. Problem solved.

From your answer I assume that your general policy is to only send phantom from one (non-ATI) console.  What do you think about the idea of sending phantom from both (non-ATI) consoles?  
Rick

Rex Ray

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »

Hi,Rick. The engineering geek in me is umeasy with it (circulating currents on the ground,blah blah)but the "get it done" road guy says why not? I know a lot of guys that do it with no ill effects. In the real world, I see lots more damage from people plugging Ipods,cd players and stuff into phantomed inputs
than console damage. What JR says about back-grounded phantom switching is more common than you might think,though.I had a
call from the road a bit ago where a tour had an XL4 at FOH and
an "entry-level" Yamaha at mons. He went through 4 xl4 psu's before I could figure o it out. Turning phantom on at the stage
solved the symptom. YMMV,Caveat Emptor,you get the idea.
Have a sparkling day,Rex

Rick Stansby

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »

Rex Ray wrote on Tue, 08 January 2008 06:25

Hi,Rick. The engineering geek in me is umeasy with it (circulating currents on the ground,blah blah)but the "get it done" road guy says why not? I know a lot of guys that do it with no ill effects. In the real world, I see lots more damage from people plugging Ipods,cd players and stuff into phantomed inputs
than console damage. What JR says about back-grounded phantom switching is more common than you might think,though.I had a
call from the road a bit ago where a tour had an XL4 at FOH and
an "entry-level" Yamaha at mons. He went through 4 xl4 psu's before I could figure o it out. Turning phantom on at the stage
solved the symptom. YMMV,Caveat Emptor,you get the idea.
Have a sparkling day,Rex

Rex,
   Thanks.  I was pretty sure it didn't make much difference one way or the other.  I'll go back to worrying about important things that actually impact my shows.  Maybe one day I'll run into one of the rare situations where it does make a difference.  

Rick

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.