ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delay questions, combo DJ/band setup  (Read 1492 times)

Scott MacAuley

• http://www.screamersusa.com
Delay questions, combo DJ/band setup
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:57:45 am »

Greetings.

I am helping redo a friends club that is in heavy competition with 14 others. We have been doing well despite the lack of funding vs the deep pockets of a few of the others.
 The old setup utilized 4 flown cabinets around the dance floor,
with some scoops clustered together in front of the DJ booth.
For bands either my rental system or whatever band's system was brought in. With my system I would tie into the dj with a delay
to back fill the room.

Added: The club consists of two store fronts opened up. The main dance area is about 24 feet wide and 60 feet long with a stage at one end adding 12 feet. The DJ booth is 3 feet off the ground at the other end. There is a big HF loss about center of the room from any stage placed system to just past the dj booth where it sounds great again. The bar which was acting as a bass trap was moved from the center to the front opening up the wall
between the two storefronts. If you are mixing from the DJ booth
there is no hf loss up there.

The new (used) DJ setup will have 4 cabinets in the latter part of the room firing down on the walls into the dance floor from the sides, and multiple horn loaded boxes flown
firing from the stage across from the dj with 8 18" across the front of the stage. The system will be used for bands as well.
I want to delay the 2 sets in the latter part of the room for the band reenforcement however I wonder how bad a problem I will have with down firing vs forward facing delayed cabinets.
Do I need to change to all forward facing down firing boxes to make this work? I am donating whatever I have available that is in my retired pile. We start flying boxes monday.

I have a white digital crossover, and some symetrix delays to work with. Would it better to not delay the dj at all, and use delays only for the band? This would require a double signal path but only in the rack.
Lastly, would a Symetrix AGC/Leveler work as a last ditch protection device before the crossovers against the DJ's who don't think it sounds good enough till everything is running red.
I have compressors in line but they still manage to blow stuff occasionally. Usually subs. I've never used one of those and I was thinking of using it originally for just the DJ so everything sounds like it's at the same level, AKA radio station.
Screamers Audio Services
www.screamersusa.com

Scott MacAuley

• http://www.screamersusa.com
Re: Delay questions, combo DJ/band setup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 03:42:06 am »

Interesting responses. Confused

In case anyone's interested, Through trial and error with speaker poles and some jury rigging I found it best to go the following way:

DJ through the main stage pa and subs, also feeding 4 down firing cabs firing into the room with no delay.
Band sound feeds the main stage PA and splits off to two forward facing delayed cabs about room center. The 4 down and center firing DJ cabs are off while the bands are on, automatically without operator intervention.

Does anyone remember how Richard Long set up Palladuim?

Cheers.  
Screamers Audio Services
www.screamersusa.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 19 queries.