Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

New MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt?

(1/2) > >>

TonyWilliams:
I saw that Apple released a new version of the Macbook Pro, and what caught my eye is a new connector called Thunderbolt. It is apparently 10Gbps in both directions and 12 times faster than Firewire 800. I could see this being a useful connection for pro audio with multitrack recording and such. Hopefully it is not vaporware. Thoughts?

http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: TonyWilliams on February 24, 2011, 02:20:19 PM ---I saw that Apple released a new version of the Macbook Pro, and what caught my eye is a new connector called Thunderbolt. It is apparently 10Gbps in both directions and 12 times faster than Firewire 800. I could see this being a useful connection for pro audio with multitrack recording and such. Hopefully it is not vaporware. Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

As an interface on those computers it is not vaporware, but since there are no peripherals that use it yet it is vaporware in the practical sense. It is likely to become widely used because of its speed, and being part of the Intel chipset, but we are at the bleeding edge right now. It is also 2 channels of bidirectional 10GB.

I have always bought new technology the day it was released, and been pissed when 30 days later the price goes down, or features are added. I'm waiting 30 days, then pulling the trigger on the higher end 15".

Mac

Greg_Cameron:
Just ordered two 17" top o' the line MBPs for work today with the bumped up processor speed, extra RAM, and the SSD. The new 10Gb interface will be useful for what we do. That combined with the Express slot will make it possible to edit/output uncompressed HD video in the field from a very compact package. Cool stuff.

Greg

Gareth Marsh:
Dammit, I brought my new Macbook Pro about 3 months ago feeling pretty sure that USB 3.0 wasn't going anywhere fast. I didn't imagine that a real fast standard would come in this soon.

Not that any time is a good time to buy a future-proof computer....

Gareth

Jasen Jacobsen:
A better link from Intel.
http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thunderbolt/index.htm

Scroll down to the bottom where they have cheery quotes from Apogee, AVID, and Universal Audio.

- Jasen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version