ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR Speakers "Growler" is Going on a Road Test  (Read 84862 times)

Robert Lunceford

Re: JTR Speakers "Growler" is Going on a Road Test
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 11:20:51 AM »

What are the physical dimensions and weight of the Growlers?

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 11:27:38 AM »

Robert Lunceford wrote on Tue, 11 December 2007 11:20

What are the physical dimensions and weight of the Growlers?

http://www.jtrspeakers.com/growler.html

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
Re: Evan vs. the Growlers, round 1
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »

Ya, Ive got foam padding under mine for hard floors, keeps them from walking and gravel from sticking/digging into the line-x. It doubles as trailer packing material between cabs. No corners on my, just naked.

I'm impressed they pass the Evan TRX test, but I think Im gonna keep my RMX2450s wired up to mine, they seem a very good match.
never had to clip them.

Update: I had a long drive home in the snow and thought about Evan's outing with the Growlers.

I don't believe you can simply throw speakers together and call it a system and expect it to perform to it's full potential.

My thoughts:

1 As a system both the tops and subs need to be "dialed in". You can simply crank the tops and expect the subs to keep up.

2 If the tops are very efficient compared to the subs, they most probably dont need as much gain as the subs. In other words you cant simply swap in another set of subs while leaving your tops gain the same and expect it to sound right.

2a. My experience shows that large linoleum floored halls EAT up bass.

3 Another sip of beer.. (that was a tough ride home thru the woods...) ah better, OK, if premise #1 and #2 are correct, then you need to start at the lowest common denominator, which is the max SPL you can get for the subs with the power you have. That means you need to back off the tops gain to match the subs.

4 No matter how large the room, your system is what it is, with the subs being the limiting factor, in this instance. Its not their fault, you simply need 2 more of them  - remember - those are only 500W 12" drivers in those cabinets, 4 cabinets for large hall would not be unreasonable, especially with those screaming tops.

Usually sub power and cabinet "density" is more than the mains, from my experience.

Glad Im not in a ditch,
Mike
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 09:42:49 PM »

Quote:

My thoughts:

1 As a system both the tops and subs need to be "dialed in". You can simply crank the tops and expect the subs to keep up.

2 If the tops are very efficient compared to the subs, they most probably dont need as much gain as the subs. In other words you cant simply swap in another set of subs while leaving your tops gain the same and expect it to sound right.

System was very much so "dialed in." I had the tops dialed back 10dB from the subs on the DR260 to balance things out. The PLX3002 was running signal lights, flickering -20 on louder parts, while the PL6.0 was into the limiters. Every kick hit was nearly clipping the subs, and the bass guitar had it pretty much solid at -20, sometimes even -10. I had the system properly delayed, crossed over and limited.

4 subs would probably be better, but I'll be passing on buying Growlers... I need something with a little more oomph. They would work well for weekend warriors with smaller tops though.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2007, 05:11:01 AM »

That still sounds mismatched to me  Very Happy
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Steve Hurt

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2007, 07:33:38 AM »

Evan,

Are you passing on the Growlers because (in your opinion):

a) one Growler won't out-thump one 2 x 18?
or
b) two Growlers won't out-thump one 2 x 18?

(my opinion is: if it's "a", I agree, if it's "b", you definitely did something wrong)

Vic Cowles

• http://none
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »

I agree things still sound mismatched.  Can't remember where it is,  However, I A-B'd the Growlers with JBL 728's. (The Growlers won) I'm running Growlers with SLS 960's. Your $ is you $. Do what you want. Your comment that the Growlers are ok for weekend warrior with smaller tops is right. However, they are right for bigger systems as well.  I am always lusting for better gear.  Hence my upgrade from JBL 4733X tops to the Community's. However, I'm finally not looking for better subs.
I have to keep my day job to pay for this one.

Rob Spence

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »

I agree that only 2 won't keep up but I expect only 2 of many subs have that issue.

I have metal corners on mine. I would like rubber feet too I think. One problem I had early on when I stacked them on their sides was that the metal to metal corner contact buzzed like crazy. I dealt with it by puttting a pad between them. These days I have them side by side so isn't an issue.

I would like side handles like every other sub out there too.

I do like them though Smile
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2007, 11:31:57 AM »

Steve Hurt wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 07:33

Evan,

Are you passing on the Growlers because (in your opinion):

a) one Growler won't out-thump one 2 x 18?
or
b) two Growlers won't out-thump one 2 x 18?

(my opinion is: if it's "a", I agree, if it's "b", you definitely did something wrong)

Hi Steve,
2 Growlers can outrun 1 QW218, but 2 QW218's win IMO. 4 Growlers, well, I dont know what would win there.

This weekend will be interesting. My money is on EAW SB1000z's right now, but who knows after tomorrow!

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Rob Spence

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2007, 11:33:02 AM »

If you are in to the limiters on a PL6 on only 2 subs, you have it turned up too loud. Two Growlers isn't enough rig for the gig for the kind of stuff you do. Note, no sub you have tried has been enough even with 4 of them so...

I have 4 Growlers and they do well even with 2 per side and even better all center clustered.

For what you do, I would think a 4 block per side would be sweet. Nice and modular too so for smaller gigs you can bring fewer.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.