ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED patch question  (Read 1496 times)

ed sciulli

LED patch question
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »

I have experienced a "quirk" when patching and running LED fixtures and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or can tell me what I am doing wrong.

In using both a Leprecon and Etc console (so I can eliminate board weirdness, I think), when running separate fixtures on separate channels for individual control - the first channel for the second fixture ends up over-riding the control channel of the first, causing it to strobe.

Here is the patching:

Unit#1          Unit #2
401 = RED       405 = RED
402 = GREEN     406 = GREEN
403 = BLUE      407 = BLUE
404 = CONTROL   408 = CONTROL

And so on for six more fixtures, Weidamark strips. In this case, the "dimmer" and "channel" numbers matched - in a one-to-one patch, but I also have experienced the same thing in a non one-to-one scenario. So when push up the red channel for unit 2, it causes the first unit to strobe.

I was able to beat it by placing a spacer channel in the patch, so its not a big deal - just wondering what I am missing.

The DMX is not terminated (these fixtures are also built for outdoor use and have a specialized watertight connector that I haven't lopped off yet to add a terminator). I have experienced the same "quirk" with other lights that were terminated - so unless my terminator was bad - I don't think that's it.

Any thoughts for LED newbie?

ed

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
Re: LED patch question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »

I suspect that one of the following is possible:

1: The fixtures have different DMX modes, and they are currently set in a 5-chan mode, where ch5 is a strobe control; hook up just the first fixture, and see if the 5th ch still affects the same way.

2: the fixtures are different than the description in the manual; I've come across this before with several different brands of fixtures; ie: a change was made in the DIP switch setting, but the manual doesn't reflect this.

I doubt the terminator is a problem.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

ed sciulli

Re: LED patch question
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »

thanks.

these particular fixtures don't have dip switches. dmx address is assigned via an infrared remote.

the only manual that i received or can find online is how to use the remote - so i don't have much info on the units. when i was first patching - i called tech support and was told that they were 4-channel, but the 5-channel set up makes sense.

overall though, i really like the color i get from the units, real thick and juicy.

thanks for the info.

ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.