ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One  (Read 23598 times)

Aleksander Stensen

Re: Funktion One
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »

Grant Conklin wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 03:51

Hello Aleksander-
The answers you've been given so far don't really answer the question, do they?  

Ah! Finally someone who are able to answer my question. Thankyou very much! Laughing

Quality is often expensive, I don´t think the price is way to high...
About the colors I agree. I can understand that the designers don´t want to let a grill destroy the good sound that comes out of the cabinet and I´m sure they have a few thoughts behind the colors they have chosen, but it looks very special, and for corporate stuff this would never work. The customers want black "invisible" technical equipment. But it is possible to order the speakers with a grill and in other colors?

Thanks!

Paul Bell:

This sounds very strange to me, I have used the old versons of the Funktion One systems, Flash and Flood produced under the Turbosound name, many times. It has never disapointed me, and many others can tell you the same. The new versons are a huge step up from the old boxes!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 11:36:42 AM »

Aleksander Stensen wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 10:56

I have used the old versons of the Funktion One systems, Flash and Flood produced under the Turbosound name, many times.

No real comment here, but find it odd to refer to the Turbo products as old versions of Function One. Confused   Yes the same designers, but most people refer to a situation like this with the Function One being a new version of the Turbo.

Maybe it is just me.

My only experience with Funciton One (if you can call it that-NOT) was at the NSCA when they were first introduced, in their demo room.  The "sound" was "in your face" and would seem to cut through, but I would not even think of referring to it as "natural".  Of course this was in a demo room with prerecorded material and only single boxes, no arrays etc.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Jamie Taylor

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 08:28:55 AM »

I've heard the Funktion one a few times, and they're good speakers.  Nothing intrinsically wrong with them (as opposed to any other brand of speaker, really).  Honestly, it's good to see a system that's not a line array (but lets not start that argument).

I'll give you a great, real world reason as to why they're not more popular:

There's about three bands in the world that spec it on their rider.  Combine that with a high price, makes them a horrible ROI.

There's one system over here in Australia, and according to them (admittedly, this is heresay), it's the worst speaker investment they've ever made, not because it doesn't sound good, but because they haven't been able to make it earn it's money.  It wouldn't surprise me if that's true.

Unfortunately, especially in the mid-high level companies, they have to look beyond how a system sounds, and to how it can make them money.
Australian Event Productions

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

<a href="http://www.australianeventproductions.com" target="_blank">AEP.com</a>

Asian Representatives for <a href="http://www.adraudio.com" target="_blank"> ADRaudio Loudspeakers</a>

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 09:30:33 AM »

"I have used the old versions of the Funktion One systems, Flash and Flood produced under the Turbosound name, many times."

Turbosound products are a whole different design. Function One did not exist when Flash and Flood were designed.

As I said, my listening to these speakers resulted in less than good results confirmed by other people. Aside from the club they were removed from, there was at least one other large club that demoed them and bought other gear.

For your money, I think you can do better with another brand.
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

Aleksander Stensen

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 10:40:18 AM »

Paul Bell wrote on Mon, 22 October 2007 14:30

"I have used the old versions of the Funktion One systems, Flash and Flood produced under the Turbosound name, many times."

Turbosound products are a whole different design. Function One did not exist when Flash and Flood were designed.

http://www.funktion-one.com/SuperSonic-LSI-July2006.htm

If you read the text on this page you will understand what you are talking about.

The founders of Funktion one is the same that founded Turbosound. They made the TMS-3, Flashlight and Floodlight systems and now the third generation of this system, Resolution 5. The new Aspect system from Turbosund is something different, made after the founders Tony Andrews and John Newsham left together with several other members of the original Turbosound R&D team.  

Thankyou for still not answering my question Wink

rodney Coro almonte

• http://www.djcoro.com
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 12:02:32 PM »

I am not sure what Paul Bell is talking about. But funktion One sounds great at Cielo in NYC, Vanguard in LA, and at Set in Miami. These are the three places I have heard the Funktion One sound. There are plenty of other clubs around the US that have this sound system installed. I wouldn't say it not a popular system, just at that price/quality level only a small percentage of clubs install sound at that level.

Nightclub sound is another world thats not normally discussed about much on this forum. check out wavemusic.com for more on nightclub sound.

My favorite setup I have ever heard is Love NYC, but that a 100% analog system, not at all cheap by anyway.

Paul Bell

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 07:33:37 PM »

Hey Rodney, I have the luxury of operating in both the live band and DJ based club sound worlds. I’ve been to Cielo and will admit that the place sounds good. It’s because of all the heavy sound absorbing padding they smartly installed everywhere. The place has the acoustics of a well designed studio. A good room, quality electronics and proper adjustment will make most any speaker sound good. Put better speakers in there and it’ll sound better. The place has “club style” sub placement with the subs split. There is some degree of low frequency cancellation in the space.

Being you’re more of a club sound guy, I’ll tell you it was Spirit that installed and removed the Function One system. It was replaced with a Dash rig (which I’ve inherited at Webster Hall.) Other clubs demo’ed them, such as Crobar and they didn’t like them.

My experience at the Function One demo was real, the cabinets do not have good high frequency pattern control or throw. The upper midrange control is also mediocre. These are just my conclusions and with proper tuning, maybe they’ll sound better. However, I’d point out that at this demo, Function One was there and set up all the tunings. Perhaps these speakers would be best used as RLA style monster dance stacks. It’ll be plenty loud and honky from all those horns but if that’s what the people think is good and want to hear, who are we to judge?

If you like these speakers, by all means use them. The original poster asked why they weren’t more popular and with my experience hearing them at the factory demo and elsewhere, I had a real world and meaningful opinion to express that might’ve answered his question.
Paul Bell
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

rodney Coro almonte

• http://www.djcoro.com
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

Paul, by no means I wasn't trying to offend you. I know you have been around and installing sound for a long time, so I trust your judgement. I just haven't really heard Funktion One sound bad. I have heard steve dash work (old phazon) and I normally like his systems. Especially crobar miami (which is now cameo theater and they went with dynacord I believe)
I am a resident DJ at a club in tampa, and we are looking to do high end sound. And I know Funktion One was one of the names thrown around, so was Nexo, and custom cabinets. The club is probably a year away from make that major investment, but I am pushing for shorty to come in to design the systems. I really like shorty's systems.

Paul Bell

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 11:01:36 PM »

No worries, mate, I didn't take it that way.

Once upon a time, I did a club in Ybor...
Paul Bell
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:

Alexander Alkaev

• http://www.fk1.ru
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »

Hi!
I created blog about Funktion One in Russia:
http://www.fk1.ru
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.