ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation DMX Operator Pro Question  (Read 13183 times)

Aaron McQueen

Re: Elation DMX Operator Pro Question
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 01:41:56 PM »

Thanks Tony, I'll give that a shot.  I couldn't find that in the manual.

Tony Martin

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »

Well, Aaron, it appears I may have been mistaken.
By way of explanation, I've had the Operator 192 for a few months, and this function works well on that little board.
The Operator Pro is something my partner just picked up last week.
Today (after I posted that last message) is the first time I've tried that function on the Op-Pro, and it does not seem to be working.
I am at this moment working on it. I'll post any results here for you.
Owning an expensive hammer does not make you a carpenter

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »

Aaron, I'm going to program a Magic 260 tomorrow for a customer; this is not one of favorite controllers for movers and "on-the-fly" light control, but it does have some features that may suit your purposes. I'm not certain about the fade function (don't need this much for most of my clients), but it does have a master fader that actually functions properly if the fixtures are set up properly.

I'll play with the fade control to see if it actually works the way you need, and post something in the next few days. The price point on this one is in your range at least.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »

Tony Martin wrote on Mon, 03 December 2007 14:18

Well, Aaron, it appears I may have been mistaken.
By way of explanation, I've had the Operator 192 for a few months, and this function works well on that little board.
The Operator Pro is something my partner just picked up last week.
Today (after I posted that last message) is the first time I've tried that function on the Op-Pro, and it does not seem to be working.
I am at this moment working on it. I'll post any results here for you.

Tony, I posted over at the Elation forum and this is the response I got.  Not exactly manual control but closer.  I think it might take some practice to get this to work.  This is basically a copy from the manual.

Quote:

Yes… but he has to create a show first then follow the instructions below.

Select the “SHOW” button that you wish to playback. The selected Show or Shows

will begin to run immediately including the originally set speed and fade times.

However, the selected Show speed and fade times can manually be adjusted on the

fly by simultaneously pressing the “SHOW” # button followed by the

“STEP/MIX/SEQ” button. A rapidly flashing Show LED indicates that you can

manually override the preset speed and fade times by adjusting the “SPEED” and

“FADE” faders- the “TAP SYNC” function will also be enabled (see Tap Sync on

Pg-6) . A slow flashing Show LED indicates that the Show is running at its

preprogrammed speed and fade times. Adjusting the Speed and Fade fader at this

time, will have no effect. You can also manually trigger Show steps by tapping on the “STEP/MIX/SEQ” when desired.

Terry Martin

• http://www.SixtyFourEast.com
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 04:02:10 PM »

I use the Operator Pro, and for the longest time - I thought I had a learning disability (and maybe that's still partially true)! Rolling Eyes

The dimmer section of this controller is pretty straightforward, and works quite well - although limited to 8 channels.  I'm just now beginning to outgrow it, although that is purely a financial issue.

The intelligent section of this controller is very difficult to work with.  I've got four Hulk 150 moving heads, two Intimidator scanners.  It is very difficult to program these fixtures to do anything unique.  I can see now that some of the higher end consoles have built in macros/programs to make the lights do some pattern.  

What is the next step (up) in controller capability - is it the Show Designer 2?  I'm interested - even toying with the software applications - but worried about my laptop staying alive.  No plan to buy another laptop - might as well buy a new lighting controller.

I dont' mean to hijack this thread, but I think it's on topic???

Is there a recommend hierarchy of controllers from the ground up?

Thanks,
Terry
Martin Performance Enterprises, LLC
Live Audio, Lighting - Rentals, Sales, Installs
Henderson, KY
--------------------

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 04:22:11 PM »

Terry Martin wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 16:02

What is the next step (up) in controller capability - is it the Show Designer 2?  I'm interested - even toying with the software applications - but worried about my laptop staying alive.  No plan to buy another laptop - might as well buy a new lighting controller.

I'm interested as well.  I respect Karl's advice but I don't think going from an Operator Pro ($300) to the ETC Express ($3000) makes much sense.  There has to be something in between that works well.  I'm concerned with the software route too.  What happens if the computer crashes midshow, and the lights go crazy.  Not that bad in a club or bar, but in a church service, I'm in trouble.

Duane Massey

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 06:07:23 PM »

Terry, I'd take a serious look at the Showdesigner 1 for your purposes. It's under $1k, has some preprogrammed patterns (not very exciting, but they exist), and has tons of memory. Unless you're looking at using a large number of fixtures, or a handful of really big fixtures, the SD 2 might be a bit of overkill.

If you approach programming correctly, pre-programmed movements are not very important; available memory and actual hardware controls are much more critical (IMHO).
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Duane Massey

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 06:11:16 PM »

Aaron, I was going to give you an update on the functions of the Magic 260, but I ran into a classic case of "DYI" cand really be a bad idea. The client did his own install, including making his own cables. I spent the entire session chasing down bad cables instead of programming, so now we've rescheduled the programming for next week. His final bill is going to be a bit more than he was planning on, but, hey, he wanted to save money on the cables.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Terry Martin

• http://www.SixtyFourEast.com
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 06:49:16 PM »

I made add 4 to 6 (more) intells to my setup over the new couple of years, but I doubt anything more elaborate than that.

So with the SD1, I can still control dimmers and my intells?

Thanks for the info.

Terry

Duane Massey wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 18:07

Terry, I'd take a serious look at the Showdesigner 1 for your purposes. It's under $1k, has some preprogrammed patterns (not very exciting, but they exist), and has tons of memory. Unless you're looking at using a large number of fixtures, or a handful of really big fixtures, the SD 2 might be a bit of overkill.

If you approach programming correctly, pre-programmed movements are not very important; available memory and actual hardware controls are much more critical (IMHO).

Martin Performance Enterprises, LLC
Live Audio, Lighting - Rentals, Sales, Installs
Henderson, KY
--------------------

Duane Massey

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »

Terry, the answer is "yes, but...";

You have 8 sliders, so live control of dimmers would be limited to 8 channels at a time; you can assign one "Fixture" to be a 32-channel dimmer, and step thru 4 banks of 8 channels. This would be a challenge if you either need simultaneous access to a bunch of dimmer channels for live control, but is no problem at all if you're pre-programming scenes for playback.

The other function that some band LD's just can't live without are "Flash" buttons. No luck here, but if you're moving towards intelligents, "Flash" buttons become much less important.

Like any controller under $ 5K, the Showdesigner series are not perfect for all applications, but they are very powerful controllers if you learn what they can do and adapt.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.