ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Beta 91-A for Grand Piano  (Read 10318 times)

Ricky Berlin

Shure Beta 91-A for Grand Piano
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »

I have a rider requesting to mic our grand piano with a PZM.  The only one I currently have in my inventory is the Shure Beta 91-A.  I know it can be used as a piano mic, but I am unsure where and how I should mount it.  I would also welcome a few alternatives to rent/purchase if it turns out I don't like the sound.

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
Re: Shure Beta 91-A for Grand Piano
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

It can be made to work - only thing to consider is it's supercardioid, so might not work so well if any distance from the strings. Mounting-wise, under the lid - again you might run into issues securing it.

A couple of AKGC414s or AT4050s or (insert nice condenser mic here) across the strings will yield good results either way.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »

I have a rider requesting to mic our grand piano with a PZM.  The only one I currently have in my inventory is the Shure Beta 91-A.  I know it can be used as a piano mic, but I am unsure where and how I should mount it.  I would also welcome a few alternatives to rent/purchase if it turns out I don't like the sound.

The typical request for under-lid mounting are the PCC-160, but if you can find PZM-30D, they will work, too, and be a little less fussy about placement.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »

No one here can OK a rider substitution for you, only the people asking for the particular mic can OK a substitution. The Beta 91a is not a PZM, nor is it super-cardioid. It is a half cardioid pattern because the other half of the pattern is behind the mounting board. A PZM is a half omni. A Crown PCC160 is also not a PZM, like the Beta 91a it is a boundary mounted cardioid mic. Being cardioid they both have proximity effect, where a PZM does not. I would prefer a real PZM to either a PCC or Beta91.

Mac
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:09:28 PM by Mac Kerr »

Ricky Berlin

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:19:45 PM »

No one here can OK a rider substitution for you, only the people asking for the particular mic can OK a substitution. The Beta 91a is not a PZM, nor is it super-cardioid. It is a half cardioid pattern because the other half of the pattern is behind the mounting board. A PZM is a half omni. A Crown PCC160 is also not a PZM, like the Beta 91a it is a boundary mounted cardioid mic. Being cardioid they both have proximity effect, where a PZM does not. I would prefer a real PZM to either a PCC or Beta91.

Mac

I'm not asking for your permission to substitute, just options I might be able to substitute with.  I may not have your experience, but I'm not a total nub  :D  I normally use a pair of 451s mounted over the strings panned left and right which works excellent at full stick.  I'm just looking at other options to improve my craft and keep the clients happy.  Thanks for your explanation of boundary mics.  I hear a lot of people using PCC and PZM interchangeably and I haven't been able to explain the difference very well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:19:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.