ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Maryland subwoofer shootout results!  (Read 53080 times)

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
Re: Maryland subwoofer shootout results!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 07:50:02 AM »

Aren't those minis CUTE!  Rolling Eyes
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Ivan Beaver

Re: Maryland subwoofer shootout results! The "system"
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 07:52:53 AM »

Here is some info regarding the test/listening setup.

The subs were off of a PL9.0 one channel to drive subs.

The mains were off a Clair/Carver 2.0.  A yorkville TX4 was used most of the time for the full range-it was biamped.

Measurement mic (M30) was on the ground around 1M away-no exact distance as there was no reference in output voltage, just close enough so that the room did not become to big of a factor (which it did have some influence which will be seen).  Yes this is to close for "proper" measurement, and the physically larger cabinet will have an apparent advantage in level due to physical size and distance to the mic.

Jeff Knorr did the Smarrt measurements using Smaart 6, but is having an issue displaying the data, but it is saved and can be opened by others-except me-(got to figure that out) for know.

It was just a quick-let's put a decent voltage level without getting to obnoxious and do comparative measurements.  No compensation was attempted for different impedances, just a constant input voltage.

The listening was done starting in a group of 4 using a wireless switcher (I do not know if the outputs were shorted or no-I will check when I get back to the shop)  and various material was played.  Then by group decision (of those close by) one sub was taken out and replaced by another.  This went on throughout the day with different types of material being played at different times at different levels-kinda free form.

When all of the subs had been gone through, we started bringing back different subs to hear against other subs at will.

During measurement the subs (measured singly and pairs that were available) were by themselves and the others a good distance away (say 20 times the distance to the mic).

When listening- the unused subs were that same distance away.

It was very unscientific, but lots of fun to be able to hear some the subtle (and not so subtle) difference between these.

We did not get stupid loud and see what the subs sounded like when really pushed-which would reveal some interesting aspects, there was nobody really asking for that-but I know Evan would have like it Smile .

Except for the lack of restrooms (Hey the side of the building worked well for all of us-we ain't proud Laughing ), the facility and "catering"-complete with a subshootout cake with flaming sub and a "to scale" drawing of Evan was good.

I think the only thing that went on as scheduled was the day it was held Smile .

Thanks again for hosting this.

For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:48:41 AM »

Maybe I missed it in the reading but I see a Clair ML18 in the picture but no reviews.? Did it fail or just not tested?

Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 09:14:48 AM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Sat, 15 December 2007 19:22

Well, after a day of fun, the results are in!

index.php/fa/13020/0/

Thanks for the reviews guys, I've been looking into upgrading my subs and all of these are right up my alley so this shall certainly help in deciding which set to go with.

One question though... what the hell is with the horn sitting on top of the SLS920?  Laughing
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

The Guy

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

Evan thought the M200 wasn't sufficient, so he decided to add another 2" JBL vintage radial horn for more HF crispness! Laughing

The Guy

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 10:26:26 AM »

Thanks again to all who came out.  Despite having a fever of about 102 for most of the day, I still managed to have a decent time.  I loved hearing all the different stuff, and look forward to getting to play with some of the Danley minis at some point out on a show.

Apologies for the non-hospitable nature of our Warehouse (lack of bathrooms, etc.)  I should've gotten a Porta-John for outside! Razz   Maybe for the next one we will have an actual bathroom installed.

I'll post more findings in a bit, so stay tuned.

-JB

Rob Spence

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 10:56:50 AM »

Thanks for the reviews Matt and Evan.

One thing I find interesting (or humerous) is that you both liked the sound (more or less) of the biggest boxes there Smile

This seems to corrolate with common wisdom about needing lots of subs for lots of sound.

I wonder if a comparison of square feet of frontal area would result in similar sound feel? Perhaps take 2 of the LABs or 2 of the LS1208s for the square feet and match it with the other subs?
Hmmm, how many minis or Growlers to make up that frontal area? What would it do?

Anyway, thanks for doing this. I enjoyed the NYC shootout and understand how hard it is to get non-controversial results in a couple of days let alone one.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 11:47:50 AM »

Douglas R. Allen wrote on Sun, 16 December 2007 08:48

Maybe I missed it in the reading but I see a Clair ML18 in the picture but no reviews.? Did it fail or just not tested?

Douglas R. Allen

After listening to it in the "first round" no one really had an interest to keep it in the mix. They got set off to the side and not really used again throughout the day.

Bob Leonard wrote on Sun, 16 December 2007 04:16

1. What were the DSP settings, and why were they not changed for each sub.

2. What was the input power.

3. Was the amp run stereo or bridged mono.

4. Were all of the subs ever listened to at the same SPL or was it "This is what you get with this much power."

5. Will anyone be posting the street price of these boxes along with the model number AND manufacturers name for those who may be interested.

6. What was the test equipment used to measure the SPL, including the mike type.

7. What was the program material used to run the tests.

Thanks for running the tests!

Bob-
1. DSP settings were pretty simple: HPF @ 90hz, LPF @ 20hz. No EQ, no limiting, just there for a crossover. As Ivan said, we didnt really care enough to fiddle around with the DSP. It was just for listening.

2. Input was an ipod into a Souncraft mixer into the DR480 into the PL9.0 into Ivan's switch into the subs. Very simple.

3. Stereo, just 1 channel

4. "This is what you get with this power."

5. Sure, Ill do it later today.

6. Rat Shack SPL meter at about 4' from the cabs. They used an earthworks mic to measure the cabs earlier in the day though.

7. Whatever we felt like playing. Everyone had ipods, so we played rock, techno, jazz, rap and country and more.

The whole shootout was setup to be just a fun time. Nothing too in depth, just a solid listening test.

index.php/fa/13024/0/

Everyone who came got to hear the subs and we got to have some fun. Thats all that matters. Smile

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 11:52:22 AM »

Evan,

Thanks for hosting and arranging the event as well as sharing your observations.  Having attended the NYC event in Jan. I think things might have been a little different had there been (2) TH-115's and (2) LS1208's.  The TH-115's were among the best at the NYC event (in my opinion) along with the TH-215. I'm sure you guys would have felt that way had there been 2 of the "loners" there.  Regardless I was happy to see the UCS1 and the mini performed well.  The LS1208 is indeed a large animal but as you experienced capable of some serious output (you should hear them in multiples of 4).  

P.S. Ivan...I wish the TH-Mini had a built-in pole mount.  

Glad you guys had fun,

ScottH

Matthew Moser

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »

good job evan, it was a fun day. I'll agree with you on the labs. During the smaart session they sounded comparable to a jumbo jet engine. As my first LAB event, I had a great time.
~Matt
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.