ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Truss pick  (Read 3510 times)

Dan Glass

Truss pick
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:53:35 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with the "Truss Pick" made by The Light Source.  I was looking at it for potential use with a double hung Pre-Rig in a semi permanent setup.  I can see that it doesn't give any support/lift to the lower half of the truss like a traditional Spanset would.  The reason I am looking at them is to add a few more feet to the raised "stored" height the truss can go.  Because I am using a Pre-Rig truss I cannot invert the spanset and put the point inside the truss and thus block the movement of the pars.  So I was just browsing the internet (avoiding Christmas shopping) and found the Truss Pick. I would love to hear your opinions and ideas.
Dan Glass

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
Re: Truss pick
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:15:54 AM »

Used them once, but not near what you're doing.  Truss I had was 12" with about 12 S4 and 4 small movers.  Total weight was less than half ton.  They were easy to work with.  I would check with your truss mfg. for further info on stressing the truss.

Dan Glass

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »

Currently I have 17 sections of Pre-Rig hung in a straight line from 4 CM 1 ton motors.  Sorry I should have included that info in the original post.
Dan Glass

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:36:18 AM »

I consider it a had and fast rule that truss is wrapped so that every chord is supported. Spaneset is wrapped so that the weight tension pulls the wrap *in* like a noose. The idea is to keep the truss and it's welds under tension at the rigging point.

I really don't like the idea of hanging the entire truss from a few welds at the end.

Check with your truss manufacturer.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:34:41 PM »

E. Lee Dickinson wrote on Sun, 25 November 2007 15:36

I consider it a had and fast rule that truss is wrapped so that every chord is supported. Spaneset is wrapped so that the weight tension pulls the wrap *in* like a noose. The idea is to keep the truss and it's welds under tension at the rigging point.

I really don't like the idea of hanging the entire truss from a few welds at the end.

Check with your truss manufacturer.

Hi Lee;

Are you suggesting "welds under tension" or welds in compression?

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:20:27 PM »

Ron, you're right, I wrote that backwards. Wrapping the truss properly keeps the welds under compression.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.