Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

New MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt?

<< < (2/2)

Cameron Stuckey:
I'm waiting for Intel to release the specs for this IO, something that I can sink my teeth into. While Apple is calling it 'Thunderbolt' it is Intel's standard formally called Light Peak, and has been around for a few months in quiet press releases, and the reason Intel didn't support USB 3.0.

I am amazed that they are able to surpass Fiber bandwidth with copper, but I still have a lot to learn.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Cameron Stuckey on February 25, 2011, 03:31:24 PM ---I'm waiting for Intel to release the specs for this IO, something that I can sink my teeth into. While Apple is calling it 'Thunderbolt' it is Intel's standard formally called Light Peak, and has been around for a few months in quiet press releases, and the reason Intel didn't support USB 3.0.

I am amazed that they are able to surpass Fiber bandwidth with copper, but I still have a lot to learn.

--- End quote ---

Apple is calling it Thunderbolt, just like Intel is. Yes, the code name during development was Light Peak. Just as with USB1, Apple is installing it before there are really any peripherals available, but USB worked out OK. I think in both cases Apple had the early release because they worked with Intel on the development.

The high bandwidth over copper is probably due to the limit on transmission length. It is only good to about 10'. I assume when fiber becomes available the length will grow a bit, but they are still talking about something like 30' so far.

Judging by the quotes on the Intel page the audio and video manufacturers are going to embrace this interface. With Avid, Apogee, and AJA onboard there is a big boost in the audio and video production areas.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on February 25, 2011, 03:54:20 PM ---Judging by the quotes on the Intel page the audio and video manufacturers are going to embrace this interface. With Avid, Apogee, and AJA onboard there is a big boost in the audio and video production areas.
--- End quote ---

Does this mean that AVB is dead?

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on February 25, 2011, 03:54:20 PM ---Judging by the quotes on the Intel page the audio and video manufacturers are going to embrace this interface. With Avid, Apogee, and AJA onboard there is a big boost in the audio and video production areas.

Mac

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on February 25, 2011, 04:30:55 PM ---Does this mean that AVB is dead?

--- End quote ---

Thunderbolt isn't about wide area networking, it is more a replacement for USB3 and Firewire. Because of that it will probably become popular in post production studios, ProTools rigs (if Avid adds it to the hardware) and edit suites. I don't see it replacing a multichannel audio distribution system. You can get a lot of audio channels on a 1GB Ethernet circuit, not so much with HD video alongside.

LaCie has already released a drive, others are sure to follow. When/If AJA adds it to their video hardware, and Avid adds it to their video and audio hardware, it will have a good chance to become a production standard.

It is not going support long cable runs in the foreseeable future though.

Mac

Jasen Jacobsen:
Here's a couple of YouTube videos showing an AVID box using TB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0GrdgK2h8&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5TjnR5Z-c&feature=relmfu

I imagine the AVID Venue desks will be getting Thunderbolt connections to ProTools.

- Jasen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version