ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft GB4  (Read 4495 times)

Mike Spitzer

Soundcraft GB4
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »

Hey guys. We're starting a new church here in a few months and I'm figuring out the equipment we're going to need to buy. I'm using an A&H GL2400 right now and I know it'll hold up well. The Soundcraft GB4 has some features, though, that I really like.

Without going into all of the pluses and minuses of each console, does anybody have any experience with the quality of the GB4s? This is going to be a portable church, so this thing's going to be in and out of a trailer every week that's stored outside. It'll be in a high quality touring case, so it'll be protected there. I know the A&H will hold up, but if the Soundcraft will, too, that would actually be a better fit for us.

Thanks
-mS

Mike Dixon

• SR Forums
    • dbaudiovideo.com
Re: Soundcraft GB4
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »

We have a GB4 at our church and a GB8 for our company's portable rig.  Both consoles have been in service for around 3 years and both have performed really well with zero problems or issues.  We have been really happy with the GB series consoles.

Jeremy Johnston

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »

We had a GB8-32 channel as a monitor console for several years.  It worked fine, but the lack of a switchable PAD on each channel is a pain for some instruments and microphones.  The gain control only has so much range and having it nearly off makes it twitchy.

The routing options and matrix are handy on the GB8; I've mixed on a 24ch GB4 and had the same issues with no PAD switch. 

I like the console, but I can't see it being a big upgrade from the A&H you have.  I'd think the money would be better spend on proper loudspeakers.

Just my opinion.

Jeremy Johnston

Mike Spitzer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. I think we'll go with the GB4.

As for upgrades, this is for a new church, so it's not an upgrade. We have to buy all new equipment; it was just a matter of if I bought another GL2400 or the GB4. I can live without the pad, but that's good info to have.

Thanks again.

-mS

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. I think we'll go with the GB4.

As for upgrades, this is for a new church, so it's not an upgrade. We have to buy all new equipment; it was just a matter of if I bought another GL2400 or the GB4. I can live without the pad, but that's good info to have.

Thanks again.

-mS

Mike...

Either use good DI's with pads at the stage (more $$$) or keep a few XLRF>TRS pigtails at the board for use with the line level channel inputs (less $$$).  That will let you tame the hot signals. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Spitzer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »

Mike...

Either use good DI's with pads at the stage (more $$$) or keep a few XLRF>TRS pigtails at the board for use with the line level channel inputs (less $$$).  That will let you tame the hot signals.

I have Whirlwind Directors and Hotboxes. I've never had to use the pads on them before, but they're there if I need them. Definitely good advice, since I've been stuck in that situation before. The last time I used a y-splitter to cut the signal going into the board. Not pretty, but it worked.

-mS

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.