ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Maryland subwoofer shootout results!  (Read 53090 times)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: Maryland subwoofer shootout results!
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »

Ryan Lantzy wrote on Wed, 19 December 2007 18:45

...2000-3000 people, open to the public, BYOB (I think).  Band plays, Fireworks, Band plays some more.

Whaddya think?  As long as it doesn't rain, it could be pretty cool.

Hmm, Johnstown, PA... definitely not when it's raining...
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2007, 08:06:25 AM »

The Growler/mini comparisom is an interesting one.  I also thought the Growlers had more low end when listening to them.

The interesting thing is when you look at the measured responses.  Part of what your ear hears is relationships, not so much absolutes.

Yes the Growlers had a little (1 1/2dB or so) more low freq below 50Hz than the minis did.  But above 55Hz the minis were that much or more louder (up to about 110hz).

But the ratio of the lower response (below 50Hz)to the upper response 50-100hz is greater with the minis, making the growlers seem to a much greater  low freq output than they actually have-in relation to the minis, because of the lower upper bass output.

Is this good or bad-it just depends?  Our ears are falling off in response at this point, so the extra bump may be good-maybe not, it just depends on where you need louder output-above or below 50Hz.

As always when choosing subs, a person has to take into account all the issues including sound quality (with low freq extension), sound quantity (sensitivity and power handling), size, price, fit/finish etc.

Different people need different needs-there is no one size fits all.

That is why events like this that allow people to hear/see a good variety of subs together and in various combinations are useful.

And the only way a person can judge for themselves is to be there. Laughing

Only so much can be gathered by looking at spec sheets (if enough proper data is supplied on it-not just numbers)-the ear is the final judge.

EDIT-clarity
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Rob Spence

« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2007, 09:42:54 AM »

One thing I really liked about this event since I couldn't attend was the photo of all the subs in a row.

That had lots of value in an of itself!!!

At NY, I got to help move all the subs and got a good idea as to how hard they were to move (the four man lifts were a bit over the top).

Anyway, sure was nice to see the sizes. Evan, Tom, Jim and the rest of you, thanks for doing it!
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »

Geez...I spent three years with my last 4 subs.  I finally decided to upgrade from those 4 LS808's to something notably better.  I looked and listened, compared prices, looked at the competition's subs, calculated trailer space, etc.  I thought I did all the homework I needed.  Now you guys have me wondering if my new (to me) 1208's were the right choice or not.

Were the 1208's notably worse, or just not the favorite of the group?  Having read a lot of the older threads they seemed pretty well liked by most  that heard them (for their price range), up until this shootout.  I now question myself and thats not a good feeling two weeks after purchase.  Seems like Evan might be the only one that liked them much.
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2007, 09:57:38 AM »

Are they doing the job for you?  If so, then fine.  Don't worry about it.

Get your moneys worth out of them, THEN look at something new.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Scott Smith

« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2007, 09:59:27 AM »

Stuart Pendleton wrote on Thu, 20 December 2007 09:53

Geez...I spent three years with my last 4 subs.  I finally decided to upgrade from those 4 LS808's to something notably better...Now you guys have me wondering if my new (to me) 1208's were the right choice or not...

Popular subs on this forum may be more like fashion...what's "in" this year may be "out" next year.  Of course people's needs change too.
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »

Stuart,

Those 1208s were on my top 5 list, if they were 72#s lighter I may own some now myself ( Ill bet the Neo drivers help with that figure ). I cant believe that you made a bad decision. Pump some juice through them suckas and make them work for ya!

Mike
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »

They do the job, so not an issue.  It just makes me question my ears.  My customers and I like them so they aren't going anywhere.
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »

Hi Stuart,

Have you had a chance to use the LS1208's on some real gigs yet?  How did they perform?  How do you think they faired vs. the LS808's that you were running?

I wouldn't write the LS1208's off.  I think they offered quite a bit of bang for the buck and wouldn't hesitate to hook them up in a live rig to see what they can do.

There have been negative posts about the LS808's too but it sounds like they have done the trick for you in the past (we've used the LS808's ourselves with some great results).

If they work for you, that's all that matters.  Smile

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2007, 10:14:42 AM »

I got mine used (can't even tell since it was so little) for $1200 a pair.  Bought an iTech 6000 to power them so they get juiced up.  Thanks. Now I don't feel as bad.  Cool

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.