ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone build the 18sound single 18 cab?  (Read 7336 times)

Bryan Kyrouac

Anyone build the 18sound single 18 cab?
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:40:33 AM »

Hi I stumbled on this cab design:

http://www.speakerstore.nl/index.php?l=en&pg=11&c=59

and was wondering if there was any opinions. Seems like the perfect  solution for my small rig.

Particularly interested in dampening options since the instructions are a bit vague.

Thanks in advance

Paul O'Brien

Re: Anyone build the 18sound single 18 cab?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:00:32 PM »

Bryan.    It's just a reflex cab, nothing too special. The "overdamped" design is a function of the driver more than anything. I guistimate the internal volume to be roughly 5.0cu.ft. which is small for an 18" driver.

If you plug the drivers TS specs into a modelling program like WinISD Pro (www.linearteam.dk), you can see the effects different box sizes and port tuning will have. The Pro version will also simulate power response so you can see how much power the system will take before cone excursion becomes an issue. The modeled response in WinISD and the measured response published in the project are close enough to be considered valid. I don' think any additional EQ would even be necessary, the system should provide fairly flat response down to 50hz all on it's own, and soak up 1200w without exceeding xmax. It will definitely make a compact and powerful sub.

P.S. The port dimensions in the plans tune the box to about 40hz, this accounts for the gentle rolloff in response as frequency drops. With this tuning driver excursion is exeeded at 900w. If you raise the tuning to 50hz,(make the ports 7.5" deep instead is 13") the system response is now flat and power handling goes to 1200w before excursion is exceeded. The tradeoff is steeper rolloff below tuning, but if maximum power handling for short term peaks is the goal, then this is the tuning you want.
Paul O

Bryan Kyrouac

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:12:12 PM »

Thanks Paul!
Very glad I asked.
Bryan

Chris Davidson

• http://www.tuffer.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:17:35 PM »

I have a pair of these loaded with Fane 18XBs. Will try them for the first time on the 10th Nov.  Will let you know how it goes.

Bryan Kyrouac

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »

Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I actually just completed pair using the lighter driver option. They got their first workout last night. I left the cab tuned as they suggested in the plan, and also as they suggested, put a parametric EQ boosted at 32hz.

While there's more tweaking I still need to do, I'm pretty impressed. It's a very good match for my Bag End tops. Surprisingly deep.

I used a pound and a half of Dacron, but feel another pound or two maybe needed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Over all, real impressed.

Chris Davidson

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 05:05:34 AM »

Yea, I was quite impressed with mine too.  They sounded really nice with the Fane XB drivers.  Probably not the hardest hitting but very musical.  Would like to try them with th Void V18-1200 driver, that would be interesting!

Bryan Kyrouac

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:50:18 PM »

How did you do your stuffing?

Chris Davidson

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 04:46:49 AM »

I haven't added any yet.  Sometimes I wonder about the benefits of this in bass cabs.

Julian Baptista

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:43:10 PM »

So I am thinking of building one or two of these, and I was wondering what sort of driver to use that is easily available in the USA, I'd love some ideas. I am really a beginner, especially at building, so preferably the driver would be less than $200.
Thanks.

Nathan DePaulo

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 11:43:34 AM »

My limited research into that very questions has led me to 18Sound and B&C for good value manufacturers.  I lean to neo drivers because weight is really important to me, but you can get similar (sometimes better performance) from ceramic magnet speakers for less money.

Check their websites, and see if you find something with the qualities you want.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.