ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Audio Blog  (Read 3134 times)

Jack Bauer

New Audio Blog
« on: October 12, 2007, 01:47:35 PM »

Hi there,

I'm a sound engineer from Greece and recently I made the decision to start my very own blog about audio, so that I can reinforce the audio community even a little bit. The blog's subjects include professional audio, music and tech news, and more. I would be glad if some of you would pass by even for a mere glance and let me know of whatever you might like or not. All comments are always welcome. I do my best to research and post quality content every day.

http://www.audioworkbench.com

Thanks in advance for your time!

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: New Audio Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:22:15 AM »

Jack Bauer wrote on Fri, 12 October 2007 10:47

Hi there,

I'm a sound engineer from Greece and recently I made the decision to start my very own blog about audio, so that I can reinforce the audio community even a little bit. The blog's subjects include professional audio, music and tech news, and more. I would be glad if some of you would pass by even for a mere glance and let me know of whatever you might like or not. All comments are always welcome. I do my best to research and post quality content every day.

http://www.audioworkbench.com

Thanks in advance for your time!

Dude, your "Digital Audio Explained" has a bunch of fundamental errors.  First and foremost, the square wave you show (wavesinesampled.jpg) as an example of why you sample at > 2x the highest frequency component is wrong.  Also, your graphic that shows the effects of 8-bit words vs 16-bit words is not correct.  Put simply, you don't simply draw a line to connect the dots of each sample.  Look up "reconstruction filter."  Dan Lavry's web site has an excellent explanation, complete with some MathCad graphs.

You also say, "As a rule, with each bit added, we gain 6 dB of dynamic range. Keep in mind that the dB is a logarithmic value, and practically means that with 6 dB more the signal gets twice as loud."  The first sentence is correct; adding a bit increases the dynamic range by 6.02 dB.  But the second statement, "6 dB more [means] the signal gets twice as loud," is wrong.  Adding bits improves resolution at the low end, assuming your reference stays the same.

-a

PS: is your name really Jack Bauer?
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Scott Deeter

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:48:12 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 21 October 2007 00:22

-a

PS: is your name really Jack Bauer?

Give him 1 day to respond Laughing
Take care,
Scott Deeter

Sean Hayes

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »

Jack Bauer? really? Hmm...I did not know that was a name very common in Greece...odd
Sean T. Hayes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.