ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Mixer  (Read 7427 times)

Sean Hayes

Video Mixer
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:32:58 PM »

Hey All,

I am looking to expand my business into the video world. I want to start with a small three camera system with two projectors onto screens. I am looking for some suggestions on some sort of way of mixing the video feeds together. I want it to be able to mix a total of at least 4 feeds.(three cams and an aux input for PP or other video input.)

I have a fairly small budget for this seeing as most money will be going into getting some good cameras.

Please leave your recommendations or point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Sean T. Hayes

Ken Freeman

Re: Video Mixer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:50:23 PM »

So, how much time have you got to learn about a whole new business before you jump in?  

Ken

Sean Hayes

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:02:45 AM »

Don't worry, I am not going to jump into this blindly. I plan on hiring out someone who knows how to work this business for a while until I feel comfortable. I run audio, so I would most likely be hiring someone else full time to run the video controls and have some more guys with roaming cameras. All depends on what the client wants. It might not even happen, might just work out better to work closely with a video company on shows. I just know that a lot of my clients often want video for corporate gigs and things of that sort. I want to be able to offer them that service. I plan to start small with it and grow as I am able and as needed based on client request.

No matter how this pans out, right now I am just getting a better feel for how the video realm does things and getting to know equipment and basics of video.

Thanks for any replies or advice on how to make this idea pan out.
Sean T. Hayes

Ken Freeman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 12:32:44 AM »

Starting from scrath...

Your Switcher:  

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?m =10008&p=13&sp=102&id=76323

Your Cameras:

HD:   http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?m =10014&p=2&sp=20&id=82573

SD: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?m =10005&p=2&sp=20157&id=75153

Have fun!

Ken

Ken Freeman

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:40:24 AM »

Check out the demo at UCSD with Sherman.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10008/ anycast.shtml?navid=anycast_station_live_content_producer

This is what my next generation of tech's is learning to use right now.

Ken

Sean Hayes

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 01:49:31 AM »

Hey Ken,
Thanks for the recommendations, however, that equipment is quite a ways out of my price range. Hopefully someday I can have a use for that kind of equipment.

I am looking for a very basic system. Two or three cameras. Any by cameras I do not mean robotic remote controlled cameras. No use for that. I am looking for cameras under $2K and a very basic video mixer. Something that I can switch between 3 or 4 video inputs. I know that this probably sounds like crap to you guys, but this is where I am at.

My clients are not asking for anything more than projection for their larger corporate events where one stationary camera and one or two roamers are needed.

Thanks again
Sean T. Hayes

Brad Weber

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »

Sean,

You mentioned an aux input from PowerPoint or "other video input".  It sounds like you are potentially going to have mixed video formats including computer graphics.  Is that true?

Some other questions.  What form are the cameras, are they mobile or on a tripod or dolly?  Do you want each camera to have the ability to be fixed or mobile?  Do you need to potentially address very varying size spaces where you may have cameras at different distances from one event to another?  Are you wanting to put the same image on both screens or do you want to be able to have something different on each screen?  Do you have the screens and projectors?  Might you need different size or types of screens and different lenses to accommodate different applications and venues?  What do you plan to do for communications with the camera operators?  What type of events are these, are they simpler corporate presentations or concert/multimedia type productions?  Would you also be recording?  All of these types of issues can affect what is required, from whether you need to provide tripods and heads to the camera requirements to the switcher to whether you need multiple lenses.  And depending upon the requirements, don't forget monitors, cables, production communication, racks, etc.

In many cases it makes sense to team with a video production company until you get a better feel for what really is needed and expected, as well as what clients will pay for this capability.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »

Sean Hayes wrote on Sat, 27 October 2007 00:49

Hey Ken,
Thanks for the recommendations, however, that equipment is quite a ways out of my price range. Hopefully someday I can have a use for that kind of equipment.

I am looking for a very basic system. Two or three cameras. Any by cameras I do not mean robotic remote controlled cameras. No use for that. I am looking for cameras under $2K and a very basic video mixer. Something that I can switch between 3 or 4 video inputs. I know that this probably sounds like crap to you guys, but this is where I am at.

My clients are not asking for anything more than projection for their larger corporate events where one stationary camera and one or two roamers are needed.

Thanks again

Video is not something that you can get into that cheap.

We made the mistake of doing this also. We got a basic Panasonic Video switcher that faded between inputs, and rented camera's from the local video production company who we rented audio gear to.

Next thing you know, the customer doesn't like having that riser in the middle of the crowd for that guy in jean's and a black t-shirt to stand behind a camera with all those wire's and what not. They also don't like having the large tripod's on the stage, or the random guy walking around up front of the stage.

Then they get this idea that they want more out of video. Now they want you to mix a DVD, two laptops, and three camera's together, and throw name's and transitions into it, along with record the video feed so they can send it up the line to the corporate heads to see and distribute around. Suddenly you're basic stuff is worthless because you have to go up to something bigger.

We went with the Sony remote camera's. One guy can run three of them and do transitions with our setup. The other thing you have to think about is you're preview screen's... how are you going to see what you're switching to before hand? We have Marshall screen's loaded into our rack to have everything previewed so as to not look like fools.

With the remote camera's you save on man hour's. You don't have to have intercom (Did you think about the intercom you would need to run to the camera guys?)

As for a switcher. We went with a Tricaster Studio. Far out of your budget, but the Tricaster normal one http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/tricaster.php would be plenty for you.... I would highly recommend going that route.

-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Ken Freeman

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »

Hey Sean as Adam has noted, the savings in labor and set-up time are huge.  If you don't have to deliver broadcast quality video on tape, I think you will find the the Sony system gives you 100 thousand dollar performance for about 40 grand all in and you can get the entire package into an SUV, by yourself.  When you add up the cost of cable, cases, intercom, monitor walls and need for 4 people as opposed to one, I think you will find the Sony solution to be a very efficient little package.

If you are telling me that you are not in a position to invest 40 grand on a complete system with three cameras and support, then plan on shooting a lot of wedding videos. You might find the latest generation of digital DV cameras that can also put out good video to be a good fit.  Anything you save on cameras may need to be put back into tripods and fluid heads. You will also spend a lot more of your gross on labor and loading in and loading out and the truck to haul it around in.  If you do head down this path, I might suggest a second hand Panasonic MX-70 switcher mated with your choice of scan converter or scalar so you can interface computers.

Ken

Brad Weber

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 07:46:56 PM »

Ken Freeman wrote on Sat, 27 October 2007 17:24

If you do head down this path, I might suggest a second hand Panasonic MX-70 switcher mated with your choice of scan converter or scalar so you can interface computers.

Just be aware that scan converting a computer image into a video switcher, processing it and then scaling it back to the projector (either in the projector or via an external scaler) may result in noticeable degradation of the image on a large screen.  If you do this with a lower cost scan converter and scaler it may well be an unacceptable result.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.