ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation DMX Operator Pro Question  (Read 13181 times)

Aaron McQueen

Elation DMX Operator Pro Question
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »

I have 8 LED Par64 Lights running of an Elation DMX Operator Pro.  Each fixture uses 5 DMX channels.  I have all the fixtures working and I've programmed a few scenes and chases.  Is it possible to fade between 2 scenes manually, or possibly assign a scene to a fader?  This seems like a natural think to do, but I can't figure out how to do it on the operator pro.  Is this board junk and if so what do you recommend for 8 LED fixtures and future expansion to include more intelligent fixtures?

Aaron McQueen

Re: Elation DMX Operator Pro Question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »

bump. Anyone?

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:46:30 PM »

I'll bite - but only because I feel like helping you out this morning Smile

A quick perusal of the manual shows that this is a DJ console and the features you are looking for just aren't there.

More importantly features that I would consider _crucial_ to the successful use of moving lights, especially in the church, are missing altogether.

You have obviously found how to use scenes and hot punch between them - that is about as good as it gets on this board.

You have a few choices I think. Now remember these are more serious options but are really the controllers you need to be looking at for things like intelligent cue based playback and true sub-master support.

If you want great cueing ability and good "theater" features without need for mover capabilities over 2 or 3 fixtures take a look at the ETC Express line

If you didn't need as good of cueing but want better moving / automated support take a look at the ETC SmartFade ML or possibly the Zero88 JesterML.

If you want cueing and movers, but plan on having as many as 7 or 8 movers then you will need some better effect generators for movers and I would take a look at the Zero88 Illusion or maybe a software and wing Jands Vista solution.

If you plan on ever having a "larger" (more than 20 LEDs, 8 movers, etc) light rig where things such as color pickers and great effects engines start to come into play I really like the Jands Vista line of controllers for the ease of programing, although there are many competent top shelf controllers.

Personally I would take a look at my needs and then decide If over the next 5 years I would be adding a little lighting, some lighting, or a lot of lighting. From there I would probably look at the Zero88 JesterML and Illusion for the small or medium growth expectancy areas. If I thought we might add a medium or large amount I would probably take a look at the Jands Vista Software on a mac mini with an S3 wing or even full blown Jands Vista T2 depending on the growth projection.

That is just me of course Smile

Hope this helps,
Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »

In addition to those that Karl suggested, take a long look at the ADJ/Elation Showdesigner series. They are very cost-effective and very powerful.

The under-$500 controllers are all pretty much useless for intelligent fixtures.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »

The SHow Designer 1 is to much of the same for him to really look at the 2 has most of the features he would be looking for but he would really need to be at the 3 to get all the different playback types he really wants. By that time we are at a price bracket where we can look at ETC, Zero88, etc and they would arguably be a better investment.

Thats just my take however.

Karl P

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »

Quote:

I'll bite - but only because I feel like helping you out this morning

Thanks Smile

Quote:

A quick perusal of the manual shows that this is a DJ console and the features you are looking for just aren't there.

More importantly features that I would consider _crucial_ to the successful use of moving lights, especially in the church, are missing altogether.

You have obviously found how to use scenes and hot punch between them - that is about as good as it gets on this board.

That's what I thought.  I got the board real cheap used, and thought it may work, but if it doesn't I'll get something that does.

Let me give a little more specific information about the situation and exactly what I'm trying to do.  I'm fairly new to lighting.  Our sanctuary is small, 200 max.  We recently did a renovation, and I was able to get a few upgrades in as far as sound and lights.  We didn't have any stage lighting at all before.  It's an old building and power is problem.  My goal was to just get some front stage wash.  I think I accomplished that.  We put in 10 lights.  6 Color LED Par64's and 4 ADJ White LED Par64's.  The setup takes less then 300W and is cool as ice on the small stage. It is doing exactly what I wanted as far as output.  I'll take some pictures tonight.

The problem is mostly because of the ceiling.  It's 17' in the middle and 8' on the side.  It's even less on the 2' high stage.  Lights have to be centrally located.  But so does the sound and the video.  Once you go off to the right of the left you start to  get people interference.

The flexibility of the LED's let us change color if we want.  The expansion for moving lights (probably just a couple of scanners, nothing too fancy) will be for youth events.  Next year we are planning quite a few.  I guess there will be only 4 moving lights (probably scanners).  The room just isn't big enough to support much more, I don't think.  We are looking at moving to a new building in the next 3 years.  All lighting and sound will be redone at that point.

I know I get what I pay for, but with the current setup I can't see spending $3K on a lighting console.  It just doesn't make sense to put that next to a Yamaha MG32.  So at least, I would like to be able to set up a scene and assign that to a fader.  Are there any other options in the sub $1K range?  I'm thinking software may be where I'm headed.

Phil LaDue

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Tue, 27 November 2007 16:19

I know I get what I pay for, but with the current setup I can't see spending $3K on a lighting console.  It just doesn't make sense to put that next to a Yamaha MG32.

If you buy a good desk now you can take it with you to the new space.
As long as you stick to some basic parameters a lighting desk can last you for 10+ years before it becomes obsolete.
Unfortunately not so for some audio purchases.
Much better ROI in my experience.

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »

Here are some pictures of the room and the setup.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.laurelfirstassembly.org/media/light1.jpg
http://www.laurelfirstassembly.org/media/light2.jpg

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 11:57:08 PM »

I have a lot clearer picture now Smile

So maybe some of my recommendations were a bit large eh? Wink

I would seriously look for a used ETC Express 24/48 or maybe a 125  as it would give you what you needed in a well understood and very straight forward package.

At 16 to 17 hundred bucks you should be able to look at a Lightronics TL-2448
http://www.lightronics.com/tl_consoles.html as well.

A used Hog 500 or 250 at a bargain basement price could possibly work.

One last option to consider would be a new Smartfade 2496

I think you would be most happy with a used express.

Unless its something like the Hog or Jands with external wings I would beg you to stay away from software.

Karl P

Tony Martin

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »

Aaron: I have the Operator Pro as well as the Operator 192. Both have a fader on them which is labelled simply "FADE".
Bring this up a bit, then change scene in the normal way.
What the fader does is adjust the fade time from 1 scene to the next. You can stretch this fade time out as long as 30 seconds, which is kinda neat because the audience does not even realize there is a scene change happening, but it can be very effective in changing the mood without notice.
I use these boards for live production of bands, and truth to tell, they're great bang for the buck. You just have to approach them a bit differently than you would one of the high-end consoles.
Owning an expensive hammer does not make you a carpenter
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.