ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer dmx controller  (Read 3271 times)

Bob Cap

• http://parallel.tzo.com/AdvancedAudio
Behringer dmx controller
« on: November 30, 2007, 07:19:51 AM »

Hey guys,

A friend of mine asked me last night what I thought of the Benringer LC2412. Since I have not had the opportunity to play with one I told him I would post it up here and see who has some experience with this piece of gear.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Owen Davis

Re: Behringer dmx controller
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »

Ah, yes, the evil little LC2412.  What to do about this thing?

First off, realize that this IS a Behringer product, and it does come with all the bad sides you've come to expect - lack of dependability, buggy problems, not the greatest tech support, and purchasing from a company with somewhat questionable business tactics.

That said, there are some significant benefits.  Of course this thing is inexpensive, and can be found dirt cheap used.  In fact, you would realistically have to spend at least 3 or 4 times more to get anywhere near the same features and flexibility.  This thing has WAY more DMX channels, chases, scene memories, and extras than anything in it's price class (or even twice it's cost).  

Some of the specific pluses and minuses:
- BAD, there is a software quirk wherein with many intel lights (such as LED pars) while using memories, some or all of the lights don't blackout completely.  This also occurs with certain dimmer packs.  This makes using single memories essentially useless.  This problem does not show up when using chases though.
- BAD, although some folks do it, this board is really not any good if you are using movers, scanners, and such
- BAD, Programming scenes on many (most?) units is doubled up process.  It only records the settings of either the upper or lower banks at a time.  You must do one half of the scene, then do the second - PITA and a time waster.
- GOOD, I love that this machine utilizes all 512 channels of DMX, and that you can soft-assign them to fader channels.  This comes in very handy and maximizes the use of the "24" channels.  Example: a Colorsplash 96 uses 7 DMX channels; with the LC2412 you can effectively program it so that you are only using up 3, thereby freeing up more for other uses.  
- GOOD, this thing is much more Midi friendly than other sub $500 boards.  You have more access to more parameters, so that makes it a good choice for someone who controls it via a footboard or sequencing.
- GOOD, the large amount of available chases is a big plus.  Other sub-$500 boards tend to have as little as 6 chases, which is just a joke.  You can easily have dozens of chases on the Behringer.

So again, what to do?

I would suggest that for most folks, they would be much better off saving their pennies (a LOT of pennies) and buying something else.  For the money though, the LC2412 has it's place.  If you run only PARcans/pinspots/strobes and maybe a couple of LEDPars (absolutely no movers/scanners) than it could work for you.  

As far as dependability goes (a significant factor), if you bought them used, you could literally by a second unit and keep it for backup, and you would STILL spend less than you would if you bought a better unit that had the same features.  

So, if you can at all afford better, do so.  Avoid the LC2412 if you can.  But if your needs are basic, and money is super tight, then go ahead.  Just plan on wanting/needing something better in the future, and think of the LC2412 as a stepping stone, not a solution.

Dreich McCulloch

• http://www.livesoundengineering.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »

Everything Bob says... mine also refuses to completely dim pars occasionally but I think there's a eprom fix for this from their web-site (if you can flash your own 'proms that is)...

However: as a sound guy with a 'few lights' it's always in the van so must be of some use (at least with the pars: forget movers)...

AND:

It's the cheapest Midi control surface I've found for use with a laptop and DMX dongle, which is what it's used for now, almost nightly. God knows how but the Midi Out has been absolutly trouble free from day one and has added a whole new tactile dimension to my in-house DMX contol software. If I lost it I would actually buy another for this use alone...

Iain

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:01:37 PM »

So here's another question: what do you all think of the Behringer dimmer pack? I figure if we're going to talk cheap lighting control, we might as well talk about the whole package...

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Owen Davis

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:52:07 AM »

I'm definately NOT a fan of B-company dimmer packs.

For a cheapie that IS a good deal, you can find some "no-name" packs on Ebay selling for $65 (I believe the seller is Bulb America).  They come actually branded "Optima" even though the listing says nothing about this.  I've run a few of these and the truth is they've worked better than any Chauvet, American DJ, or other branded dimmers.  The only issue I've ever had is one of them had a tiny screw (that anchors one of the XLR jacks) strip out - quick simple cost free fix and no problems after that.  These packs also have digital addressing, rather than dipswitches, which is nice.

Yes, they're cheapie Chinese imports, and there would likely be no useful tech support if you ever needed it, but they work just fine.  As always, if you can afford better, do so. But if you are eating Ramen noodles for two weeks straight just so you can save up and buy a new dimmer pack, well then you might want to check these out.  They get the job done just fine.

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:09:13 PM »

Thanks Owen. I will check those out...

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Eric Hassler

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:11:09 PM »

I know a guy that is running many of the Optima dimmers with out any problems.  I actually just purchased four of them, but haven't had a chance to install them.

FYI- BulbAmerica's shipping rates can be pretty inflated.  I ended up ordering mine through Amazon (but still sold by BulbAmerica) and saved quite a bit.  link: http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Lighting-Channel-Double-Output/ dp/B000I2MK7G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1196651410 &sr=8-8

mark anderson

• http://www.monroecrossing.com
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 06:46:26 PM »

I've been using the Eliminator dimmers. I think the model is an ED15. It's a clear knock off of better dimmers but they don't buzz and they always work. They were about $65  each for 15a dimmer packs. We just bring a couple of pars up and down so for a controller we're using an MBT SCX101. It's a simple, inexpensive 17 channel, 16  scene foot controller. Very handy as we do it all from stage and it's been very sturdy.

Hi Bob.
Those who willfully refuse to learn from history condemn the rest of us to repeating it.

My band: http://www.monroecrossing.com
My forum: http://www.BluegrassForum.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.