ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Maryland subwoofer shootout.  (Read 33092 times)

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
Re: Maryland mini subwoofer shootout.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 02:22:13 PM »

Hi Evan,

If I can make the date, count me in.  I could also bring along Danley TH-115's and QSC PL380's if you want them.

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 06:14:41 PM »

Hmm. I could take the train to BWI which, as I understand it, is just to the left of Glen Burnie, MD.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Steve Hurt

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

Sounds like a great project/event/idea.  I'd love to hear that selection of subs.

Hope you don't get a repeat of the PSW SubWoofer Shootout snipe-fest when you post whatever data you collect!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »

Let's hope the room will be bigger Laughing , but that should not be hard.

If they follow my idea, there is no attempt to get good data that would be used against other subs that are not present, but simply as a comparisom to each other.

Plus instead of a day to collect the data, probably an hour or less total, since there will not be different levels.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Ivan Beaver

Re: Maryland mini subwoofer shootout. SImple "measurement" idea-Forgot to add
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 07:04:37 PM »

Forgot to add another "step" in the setup process in Smaart.  Do not use the -12dB usual was your reference.

Since you do not know what levels you are going to get from the different subs, I would set both reference and measured levels closer to -15 or -18 to allow for the situation that if your 1st sub would be quite a bit less sensitive than some of the later units.  TO avoid possible input overload.

You might want to choose  one of the more efficient units to begin with.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Maryland subwoofer shootout.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 08:26:11 PM »

Updated!

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »

Just looking over your list.  That is an awesome cross section of subs that Lab Loungers ask questions about all the time.  A couple more, like a lower end Peavey or Yamaha 2 x 18 for reference and you'd answer a ton of questions for a lot of people.  

I'm more interested in this than a big sub shootout.
(And I really have no need for new subs!)

Googling the distance.......hmmmmmmmm..........

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 11:53:16 PM »

Steve Hurt wrote on Mon, 29 October 2007 21:02

Just looking over your list.  That is an awesome cross section of subs that Lab Loungers ask questions about all the time.  A couple more, like a lower end Peavey or Yamaha 2 x 18 for reference and you'd answer a ton of questions for a lot of people.  

Steve,
 This shoot-out started as a listening contest with the rowler, U15, QW218, LA400.  Now there is 11 subs on the bill.

I am also hoping that this will not turn out like the NYC Sub Shoot Out, I would like my U15s live past the 15th.  Since this is primarly a listening test, so Program to Amp wattage is taken into consideration.  So no K10 into a pair of U15s
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 11:56:35 PM »

Matt Vivlamore wrote on Mon, 29 October 2007 23:53

Steve,
 This shoot-out started as a listening contest with the rowler, U15, QW218, LA400.  Now there is 11 subs on the bill.

I am also hoping that this will not turn out like the NYC Sub Shoot Out, I would like my U15s live past the 15th.  Since this is primarly a listening test, so Program to Amp wattage is taken into consideration.

Oh yes, this is not going to be like other shootouts, the owner of the sub has a say on how hard the sub gets pushed. When they've had enough, we pull the plug on the sub. I dont want to blow anything up, unless they tell us to go for broke...

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 12:44:44 AM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 29 October 2007 22:56

Matt Vivlamore wrote on Mon, 29 October 2007 23:53

Steve,

I am also hoping that this will not turn out like the NYC Sub Shoot Out, I would like my U15s live past the 15th.  Since this is primarly a listening test, so Program to Amp wattage is taken into consideration.

Oh yes, this is not going to be like other shootouts, the owner of the sub has a say on how hard the sub gets pushed. When they've had enough, we pull the plug on the sub. I dont want to blow anything up, unless they tell us to go for broke...

Evan

Hey, we had permission!  Twisted Evil

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.