ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Maryland subwoofer shootout results!  (Read 52803 times)

Rob Spence

Re: Maryland subwoofer shootout results!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »

Scott Hibbard wrote on Sun, 16 December 2007 11:52

P.S. Ivan...I wish the TH-Mini had a built-in pole mount.

Hmmm, maybe a bracket that spans a pair of them with a pole mount on it? I suspect a single doesn't have the stability to have a pole mounted top up there.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Steve Hurt

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 12:13:34 PM »

Quote:

index.php/fa/13024/0/
Evan

My wife came in and asked me what I was laughing at.

That cake is awesome!

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »

Hey guys!
I've decided to post what my findings were:

Clair ML18: (pair)

I'm on the same boat as the other people in what I found in the Clair and why we took it out of the mix... I just have numbers for this sub:

SQ: 7
Size V. Output: 7
Overall Output: 7.5
Overall Rating: 7

JTR Growler: (review of a pair)

I found these very impressive for their size! They went lower than I expected and did have some good low punch, especially for the rap and dance... I agree that you may have to dial in more kick with some playing around.  Very smooth sound which really impressed me and I really liked, since I will take good sound over a couple of db any day!  They where fairly efficient with the same power compared to other subs,  In all I was impressed what they did for their size!

SQ:  8.5
Size V. Output: 8
Overall Output: 8.5
Overall Rating: 8.5

TH-Mini: (Pair)

First let me say, if you were to do a blind test of these and crank them for someone for a bit, and then take away the curtain, I think that many people would have a hard time believing that, that sound came from these!  They are tiny!  They can go loud and are fairly smooth sounding.  They have a nice midbass but do lack that low punch... of course because of their size!  They lacked the punch from a kick a little more than the Growlers did... but they definitely held their own for their size!

SQ: 8
Size V. Output: 9.5
Overall Output: 8
Overall Rating: 8.25

Yorkville USC1: (a pair)

I was more impressed with these than I thought I would be, since I haven't heard tons and tons of praise form people.  They do have very nice punch to them when you put some nice kick drum through them.  They could get loud and 2 of them did well against 1 LS1208!  I thought they put out what they should for their size.  But did kinda sound like they would just run out of gas!

Size V. Output: 6.5
Overall Output: 7.5
Overall Rating: 7.25

TH-115: (single)

I was excited to hear this one... I think it did live up to my expectations... but not $2100 worth! (I agree with Evan on that point!)  I would have been nice to hear them as a pair but Ivan said it would just get louder because of the tapped horn.  Did have nice smooth punch to it but it almost sounded strained.  I don't no if something way slightly off... There was a weird noise from inside that we couldn't figure out where it was coming from... but in all it is a Danley product so it definitely was some presence to it!

SQ: 9
Overall Rating: 8.5

Yorkville LS1208: (single)

This sub definitely made its presence known right when you fired it up!  Very efficient when given the same power that the other were getting, for being only 1!  It had a lot of punch... but the only thing that annoyed me was the midbassy boomy sound.  It was not as punchy as the TH-115 though... it did get low though, it seemed to be in the top 2 of the bunch in regards to how low it got! Big!!

SQ: 7.5
Size V. Output: 6
Overall Output: 9

Labsub: (pair)
I don't think I have to repeat what has already been said!  It is crazy loud as single and just runs away when in a pair! Crazy Efficient and got low!  But it is huge, compared to what I could handle!  It had lots of impact and the sound quality was good... but not as smooth as the Growlers or 115s which is a bit of a minus for me...

Size V. Output: 5
Overall Output: 9.5
Overall Rating: 8

Peavey QW218: (Pair)

Definitely got low... and did have a good amount of impact... not  as smooth sounding as the Growlers... 1 QW218 seemed to have just about the same amount of impact as 2 Growlers.

SQ: 8.5
Overall Rating: 8

Turbo21: (Pair)

These didn't really suit me to much... it had a slight bit of a boomy sound... although not as much as the 1208.  It got low but lacked that punch that I like!  They are comparable to 2 QW218s

SQ: 7
Overall Output: 7

In all this was a great experience! Thanks Evan and Jim for setting this up!  It was great meeting everyone and I would love to meet up again!  I learned a lot!

And as I heard a couple people say..."You wouldn't be disappointed taking any of the subs home that we showcased today!"

Take Care and Thanks!
Phil Lewandowski!
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Brandon G Romanowski

• http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »

You guys did not even set the DSP for each sub. I know my line arrays would suck without the correct DSP. I really think thats kind of lame guys.
Brandon G. Romanowski
Indigo Concert Audio Dept.
http://indigoproductions.net/indigo_concert_audio_dept.htm

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 01:17:46 PM »

Rob - that's a good idea esp. for larger mains.  I would think however the TH-MINI could easily support a smaller active cab without any issues (i.e. something under 50 pounds)

Hope you are well Rob,
ScottH

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 01:42:19 PM »

Steve Hurt wrote on Sun, 16 December 2007 12:13

My wife came in and asked me what I was laughing at.

That cake is awesome!

My cake decorating skills are almost as good as my TRX-122 modification skills. I think my TReX-122 wedge took the prize on the unofficial wedge shootout. Laughing

P.S. As a side note I used that wedge for a bar band I work with that night. No Complaints! It might sound better when I order the DE200 or BMS HF for it.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 01:46:39 PM »

brandon g. romanowski wrote on Sun, 16 December 2007 13:00

You guys did not even set the DSP for each sub. I know my line arrays would suck without the correct DSP. I really think thats kind of lame guys.

Apples to oranges man.

Show me processor settings for these subs, oh wait, their arent any! Rolling Eyes

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 02:12:08 PM »

It didn't hit me untill I saw it in Evans' photo, but that might be one of my old ones.  I had a good pile of them that I used back when I had rental company in that area (NO VA-MD DC) back in the 80's.  I had painted all of them white-I wish I had taken a closer look at the paint job Laughing
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 02:20:47 PM »

Rob Spence wrote on Sun, 16 December 2007 12:11

Scott Hibbard wrote on Sun, 16 December 2007 11:52

P.S. Ivan...I wish the TH-Mini had a built-in pole mount.

Hmmm, maybe a bracket that spans a pair of them with a pole mount on it? I suspect a single doesn't have the stability to have a pole mounted top up there.

That is precisely why the mini doesn't have a ple mount.  If you put a small cabinet on it, no problem, but if you put a heavier cabinet on it, it could easily fall over if hit-opening up liability issues.  It was greatly debated.

You can also put one on yourself (you can buy just the pole cup), but if you want to go that route-contact Danley to find out where you can put it-don't just cut a hole-you might hit something Shocked .
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Ivan Beaver

Re: Maryland subwoofer shootout results!TH115 Buzz
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »

I wasn't aware of the "weird sound" out of the TH115 early on-you had to get up close to it to hear it.

Later we found out what it was.  the screws holding the grill on have plastic washers under them.  The screw had become ever so slightly loose on one fo them and the washer was buzzing around.  A turn of the screw driver fixed it. Smile

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.